PDA

View Full Version : steering rack

89se-i
12-16-2005, 12:58 PM
How are you guys doing?

Im a newbie to the forums, but not a newbie to cars. You can find me on nissanclub, under "nocoastmusic".

Anyways, need some advice.

The other day i ran my accord [89 se-i coupe] into a curb [to spare the details, it was a curb, a lightpost, or a civic. ] hit the drivers side front wheel.

So now the steering is messed up. I can turn the wheel fine to the right, but its difficult to get it to go left. So I got it up on stands today. I found that the lower control arm on the passengers side front, is bent. So i thought that could be why I was having the steering problem. So i disconnected the tie rod on the passneger side and it was still hard to turn right, so i disconnected the other tierod and it was still ahrd to turn. So I came to the conclusion that i need a new rack. Any other opinions?

Anyone ever replace a rack on these cars?

Thanks. Sorry if this has been discussed but i searched and didnt really find anything. Also i apologize if i forgot any details.

Thanks in advance.

lionel
12-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Steering problems can be caused by damaged suspension components:
a while ago somebody hit me from the left into my right front wheel. Damages were certainly more than what you got, but just to give you an idea, below are the parts I had to replace in order to have the car fixed with a correct wheel alignment:
- lower control arm and lower ball joint
- upper control arm
- steering knuckle
- stabilizer bar
- radius rod
Some damages were hard to guess by visual inspection (e.g. steering knuckle and upper control arm), but I couldn't get the wheels aligned.

I was told the front frame (on which you bolt the lower control arm) can esaily be bent.
hope this helps

visionguru
12-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Steering problems can be caused by damaged suspension components:
a while ago somebody hit me from the left into my right front wheel. Damages were certainly more than what you got, but just to give you an idea, below are the parts I had to replace in order to have the car fixed with a correct wheel alignment:
- lower control arm and lower ball joint
- upper control arm
- steering knuckle
- stabilizer bar
- radius rod
Some damages were hard to guess by visual inspection (e.g. steering knuckle and upper control arm), but I couldn't get the wheels aligned.
I was told the front frame (on which you bolt the lower control arm) can esaily be bent.
hope this helps
89se-i was asking about steering rack. If removing both tie-rods and still hard to turn, it's obvious that the steering rack is damaged. Not sure one can repair it other than replacing the steering rack. Certainly, the lower control arm has to be replaced. Maybe there are other damages too. Sounds a lot of work/parts needs to be sorted out.

89se-i
12-16-2005, 08:54 PM
yeah, i had the rack disconnected and it was still hard to turn, so i know the rack definitly needs replaced.

As far as visual goes i know i will need to replace the lower control arm...

After the rack and the arm, if it still its good e, but i know that definitly eneds done.

AZmike
12-16-2005, 09:49 PM
I've swapped steering racks three times. It's not too bad:
remove PS cover
remove tie rod ends from uprights
remove exhuast pipe under oil pan
remove 4 PS lines, drain PSF
remove lower U jount from steering shaft
push rack all the way to the right and remove subframe brackets
drop rack

I probably left something out, but with just about any manual it's not too bad a job. Be sure to use PSF listed as ok for Hondas. I've found that the stuff at the dealer is usually the cheapest. Grab some exhaust gaskets before you get started. Good luck.

89se-i
12-16-2005, 09:53 PM
thanks, it doesnt look too bad, is alot lower than my altimas, which is smack between the firewall and the engine... Everything is easier to get to on this car.

I dont think I will have too much of a problem. I have air tools and a torch, just ened to find my line wrenches....

Thanks.

Honda-Master
12-17-2005, 06:55 PM
it is pretty easy to do as it was stated,,,,,,,,,first thing u need to do is remove the 2 bolts at the swivel joint at bottom of steering column inside the car.... once removed pull up on the joint separating it from the steering rack ..then you can do everything else from underneath, remove frt pipe, disconnect all the lines ( 4 ) 2 12mm 1 14 mm 1 17 mm make sure to use pipe line wrench to loosen them up so head won't strip.the rst is pretty self explanatory.. you need to pull the tie rod all the way to one side to remove it easier ..if it is an automatic, remove the 12mm bolt where the cable goes into tranny thus u can lower the shifter cable for a bit more room,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would strongly reccomend that you buy a p/s rack made by MAVEL,, they are a few dollars more but trust me i have had nothing but good luck with them and i have replaced dozens and dozens of these things Do not get CROWN piece of crap..,,,