PDA

View Full Version : 180 miles per full tank, beside carb replace, what else should I check?

Mario Calero
12-16-2005, 07:47 AM
Last December 5th, I full up the gas tank with 14 gallons, I reset the odometer to cero. Today it reached the E ( Empty ) indicator and the odometer says 180 miles, It only has the reserve.

I'm about to receive a new carb next week, I'll install it and see what happens.

What other basic check up should I do to ensure proper gas mileage?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I've got a Honda Accord LX 1987.

kotseko
12-16-2005, 01:08 PM
you might want to clean or replace your spark plugs if it's been awhile. With the carb you have right now running rich, plugs are probably filled with carbon build up. Just do a tune up if you haven't done that for awhile when you put in the new carb. That should improve your mileage. On my 89 lx auto, i get about 360-380 per full tank.

maka_RTH
12-16-2005, 01:40 PM
also, how dependable is your gas gauge? it prolly is fairly close., but you never now. you gotta fill up your tank again, and if you put in the full 14 gallons again, then you're getting bad mileage. but, if you only put in say 9 gallons, then you're actually getting 20mpg, not 12mpg.

Mario Calero
12-16-2005, 01:53 PM
For economical limitations, I only fill half the tank with 7 gallons, this time I got my tank full with 14 gallons and I decided to keep track of the mileage, This morning it reached the E level and it clearly says 180 miles...

However, I'm new to cars, I got this one ( my first one ) a year ago and I don't know how good the last owner treated this car.

I just do the normal maintenance routine ( oil change ), but have not had a tune up, I really would like to know what other part of my car would be worth the check up.

Some mechanic told me the spark plugs and wires are ok, maybe it could be some not so obvious problem.

Thank you.

Kabuki
12-16-2005, 03:02 PM
There are LOTS of adjustments that could be made in the Carburetor. Why are you replacing the unit ON the car? Also, have you refilled the tank to see how much fuel it actually takes?

Mario Calero
12-16-2005, 04:05 PM
The carb has one faulty barrel, it is two barrel model ( hope this is the term ) and some mecanic told me that I must rebuild my carb or replace it, since it is too difficult here to rebuild a carb ( Nicaragua) it is much easier to replace, so i will try that. But I wanted to check all related to gas mileage, I will ask a major tune up, But I want to know What exactly to ask for.

I full up the tank with 14 gallons, it made 180 miles.

Thanks

AZmike
12-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Once you get the carb sorted out, check your air filter and tire pressure. Using a heavier weight oil will also reduce your fuel economy.

dXsquared
12-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Once you get the carb sorted out, check your air filter and tire pressure. Using a heavier weight oil will also reduce your fuel economy.

going from 30 MPG to 12 MPG cant be caused by tire pressure or a heavier oil... its a fuel problem... im sure they have checked the air filter as well because you have to remove the air box to work on the carb...

i would say that its just running pig rich and its somthing in the carb...

Travis