PDA

View Full Version : Compression readings on 198,000 mile A20A1

88Accord-DX
12-10-2005, 06:38 AM
I did a compression test on my Accord with 198,000 miles. It has 150 p.s.i. accross all the cylinders. From what I have seen on here, 180 p.s.i. is the stock reading & 142 p.s.i. is the lowest you should have.
I'm replacing the head gasket, but was thinking these compression readings are a little too low for me. Do you guys think it is time for a rebuild? I'm thinking I should, but wasn't sure. Just thought I could have gotten more life out of the engine. What are some of you guys compression readings & when would you consider the engine "too worn out"? Thanks..

SteveDX89
12-10-2005, 08:03 AM
I wouldn't complain too much about 150 psi. If one was way out of whack or it was less than the minimum, I would consider a rebuild. However, seems that you have the tools readily available and the time to do it so maybe it would easier for you to do a rebuild.

Vanilla Sky
12-10-2005, 08:16 AM
since you have the tools available and the capability to perform the rebuild, i'd go ahead and rebuild. if you didn't have the tools and the capability to do the vast majority of the work yourself, i'd say keep driving it until it died completely.

either way, i'm pretty sure that you ahve a good candidate for a rebuild. if it's that even, i'm pretty sure it's in good condition otherwise with no real abnormal wear. that's the prime engine for a high performance rebuild.

AccordEpicenter
12-10-2005, 08:28 AM
It should run fine with 150 in every cyl. How much oil was it using before you took it apart? If you want, you could get new rings and pistons if everything else looks good, and do a deglazing hone and put it back together for a modest improvement

88Accord-DX
12-10-2005, 09:03 AM
It should run fine with 150 in every cyl. How much oil was it using before you took it apart? If you want, you could get new rings and pistons if everything else looks good, and do a deglazing hone and put it back together for a modest improvement
Yeah, it would run fine, but who knows how long. It used oil from a leaking head gasket, not burning it. I'll pop some pics of my progress here in the later part of next week.
The thing is, I don't know where I can just get pistons, rings, bearings for it without spending top dollar. I seen rebuild kits that run about 3 bills from Topline. I hope the block & crank wouldn't need serious machine work if I decide to rebuild it. :ugh:
Does anyone know where you can get a decent rebuild kit for A20A1 for dirt cheap?

I would still like to hear more insight on this thread guys, please...

gfrg88
12-10-2005, 09:16 AM
ive seen piston sets on ebay, but im not sure if theyre any good or not :dunno:

88Accord-DX
12-10-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm looking for the whole rebuild kit. Anyone tried either one of these before? I heard Top-Line is pretty good. (second link)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ENGINE-KIT-HONDA-2-0-SOHC-12V-85-89-ACCORD-PRELUDE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33620QQitemZ802 0786585

http://www.rpmmachine.com/enginerebuildkitshondatop.html

lostforawhile
12-10-2005, 06:11 PM
i wouldn't worry about the crank it's probably,you could send it out and have it polished thats about it. if it wasn't knocking i wouldn't worry about it. I've heard of top line,I guess they aren't too bad,have you checked summit racing yet? they do carry engine rebuild kits for hondas. my recomendation is to find a local engine rebuilder and see what they use,you might be able to order a kit from them too.

88Accord-DX
12-11-2005, 12:20 PM
have you checked summit racing yet? they do carry engine rebuild kits for hondas. my recomendation is to find a local engine rebuilder and see what they use,you might be able to order a kit from them too.
I looked at Summit Racing just a second ago, & couldn't find one. I haven't seen any local engine rebuilders. (population 34,000.) I don't think this parts house I get discount prices on can get one for around $300..

Once I pull the head off, I'll make a decision on whether I'll want to rebuild it. I'd like to see the cylinder walls. Yeah, the crank could probably just have it polished & should be fine. Plastigauging bearings to see specs if I get in there. Wish I had an unlimited pocket book for it.

lostforawhile
12-11-2005, 07:14 PM
did you look in the catalog or did you call them? they have a lot of stuff not listed in the catalog. also try jegs.

87AccordsterLx
12-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Wish I had an unlimited pocket book for it.

Don't we all... :)

150psi is not bad. I would take the head off and check the cycl. walls for scaring and the piston head as well. If all looks good a decent HG might help but it might not. If you are not burning a lot of oil I would just replace the HG. Unless you want to do a rebuild just to do it... Which is always fun. :)

shepherd79
12-12-2005, 08:49 AM
I would remove the cylinder head and clean the valves (remove all the carbon) and grind them into the cylinder head to make sure they seat tight.

Kabuki
12-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Ouch guys... I'm hurt that no one though of ME when asked about rebuild kits! The stuff you need is going to vary with what you are intent on doing. Don't bother replacing the pistons unless one is broken or the cylinder walls are really scarred up, forcing you to bore the block. If you plan on just honing the cylinders, then just replace the rings, bearings, and gaskets. And don't bother removing the engine... Just hone the cylinders in the car. It's a LOT less work and gives a great result. Honda list for the rings, bearings, head gasket set, pan gasket, thermostat... Basically everything you'd need for a basic job, is about $550. I'd be happy to send out a set for $250, shipped. Let me know what you guys think.

Honda-Master
12-12-2005, 10:57 PM
I would remove the cylinder head and clean the valves (remove all the carbon) and grind them into the cylinder head to make sure they seat tight.

you don't have to grind the valves , unless you replace valve guides ,, to make sure they seat right just lap them ,,,if they don't seat properly then grind them,,,,but what i have found out on many occasions that you only need to lap them and they will seat properly ..