PDA

View Full Version : Wierd tranny noise.

AccordDX86
12-16-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey. My car has a rattle, thats pretty loud, but it goes away when I step on the clutch. The clutch was said to be replaced last year, so what could it be?

maka_RTH
12-16-2005, 02:30 PM
does your transmission feel like it operates smoothly and everything? if so, i'd say it's gotta be something directly related to the clutch. if not.., i'm not sure. a quick visual check could help.., like if some bolts might be loose, or your drivetrain is a lil messed up (cv axles and whatnot), but it sounds more like it's something related to the clutch directly. or, does it still rattle when you coast with the clutch in?

AccordDX86
12-16-2005, 02:34 PM
The tranny seems to operate fine. It only rattles with my foot off the clutch, never on, which leads me to believe that something is loose. I just want to know if I have to do something imediately, or if i'm ok for the time being. Thanks very much.

-Brett

T-Funk
12-16-2005, 03:00 PM
check your tranny fluid, solved my problem

AccordDX86
12-17-2005, 03:02 PM
I heard it may be a bearing?

Honda-Master
12-17-2005, 07:48 PM
mainshaft bearings could be worn and noisy .....make sure u got planty of fluid in tranny ,,

ABC
12-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Sounds like it could be the throw out bearing.

Honda-Master
12-17-2005, 09:11 PM
the throughout bearing will make noise when you step on the clutch,,thats when it comes into contact with the pressure plate ...if it goes away when he steps on the clutch it is not the throughout bearing

AccordDX86
12-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Ok. A few questions. For one, how do you go about checking and filling tranny fluid, and what goes in? Also, am I in any immediate danger? Last, if it is the mainshaft bearings, how much would that cost to replace? Hopefully I will chck the tranny fluid today, but, I need to know how to do it. Thanks guys.

-Brett

Honda-Master
12-18-2005, 11:33 PM
almost above the rt axle there is a 17mm plug, remove it and some oil should pour out if not, put ur finger in there and it should be wet with oil when u pull it out, ,As for oit use 10w30 any brand motor oil,,........if it is the bearings u would have to dissassemble the tranny, cost might vary from shop to shop city to city.....you might want to think about installing a used tranny ..
As for immediate danger i cannot say because i dont know how loud the noise is ,i would have to test drive the car...

AccordEpicenter
12-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Check/change your tranny oil, put in Honda MTF instead of 10w-30, Ive had mainshaft bearings get noisy on me in a few honduhs... they rarely seem to fail altogether, they just get louder and louder. The bearings are quite expensive, id say if you really need to change them, get a different tranny

AccordDX86
12-19-2005, 09:03 AM
I just brought it to a mechanic. This being it is way too cold for me to do it myself. The way I described it to him, he said it might be the throw out bearing, and if thats the case, does the clutch need to be torn down to get to it? And if so, what would you guys figure labor would be? ugh, I really hope that it is just the tranny fluid.

Kabuki
12-19-2005, 10:49 AM
To replace ANY of the bearings, the transmission needs to be removed. The clutch doesn't need to be done, but that's only another 1/2 hour... Sorry, dude, that sucks.

AccordDX86
12-19-2005, 11:00 AM
I did some reading. I doubt its the throwout bearing, but I thought it could be a pivot bearing, but, the sound is not a squeal, its sort of a scraping/knocking sound. I think it might be the clutch linkage, in which case, the fluid change will help it. Still looking for more insight as to what this might be. Thanks guys.

-Brett

AccordDX86
12-19-2005, 02:33 PM
I just got my car back. When I got there, he told me that it still made the noise, and that it was the throw out bearing, I had him quote me the new clutch, and it came out to 800. So, I got in my car, and there was no noise, I got home, and still no noise. I think that it has cleared up, what do you guys think? What could've it been? Is the no noise temporary because of the fluid change? Thanks.

-Brett

Honda-Master
12-20-2005, 09:35 PM
i cannot tell you exactly what is going on without hearing the noise,,,,,but 800 for a clutch job is highway robbery,, u can get it done a lot cheaper than that ,, assuming you are using stock components,,

A18A
12-20-2005, 09:48 PM
ok ok ok i see the word every were, iv searched (prolly not good enuf) but what is a tranny?

AccordDX86
12-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Tranny is transmission, it takes the power from the engine, and transforms the power to spin the wheels.

The problem I have is a nasty tranny fluid leak. I have a feeling something isnt sealed very well. It should be straight forward to fix I hope.

StressSolutions
12-21-2005, 09:27 AM
My auto trans makes a strange grinding sound when coming out of reverse into N or P or D. Seems to work fine, just had ATF changed.