PDA

View Full Version : Pinging

Mars
12-13-2005, 06:34 AM
Hey guys, recently ive noticed i get pinging under medium - heavey throttle.
I tried some berrymans octane boos/carb cleaner and it still pinged on me and i just got crappy mileage. Any idea what this is?

Honda-Master
12-13-2005, 06:46 AM
chk the timing ...

dub88acc
12-13-2005, 09:04 AM
change fuel fiters, if it still does it you need a new fuel pump. I have the same problem

Honda-Master
12-13-2005, 11:22 AM
change fuel fiters, if it still does it you need a new fuel pump. I have the same problem

What ???? you are kidding me right ??

Lumpskie
12-13-2005, 01:28 PM
I have a problem with pinging as well. Only below 3500rpm, when its above 90deg. I believe that my timing is correct. I don't know about the age of my fuel filter, but I have a new one to install, regardless. Incidently, how would changing the fuel filter help? Do you think it's impeding fuel flow and making the car run too lean? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kabuki
12-13-2005, 02:59 PM
If it's fuel injected, yes, a clogged filter could cause low pressure, and in turn, lean condition. But not if it's carbed. Check the timing, check your vacuum advance, check for vacuum leaks.

88Accord-DX
12-13-2005, 03:29 PM
Detonation
Detonation results when part of the unburned air-fuel mixture explodes violently. This is the most severe & engine damaging type of abnormal combustion.
Commonly referred to as spark knock or ping. Uncontrolled second explosion (after the spark occurs at the spark plug).
Engine knock is a syptom of detonation. The combustion chamber pressure rises so quickly that parts of the engine vibrate. Detonation sounds like a hammer hitting the side of the engine. Detonation can greatly increase the pressure & heat in the combustion chamber. Detonation damage includes cracked cylinder heads, blown head gaskets, burned pistons, & shattered spark plugs.

Preignition
Preignition results when an overheated surface in the combustion chamber ignites the air/fuel mixture. Termed surface ignition, a "hot spot" (overheated bit of carbon, sharp metal edgde, hot exhaust vavle} causes the mixture to burn premeturely.

A ping, or mild knock, is a light tapping noise that can be heard during preignition. It is not as loud as or harmful as detonation knock.
Preigition is similar to detonation, but the action are reversed. Detonation begins after the start of normal combustion. Preignition begins before the start of normal combustion.

Lumpskie
12-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Thanks alot for the info...I'm going to change mine today and see how it works.

Cant Stop
12-13-2005, 07:39 PM
if it sounds like a diesel then give it a tuneup
my company wont tune the company truck so to compensate i run mid grade gas in it , it runs a lot better, as the plugs wear out the gap gets bigger causing poor performance which in turn leads to the diesel noise i believe a post spark detonnation? anyways a good tuneup would help especially if it has not been done in quite awhile or you used cheap parts

Lumpskie
12-13-2005, 09:46 PM
I just got done replacing my fuel filter. Running it on the new filter made an amazing difference! I actually felt a power increase over the whole range of RPM from idle to redline. I cannot tell how it'll handle the heat, but I feel pretty confident that the filter was the fix. Thanks for the input guys!

Mars
12-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Btw mine is carb, i ran some premium and bottle of octane boost/inject/carb cleaner through it, seems to be fine now