PDA

View Full Version : Urgent: got new clutch but clutch pedal/spring/cable does not work!!

honda
12-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Sorry to double post, but I need a reply on this by Monday!! (have to return car to mechanic I'm not sure understands the car properly) and I didn't give it a good title the first time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
posted by Honda

what does the bracket look like and what does it do (want to see if I can try to see it myself)?

What is the return spring on the clutch pedal (is that inside the clutch itself, or something else?)

>i have seen a few broken brackets under the dash where the pedals attach, >have them chk that out ,, also make sure the return spring on the clutch >pedal is ok,, have them recheck the cable and adjustment mayve they did >not have the cable seated properly in the tranny lever hole and after a few >uses it slipped in and now u got way too much free play

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted by Honda Master

Re: clutch

i have seen a few broken brackets under the dash where the pedals attach, have them chk that out ,, also make sure the return spring on the clutch pedal is ok,, have them recheck the cable and adjustment mayve they did not have the cable seated properly in the tranny lever hole and after a few uses it slipped in and now u got way too much

-------

posted by Honda

Thanks, cardoc.

Bracket under the dash? The cable for the clutch is accessible under the dash?

>Well, it's either inside the bellhousing, the cable or the bracket under the >dash. Bite the bullit and have them replace the cable in addition to >whatever they plan to do to correct the problem.

Why would a new cable help if the old cable is fine? Can they look at the cable to see if it's ok?

>If you are close enough to the shop, go down there and have them show >you what happened before they fix it.

How would they do that? When I took it there before, the mechanic pressed on the clutch while another mechanic looked under the hood. He saw the cable or some part that attaches to the clutch under the hood moving, so he said, no the cable was fine.

>Call them NOW. More than likely, it's not the bracket. I think it might be the >cable getting stuck.

I called them, they said they couldn't work on it for sure until next week(!)

What would the cable be getting stuck on?

posted by cardoc33

Well, it's either inside the bellhousing, the cable or the bracket under the dash. Bite the bullit and have them replace the cable in addition to whatever they plan to do to correct the problem. If you are close enough to the shop, go down there and have them show you what happened before they fix it. Call them NOW. More than likely, it's not the bracket. I think it might be the cable getting stuck. Have them show you the old clutch parts.
Good Luck!

--------

Honda Accord LXi. I was going to take my honda in for a new clutch, when I pressed down the clutch pedal, and it didn't spring back. It would stay up or down, but not spring back. So I took it to a place, had a new clutch put in. I asked if it was the cable, they said no, it was the clutch. They said the reason the clutch didn't spring back was because the bearing had pressed through the pressure plate and was stuck. Fine. So I had the new clutch.

I drove it for a day, and then, suddenly there it was again. Press the clutch pedal down, and it doesn't come back up. This is with the new clutch. Whatever repair they did obviously wasn't done correctly. Also, another repair not done correctly: the day I got the clutch, after they put things back together, the speedometer wasn't working. I had to take it back to them, and they had a hard time connecting the cable for the speedometer but finally did it.

So now I have to take it back to this place to get the clutch worked on again. (FYI, they also put in a new passenger side axle when they put in the clutch.)

Anything anyone can tell me about what might be causing this? I'm pretty uneasy about having these people work on it again, but it costs enough that I can't just take it to another place to have them work on it.

shepherd79
12-11-2005, 11:26 AM
well, any good mechanic can fix the problem right. apperently the place you took your car to, didn't do the job right. take to another place, a place that is well known in town.

honda
12-11-2005, 11:24 PM
I would except I've already paid all I can to this place, and can't afford to have another place redo it all. Can you tell me anything about the cable, its adjustment, and how it seats in the transmission hole, return spring on the clutch pedal, bracket under the dash, or what could be 'inside the bell housing' that could cause this? When they took out the old clutch would they have removed the cable and looked at it the whole cable, or would they just have been working with the end of the cable?

When the mechanic completed the repair, he said he had adjusted the cable so that the clutch engaged midway. When I stepped on the pedal, it felt "soft" to me. A new clutch I've had before felt "firm" by comparison. Don't know if that's significant.

honda
12-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Well I would but I've already paid all I can to this place (it is a well known place) and can't afford to have another place do it all over. (Makes me wonder if the guy did it on purpose.) Can you tell me anything more about the cable, its adjustment and its placing in the transmission hole, the return spring on the clutch pedal, bracket under the dash, or what inside the 'bell housing' that could be causing this? (so I have a slightly better understanding and can maybe guide the mechanic).

When they removed the old clutch would they have removed the whole cable or just been working with the end of it (wondering if they checked the condition of the cable or if they can easily do that when I take it in).

When he completed the repair, the mechanic said he had adjusted the clutch so it engaged midway. When I stepped on the pedal, it felt "soft" or like there wasn't a lot of tension in the pedal, in comparison to a new clutch I've had before which felt "firm". Don't know if that's significant.

shepherd79
12-12-2005, 08:52 AM
yeah, make sure it is not a cable.
i had a simular problem on my car. i replaced the cable and it fixed the problem.
cable is cheap from autoparts stores and it is easy to install.

honda
12-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Thanks.

Can anyone tell me more about the return spring on the clutch pedal, the bracket under the dash, or how the cable fits through the hole in the transmission or what it can get stuck on?