PDA

View Full Version : long time to warmp

dj mackee
12-15-2005, 09:59 PM
my car takes a long time to warm up. i would say that the needle for the temperature starts to move 8-10 mins from when i start it up. why is it doing this?

Cobra
12-16-2005, 09:31 AM
My first guess would be a stuck thermostat. Easy to check.

Take care,
Dan

Soundy
12-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Quick and easy way to check is to open the radiator when engine is running cold - if the water is visibly flowing and moving past the filler, your thermostat is stuck open or missing altogether. It's supposed to be closed while the engine is cold, allowing the water in the water jacket to warm up before flowing it to the rad to cool off.

lackej1971
12-18-2005, 01:06 PM
This is the first thing (of many) that I had to fix on my car. The "Idiot" that owned the car before me had removed the Thermostat altogether and I froze my ass off for it. Just replace the thermostat with a new one and I'm sure your luck will change.

Good Luck, James

Soundy
12-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Fortunately the thermostat is one of the easiest things to fix on these cars... :)

lackej1971
12-18-2005, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I just replaced mine again about a week ago. Now, I am trying to see EXACTLY what the "Thermovalves" look like and where they are located on my 88 Accord (Carbed). I have a sneaky suspicion that I should probably replace these becuse of the dumbass that had my car before me. Theres no telling what condition they are in!!! I have tried searching for them on here, but no luck so far.

James

AccordRacing21
12-18-2005, 05:08 PM
I got my car for free because the thermostat needed replaced. The previous owner took it to his "mechanic" who replaced the water pump, radiator, everything you can think of but still couldn't diagnose the problem, so he gave up and signed it over to me.

lackej1971
12-18-2005, 05:26 PM
WOW!!!! Thats alot better than I did! I only paid 200 for mine, BUT I had to get the head gasket replaced and the heads checked and stuff. This car has been a headache from the very beginning, but I just cannot give it up. It is an obsession that I have to fix it. AND since my ex wife got the DEPENDABLE CAR in the divorce, I have been forced to pinch pennies and fix my cars as best as I can. Now, when 1 don't run good, I have a backup. It's not for everybody, but it beats the HELL out of car payments and I am learning more than I ever thought I could or would by fixing this car myself. It just feels good when it improves after each thing I do to it.

James