PDA

View Full Version : Engine To dO's

phatphipps86
08-17-2002, 09:29 PM
ok, few questions. First ima tell ya right off i am not a pro at cars or engines, by far i might ad. anyways i am doin some mods and stuf to my engine, i was wonderin about the small filters you can buy that tie on to the engine where the air intake thing is. what the purpose for this and what do i gain from it.

http://www.quickclic.net/~coaster/i1.html im talking about the filter right above the H emblem.

also what do i gain by adding a accel coil.

last but not least how in the hell do i adjust my carb. my car sits and has a putting effect when it is ideling. aslo sometimes the high rpm idel doesnt seem to disengage after the car has been on for a bit. i have to tap the gas for it to idel low. how could i fix this.

pimp86LX
08-17-2002, 10:04 PM
is that the pcv return with that lil filter on? weird,

night
08-17-2002, 10:07 PM
hittin the gas to knock the idle down is the way it is supposed to be.

dont get those little filters they are not good for the engine.

a coil alone will not give you much of anything. not likely to be even noticeable

carobotics
08-18-2002, 12:47 PM
k, that little filter, not entirely sure, but I think it adds an even more unrestricted way of venting crankcase gases. It just puts it strait out to the atmosphere instead of sending it through the intake to get burned again.
Next, our cars, if you let them idle long enough, do automatically kick down. That's what all that extra linkage is for. If you'r impatient, you can kick it down yourself. If you go driveing around, and it doesn't kick down right away when the engine is fairly warm, than the kickdown linkages are sticky. Get some carb cleaner, take your air cleaner houseing off, and completly soak all the linkages with the carb cleaner. If that doesn't work, try a different brand. If none of the brands work, or if you're tired of buying carb cleaner, than rebuild the carb. rebuliding a carb can seem kinda of scary, but it is not that difficult. Just have a large open space, with room to organize the parts. Have some solvent for soaking and compressed air for blowing the solvent out of the passageways.

Last, getting a coil is noticable. But, getting a coil, with 8mm wires and some hotter plugs with a larger gap (not too large though) is better. In canada, the accel coil was cheeper than the stock one (bout $43 for yellow) and the 8mm wires could be anywhere from $40-$150. A set of 8mm NGK wires is $41.49

pimp86LX
08-18-2002, 01:45 PM
that PCV filter thing is a waste of money, and besides don't our cars already have a pcv filter?

3rd GEN
08-18-2002, 03:33 PM
what i usually do to make it kick down sooner..

as soon as you first start your car, like in the morning, give it a quick punch... that will disengage your choke..

it stays reving at a high rpm because your choke has not yet released...but if you give it that quick punch in the begginning.. instead of driving off, it will idle down sooner..

jteuton
08-18-2002, 06:22 PM
yeah the thing recylcles through your air intake where your air filter has already cleaned the air....by seperating this device from the air intake (cai or aftermarket piece) you need to add its only little filter to stop dirt from enter the engine. It doesn't work as effeciently but as least it still lets blowby out. You see the orginal is under vacuum from the engine so the engine helps suck out the gases why with the filter it haves to just flow out under atmospheric pressure.....glad i could help

2Fast_Fiero
08-18-2002, 09:13 PM
Well, I was gonna make my own Cold Air Intake System, and that lil tube that comes off the Valve Cover and travels to the intake, Do I need to make some sort of connection for that tube into the intake that I'm making? and there was also 2 pipes comming out of that lil box up in the left hand corner on my pictures, do those need to be connected?

shepherd79
08-19-2002, 04:22 AM
well lets see. to get the air to the valve cover it has to go through the airfilter box. so all it does is suck air, so why it is not good just to putt this little filter. i have seen many times this kind filters on V8 engines. i think it is ok to have them. and you can get them at any autostore.

jteuton
08-19-2002, 09:33 AM
its not as effective cause its no longer under vacuum......but they work just fine

pimp86LX
08-19-2002, 11:11 AM
whatever you decide, just make sure your sure about what your doing as to not cause serious damage down the road

1988starter
08-19-2002, 02:24 PM
I had one drove with it for 10 min found no power increase in fact a little drop and got my10 bucks back

staticpat
08-19-2002, 02:32 PM
yeah but you need it if you make your own intake, right?

shepherd79
08-19-2002, 02:55 PM
yeah you will need it if are making your own intake or you have fliped lid.

2Fast_Fiero
08-19-2002, 03:31 PM
Yes, I'm designing a TRU Ceramic Cold Air Intake, I'm taking what Team Del Sol did and tryin to figure out something more effective since thier cold air intake blew away name brand cold air intakes, I wanna make it better HEHE:fight::chainsaw::badass: