PDA

View Full Version : handle

honda
12-15-2005, 07:38 PM
If I wanted to get a new door handle, does someone know how much that would cost? Do they just put in a new handle, or is it more than that? Is it something I could put in easily myself (I've never worked on my car)?

ridered9hbs
12-15-2005, 07:41 PM
i just replaced my drivers door handle. i got a new one from the junkyard for 5 bucks. its pretty easy to install, take the door panel off and then there are two screws holding it on

honda
12-15-2005, 07:44 PM
How does the door panel come off and it easy to put back on? I would be very newbie at this.

Honda-Master
12-15-2005, 09:26 PM
If I wanted to get a new door handle, does someone know how much that would cost? Do they just put in a new handle, or is it more than that? Is it something I could put in easily myself (I've never worked on my car)?

Are u talking about the inner or the outer door handle???
Inner door handle is very easy . remove 1 screw, slide handle toward frt of car pull it out partially, unhook the rod clip and pull it out,,,,,,,,reinstall door lock switch into new handle and put back together..

Outer handle is a bit more complicated you got to remove door panel to get access to remove the handle

A18A
12-15-2005, 10:58 PM
how do u get the lock outta the handle?

honda
12-16-2005, 06:17 AM
I mean the handle on the outside of the door.

honda
12-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Yeah, and if you take off the panel, do you just install the (outside) handle, or is the handle fitted in with the lock also?

honda
12-17-2005, 03:07 AM
Any other info on this?

StressSolutions
12-17-2005, 04:46 PM
I think it is time for you to go to the bookstore and acquire the manual for the car. Often they can be found used. OR download it here.

Honda-Master
12-17-2005, 06:48 PM
remove the door panel.. remove the plastic covering... look at the handle rod you need to unclip it from the latch.. careful or you might hit and brake the window.. once clip is unatteched there are 2 10mm bolts, remove those and handle will come out......to remove the lock u need to pry with 2 small scrwdrivers on each side of the lock tabs and pull lock out..

reinstall in reverse order

honda
12-17-2005, 08:50 PM
thanks, will see if i can do that : )

honda
02-09-2006, 09:52 AM
ok, I got used handles to put on my car. They still have the locks from the previous car in them. I looked at them, and took off a little silver c-shaped ring, and a spring, and now the next thing would be to remove the old lock somehow. I looked at it, but I don't see how the lock comes out. Does anyone know how to take it out?

BITESIZE
02-09-2006, 11:51 AM
The outside door handles suck a major ass to install.

honda
02-09-2006, 11:56 AM
This seems to be how to take the lock out. What are the lock tabs? From what I can see there are two little tabs that seem to hold the metal face plate of the lock in, and then the lock itself. The only tabs I see are small, fragile-looking and seem to hold the face plate in, not the lock?

>pry with 2 small scrwdrivers on each side of the lock tabs and pull lock out..

vongiese
02-13-2006, 03:15 PM
I just replaced a pass side outside door handle on a 1987 accord. Got the handle off Ebay. however, the used one off ebay was a bit different than the original....the locks were slightly different and the handle was built differently - original was mostly metal guts while the ebay handle was mostly all plastic. Locks could not be interchanged. not a big deal as it was pass side so I left old locks in place. Never did find out what the differences in handles/years was.....both are 4 doors!
The shop manual does a good job of showing how to replace the handle - download it and use it! you'll be glad you did!!!