PDA

View Full Version : ummm my lower gigantic pulley flew off my engine

T-Funk
12-12-2005, 06:48 PM
i dont know what you call it but the alternator belt and power steering belt are connected to it
i heard a gigantic clunk when i started the car just now and now all the belts are off and the thing is just sittin in my engine bay and the bolt is hangin out of it
hope the bolt just came off or broke and some piece inside didnt snap :o

car ran normal though except idles higher cause no power consumption from those two things and of course the check battery light on

what would this break? :P

maka_RTH
12-12-2005, 06:57 PM
the end of your crankshaft.., if it broke off.. that's not a good thing. if you're really luck, it just came loose.., that's the hardest bolt to take off on the whole car though.. mostly cuz it turns the engine and stuff.., it's getting it to not turn everything and still be able to take it off that sucks. good luck.., hope nothings really broken..

Swap_File
12-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Mine broke off too for no apparent reason. Part of the bolt was stuck in the crankshaft, but it turned out easily with a dentist pick. A new bolt and washer from Honda was $20. There are two sizes of crankshaft bolts, make sure to know what size your crankshaft uses and make sure you can get the old bolt out before ordering parts.

Edit: The coolant pump is driven by the alternator belt... I wouldn't drive the car with it not working.

T-Funk
12-12-2005, 07:48 PM
thx for the input guys

ill have to check everything out more closely when its daylight

oh well thank god for backup cars

88Accord-DX
12-12-2005, 08:28 PM
If the bolt is broke off in the crankshaft & you can't get it out. Only if you have a little bit of it sticking out, you can weld a big nut in the middle to take it out. That worked on some broken bolts I've delt with.
If you can't get it out, your looking at a new crankshaft. Let us know how it works out.

NXRacer
12-13-2005, 06:10 PM
um, won't the engine fall apart if that pully isnt on there? its got a balancer n shit on it. i wouldnt run the engine until you get your crank pully back on there are secured.

88Accord-DX
12-13-2005, 06:17 PM
um, won't the engine fall apart if that pully isnt on there? its got a balancer n shit on it.
I don't see anything happening really.. Other than it getting hot. You don't see harmonic balancers on the 86-89 Accord, mainly harmonic balancers are on big block motors.

Edit- few other things that are going to happen are no power stearing, no charge from the alternator.

T-Funk
12-15-2005, 03:31 PM
so i got a chance to look at the thing, pulley looks fine, bolt completely intact, belts ok, cant find the key though i thought i heard something small fall when i took out the pulley
anways no biggie im gonna buy a new key and quite possibly bolt and washer just in case and put it back on quick so i can get it outta my parkade and take it somewhere to double check that its ok
looks a little worn around the key slot so maybe the key just got worn down some how and the bolt was able to loosen off

:ugh: