PDA

View Full Version : Q: Floor jack and jack stands

visionguru
12-14-2005, 10:25 AM
I recently purchased a floor jack and a pair of jack stands (2-ton), hoping to be able to get under the car.
http://torinjacks.com/images/ProductImage/l/6.jpg
http://torinjacks.com/images/ProductImage/l/32.jpg
The lift range of the floor jack is 14". I used the jack on the front jacking point (the big hook). When the jack reaches the highest point, I can barely insert the two jack stands at the jacking points behind the front wheel, and the jack stands are at their lowest height (about 10"). I don't think that's enough for me to go under.

I used ramps before, but it's a PITA to use. I once drive over the ramp and had the ramp stuck.

What do you use to jack up the car in order to do some work from underneath?
Should I consider more expensive jacks with more lift height? or there are some other tricks?

Kabuki
12-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Either buy a jack with a longer reach, or jack up the front, get the stands in, and then go back to the sides individually and raise each one higher.

shepherd79
12-14-2005, 06:22 PM
i use better jack with more lift. I can jack up my front way up in the air and adjust the jack stands to 3-4 clicks.
i have craftsman 3.5 ton jack. that baby can lift anything.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-14-2005, 06:43 PM
My floor jack maxes out at 21" of lift and can lift 3.5 tons. That is plenty to do just about anything under the car. I also have a small jack like the one pictured and is really pretty useless unless you carry it in your trunk for changing tires in case of emergency.

A18A
12-14-2005, 10:01 PM
my jack is exactly the same as that one and when i put my car on stands there was a place under the engine area, 2 bolts going up with fat washers, thats were i put my stands. OR you could just get a pallet or something strong and drive up on it, im 2 lazy 2 explain, like this:
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5699/untitled6ko.jpg

halxi
12-14-2005, 10:32 PM
in my car (which is lowered about 2") i use the following

put 2 2x4's in front of each tire
drive up onto them
there is a sub-frame jack point that you can get to from an angle angling in from the rear of the car, jack by that
my jacks royally f'd so it max's at about 2/3 of its max height, and it creates alot of problems, but i get my car up enought o get 1-3 clicks up on the stands, dependent on how much i need.

I rarely use the front center jacking point anymore, simply doesnt raise the car high enough.

bobafett
12-14-2005, 11:13 PM
i bought the $200 craftsman aluminum 'racing' jack. its awesome, but i have taken 2 back for breaking. but the 3rd one is working great so far!

i built a set of custom ramps for my 240 which was SUPPPPER low... i got 1x8's and staggered them.... i would have a 6 foot then a 5 foot on top and then a 4, and so forth. you end up with like a 4" high ramp that practically any lowered car could drive on. i took some flexible 1/8" board and screwed it in on top, and then a short 1x8 that is high enough to keep the tires from rolling off the back edge. costs maybe $20 in wood and screws.... i used shims on each step before i screwed the wooden panel on top, it kept them from breaking for the most part.

but yeah, the only other thing u can do is stack blocks of wood on top of your jack. but unless it has a really wide platform 4"+ i wouldnt reccomend this, cause its not that safe. :(

VTEC_Inside
12-15-2005, 01:20 AM
I feel your pain. I have a similar jack. I had to lift mine in 2-3 stages a couple weeks ago, jacked it up, put it on the lowest point of the stands, put a wood board under the jack, lift and raise the stands one notch, repeat.

It was a pain in the ass, but I don't have the cash for a better jack right now.

Busted_Blue
12-15-2005, 02:35 AM
I need to buy myself an aluminum racing jack for lower clearance to get to my jackpoint. I can't seem to clear the civic's front lip anymore. i have to use a scissor jack on the side jackpoint then use the 2.5ton jack in the front to jack up the car. The beauty of lowered cars.

Be sure to get jackstands with the sharp dip in the middle since Honda side jackpoints are points.

A18A
12-15-2005, 04:03 AM
well when i had a flatty the jack wouldnt fit under the car, i had 2 get my friend to lift the car up as much as he could lift it and i slipped the jack under, i dont think i should have to do that just to change my tyre :(

SteveDX89
12-15-2005, 05:43 AM
Use your jack at the jack up points just behind the front wheels. Go all the way up. Then underneath you can see where the power steering rack bolts to the frame. Stick your jack stands there.

A18A
12-15-2005, 05:50 AM
^the bolts i was talking bout (i think)

buds302
12-15-2005, 07:32 AM
ok im too lazy to jack up the car with a regular jack. i used a 2 1/2 ton engine hoist to get my car in the air. if you connect it right you an get the car atleast 5 feet off the ground. but be careful that your car doesnt overload the hoist or you could be killed. but hey i dont care. i get under there anyway. and i know what your thinnking. man this kid is stupid for useing an engine hoist. and you know what? in these days what ever works. i gotta use it.

2drSE-i
12-15-2005, 07:39 AM
i use my dads bad-ass hydraulic jack at his work. the ramps he has at work suck tho, i have to get 2x4's so i dont drag my bumper on the ramps lol. not lowered at all, i think i may weld up some ramps.

hes a power transmission mechanic, so he has all kinds of goodies at work :D

logic
12-15-2005, 10:10 AM
I have a really nice floor jack for semi's, but since I only have a gravel driveway I can't use it:mad: so I just use the scissor jack that came with the car... last week I did an oil and tranny fluid change in my Legend and when I was trying to lower the car the jackstand tipped over from the gravel giving way and the car fell off.......How can I get $50 grand to build the garage I want!!!!

Kabuki
12-15-2005, 10:15 AM
I use the lifts at work. We have three permanent units and a portable. Sorry... Nyah nyah!

A18A
12-15-2005, 05:53 PM
man this kid is stupid for useing an engine hoist :)