PDA

View Full Version : clunky 2 to 3 gear shifting bad motor mounts?

lamontlamont
12-16-2005, 04:44 PM
hello, i have a lx 87 carbed accord. abouta week a go i changed my castrol dextron III fluid to honda atx z1 fluid. for a few days it was shifting great. now, when the car shifts from i think second gear to third gear at aroun d 55mph i get this clunk. it almost feels like a ball joint kind of clunk. it seems to be getting worse over the last few days. funny thing is the transmission doesnt slip or anything, it shifts when its supposed to. in the past i noticed that the shifting at 55mph was always a little bit clunky which is why i never drive at that speed, but now it seems a little bit worse. its almost like something is loose. i was wondering if a bad transmission mount or bad motor mount could be causing this problem . ps. how many transmission and motor mounts are on this car.

ps. i had to change my timing belt a few weeks ago and in doing so i had to unhook one motor mount, i was pushing down on the engine and maybe i could have stressed the other mounts. any help would be a ppreciated. i am also starting to notice more clunkiness at 1 to 2nd gear shifting which makes me think its a mount that is getting worse.

FyreDaug
12-16-2005, 09:36 PM
It could be a mount, did you torque it to spec?

AZmike
12-16-2005, 10:10 PM
You supported the engine when you had the mount out, right?

lamontlamont
12-17-2005, 05:27 AM
no i didnt support the engine when i changed the timing belt because i had to actually push down on the engine to get the belt off.

FyreDaug
12-17-2005, 09:24 AM
Then yes that may be your problem, making a bad mount worse. Check it out anyways, mounts dont cost too much and its always a good idea to fix em up