PDA

View Full Version : ignition upgrades?

Cant Stop
12-13-2005, 07:59 PM
i was looking at my online jc whitney catalog when i saw some of those aftermarket ignition parts,the big red box from mallory plus the monster coils anyone know which one is best on a medium budget?
or which ones can be used, are they truly universal, just plug them in and go?
i didnt see any while searching specific to our cars

2drSE-i
12-13-2005, 10:55 PM
try searching MSD, i think its pretty much agreed they are the best

Kabuki
12-14-2005, 12:18 PM
You'll also find that unless you are boosting or have some really heavy duty modifications, that buying non-OE ignition parts is a waste of time and money. I've written everything up and posted here: http://vskabuki.blogspot.com/

High energy coils and multiple spark discharge units don't add power. They only help in an instance where the stock coil doesn't have enough energy to ignite a particularly lean or rich mixture. But if that's the case, then you have other issues that need to be addressed, and the aftermarket unit is just a band-aid.

AccordEpicenter
12-14-2005, 02:07 PM
I havent needed any ignition upgrades yet, even at 13psi. Im not sure how much id benefit on a MSD box though. I smoked that Accel coil in 2-3 days

Cant Stop
12-14-2005, 04:36 PM
i stripped my black box so maybe i should go ahead and just give it a great tuneup with the brands that were recomended in kabuki's reply,
kabuki i am going to check your link too, do you know of any performance rebuild kits for our carbs or was that a misquote?
also i am going to oput a pair of kei hin carbs on from a lude and need to rejet them bigger any help?

Cant Stop
12-14-2005, 04:36 PM
i stripped my black box so maybe i should go ahead and just give it a great tuneup with the brands that were recomended in kabuki's reply,
kabuki i am going to check your link too, do you know of any performance rebuild kits for our carbs or was that a misquote?
also i am going to oput a pair of kei hin carbs on from a lude and need to rejet them bigger any help?

Kabuki
12-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Are you going to make a custom intake manifold? The 2G Lude dual carb setup actually uses a different head casting with round ports. The 3G Lude Dual carb unit has even a different setup with square ports. Either will probably work, but would need the intake manifold to be changed a bit. I can get the OE style rebuild kit for the 2G Ludes, shipped out for $130. Or the rebuild kit for the 3G Lude for the same $130. I can do some looking, but I don't really know about larger jets. You may not need them, but it probably depends upon which setup you are using.

gfrg88
12-14-2005, 07:04 PM
if you want to use the 2g lude's intake mani and carbs, i think you need to swap the whole head onto our engines (those ludes are the a18 right) not really sure on this, its somewhere on here

Cant Stop
12-14-2005, 08:25 PM
ya i was going to modify the 2 intakes into one,
our head side and their carb side or custom the carb side from scratch with just the carb mounting flanges used the one i have is the round to head 2g, lude

A20A1
12-16-2005, 04:28 PM
How much would 4 Keihin bike style carbs from the 2G be?

89se-i
12-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I have an MSD setup [ 6-A and blaster coil] on my altima.... I dont reccomend it, but i got them both for 80 bucks, which I couldnt pass up. Idle is smoothed out, throttle response seems better, go through spark plugs about 3 times faster.

All in all, its not really worth it until heavy engine mods.