PDA

View Full Version : hidden window antenna...

gsus
12-17-2005, 08:29 PM
hey guys, i was wondering if any of you guys knew where i could pick up a "hidden" antenna? the kind i'm refering to, is the kind tapes a small wire around the edge of your window and replaces the stock antenna plug. i need one because the stock antenna broke off a couple of months back... and well they are a PITA to change (the PO of my old car tried to replace the stock one... so he installed one of those hiddent antennas). anyhow, i dont know where to pick one of these up... any ideas? i've tried looking on ebay but no luck just yet!

TIA

2drSE-i
12-17-2005, 09:23 PM
It would be easy. Most home stereos come with them. they are just long wires. unfortunately 90% of them get horrible reception, just go to a JY and find another stock one.

gsus
12-17-2005, 09:39 PM
It would be easy. Most home stereos come with them. they are just long wires. unfortunately 90% of them get horrible reception, just go to a JY and find another stock one.
you mean literally stripping one of the house stereos wires? how would i go about making that work without the plug on the end that goes on the back of the stereo (upgrading to stock 97 integra cd player).
the antenna that my friend had bought was a kit... it had the plugs. then there was a few feet of the antenna being insulated (so that it doesnt get damaged under the dash area) after that it was just an exposed metal wire that you taped around the edges of the window (which is not really visible if done right). it had pretty good, reception. also, i'm not really gonna be using the radio as much as my dad will during the better months, since i'll be driving my mr2 then (he uses my beater accord during the summer).
i also dont want to deal with replacing the stock antenna... if its like my old sunroof mr2 where the antenna was in the a-pillar (not powered, you had to pull the antenna out by hand), i dont want to deal with it... cuz that was a PITA itself.
thanks

2drSE-i
12-18-2005, 12:14 AM
you can do it that way. thats literally what it is

Moodybluesr
12-18-2005, 08:40 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Windshield-Glass-Hidden-Antenna-Kit-for-all-vehicles_W0QQitemZ5830325866QQcategoryZ1498QQssPag eNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2drSE-i
12-18-2005, 09:16 AM
hurry there are only 879 left!!!

lostforawhile
12-18-2005, 10:04 AM
they sell one at autozone for like 20 bucks,it mounts at the top of the front or back winshield,it's not wire,but an antenna with two plastic pieces that stick out each side,it's small enough where it wouldn't be visible much, it sticks to the inside of the glass. summit racing also sells an electronic one from electric life,it's just an amplified box, but it's like eighty bucks. they use it a lot on hot rods where they don't want an antenna visible. i believe jc whitney stilll sells the glass antenna kit. this attaches like rear window defroster lines,and is permanent. it has a special adhesive that attaches to the glass. I know 4th generation acccords are supposed to have the antenna built into the glass too. I just got rid of my roof antenna and welded up the holes,it's always been ugly to me. like foose with no mirrors:) except my signature is no antenna visible

gsus
12-18-2005, 06:50 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Windshield-Glass-Hidden-Antenna-Kit-for-all-vehicles_W0QQitemZ5830325866QQcategoryZ1498QQssPag eNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

you are the man!!! thanks! i have no idea how i didnt find these when i was looking for them on ebay...:dunno:. i'll be ordering it tomorrow :)

Moodybluesr
12-18-2005, 09:11 PM
NP... I have been using eBay since 1995 (I can remember spending about an hour to search through ALL of the items listed on the site) so I am pretty good at finding what I am looking for. :D

HondaBoy
12-19-2005, 02:38 PM
my 6th gen accord has the antenna hidden in the rear window i think, near the top. that's what i've always thought it to be. anyway, i'll look for that one said to be at Autozone. if its cheap enough i'll try it out.

lostforawhile
12-19-2005, 03:59 PM
let me know how it works,o've got a metal rod on the plastic trim on the inside edge of the hatch,i might try the window one myself.

gsus
12-27-2005, 02:23 PM
well i just got the antenna in today. & ironically its the same one that my friend bought & used on my old accord (radioshack brand, but they didn't have it in any of the stores around me :(). now i'm just waiting on the speakers to come in to install everything. i've already installed the integra cd player (plug & play), and the reception is already better without installing the new antenna yet! hopefully it'll be near perfect when i install it (the radio wont tune into anything if i push the auto tune button).

gsus
12-13-2006, 03:31 PM
So on Monday I had a slow day at the Roadshop, so I installed the antenna in the Accord. Let me tell you guys though, if you wait for about a year to install one of these, the tape will become brittle!

The install was straight forward, except for finding a place to ground the antenna; I found a spot in the driver kick-panel. The tape has the mast in the center of it, sort of like this:

[ | ]

BUT since I waited a year to finally install the dang thing, the tape became brittle and the mast was on the outer edge of the tape (not to mention that the adhesive didn’t work so well anymore), due to the tape not unrolling cleanly. Eventually there was too much tension on the mast and tape, from the tape not unrolling properly, that I only got the mast to the center of the top of the window (by the rearview mirror), because the mast/tape snapped.. But at least my new radio can tune in to the stations, unlike before. Overall, I’m happy that I can at least tune in to the stations (whenever I use the radio, which is pretty rare), and the signal is still pretty strong…

lostforawhile
12-13-2006, 07:18 PM
I thought of using one of those since i shaved the butt ugly roof antenna,but they now have these stubby antennas in stainless,they are only six inches tall,but they pick up like a full size antenna. summit carries them,they look sharp, thought of putting it near the cowl vent.