PDA

View Full Version : Splitfire triple-platinum spark plugs

Acid X
12-19-2005, 01:52 PM
Alright, i tried searching and couldnt find that much info relating directly to splitfire triple platinum spark plugs.. The ones with the v cut into it.

Anyway, im wondering if they are any good? If not, what are the best spark plugs i can use? I read about resistorless, but also read that they can cause electrical problems. Is this true?

Sorry to post a thread like this.. Maybe im not reading enough.

HondaBoy
12-19-2005, 02:15 PM
platinum anything isnt good for our engines for some reason. i think it has something to do with a low compression ratio. stick to something with a copper core. the ngk iridium's supposedly work well on our engines. but really they arent worth the money you'll spend. regular splitfire's are alright. i stick with ngk V-power plugs. they last the longest out of the other kinds i've tried.

Acid X
12-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Alright, so for sure i should stay away from platinum.. Hum. What kind of plugs would give me the best gas mileage and performance?

Vanilla Sky
12-19-2005, 03:43 PM
personally, stick with the NGK v-power plugs, but play with the heat range.

resistorless plugs only cause problems in systems that have little or no tolerance to electrical noise. supposedly resistorless plugs will usually still work fine as long as you have proper wires. just something i read somewhere on the internet (i think a20a1 (mile) posted the link), so you may not want to really take a lot of stock in it. the idea is that the resistance should be in the wires, not the plugs.

A20A1
12-19-2005, 04:49 PM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=37103

89accordex4dr
12-19-2005, 05:05 PM
I got a set of regular Split Fire spark plugs (part number S F 6 C), yeah a bit pricey but they are the best set of spark plugs I'v ever brought, more throttle response and they have a three year warrantee, great stuff:)

Acid X
12-19-2005, 05:27 PM
You have the regular non-dual tip ones? Hmm.

personally, stick with the NGK v-power plugs, but play with the heat range.

resistorless plugs only cause problems in systems that have little or no tolerance to electrical noise. supposedly resistorless plugs will usually still work fine as long as you have proper wires. just something i read somewhere on the internet (i think a20a1 (mile) posted the link), so you may not want to really take a lot of stock in it. the idea is that the resistance should be in the wires, not the plugs.

The heat range huh? I'm running stock nearly other than my axle-back exhaust and my CAI. The next thing im going to do is replace my spark plug wires after i do my plugs. After that i want to finish my exhaust all the way up to the header. What kind of heat range should i go for?

89accordex4dr
12-19-2005, 05:30 PM
yeah the non-platinum one's, still got the v slpit

Acid X
12-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Do you know if they perform any better than the NGK v-powers?

A20A1
12-19-2005, 07:35 PM
The platinum will just last longer because it wont wear out as fast as the copper, but the platinum has more resistance then the copper. Same plug, just longer life... but you can always put a file to the copper plugs and bring them back to spec.

Acid X
12-19-2005, 10:51 PM
Alright. I bought the non-platinum ones. I'm wondering if anyone knows if i have to gap them?

Vanilla Sky
12-20-2005, 12:11 AM
yes, you do. i think the stock gap is .044.

Acid X
12-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Shite. I dont have a gapping tool. Should i gap it to stock value or go a little higher or lower?

Also, what's your guys' take on Cran Cams 11mm Spark Plug Wires? I bought some off of ebay and i'm wondering if they're good quality.

Vanilla Sky
12-20-2005, 03:30 PM
well, if you have a stock ignition, then a stock gap.

Kabuki
12-20-2005, 03:40 PM
Okay, guys... I'll post this again. http://vskabuki.blogspot.com/ The idea is not to just have resistance in the wire or the plug, but to have MATCHED IMPEDANCE throughout the ignition system, for maximum power transfer. It's very much like Speakers and Amplifiers. You wouldn't use 8 Ohm speakers on an amp rated for 2 Ohm output, because it won't operate properly, and could blow one or both. Just use OE stuff. Don't fuck with Bosch or Splitfire or any of that crap...

Acid X
12-20-2005, 10:11 PM
I tried NGK wires and they broke on me.

I might as well just try the Crane's. I mean, they were 17$ :)

As far as plugs, i've heard good word from a few members here that they are pretty good plugs. Not to mention they make more sense having that open area at the top to more easily access fuel in the cylinder.

davke
12-21-2005, 01:41 PM
what kind of plugs would be good for b20a1? can i put from a20 ngk v-power?

Strugglebucket
12-21-2005, 04:23 PM
I tried NGK wires and they broke on me.
I might as well just try the Crane's. I mean, they were 17$ :)
As far as plugs, i've heard good word from a few members here that they are pretty good plugs. Not to mention they make more sense having that open area at the top to more easily access fuel in the cylinder.
if you have a header the ngks don't hold up to the heat very well, but they have the best fitting boots for the cap. the crane wires are really durable, but the boots don't fit on the cap very well. i wound up putting different boots on them from another set of generic oem wires i had.

Acid X
12-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Cool, thanks for the info struggle. :)

bullard123
12-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Use nippon denso man. They are JDM. I have some regular ones in my car right now and they make a big difference. I would also go with the NGK OEM sparkplug wires.

superaccord
12-22-2005, 03:58 PM
I'm with Bullard!

Acid X
12-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Well, i already bought the stuff, lol.

Anyway, i put the plugs in and the throttle response seems greatly improved. It seems to accellerate smoother and maybe a tad bit quicker because of the improved throttle response.

I haven't gotten the spark plug wires yet, so i dont know how they work, but i'm happy with these splitfires. :)

I'll fill you guys in when i get the wires too.

89accordex4dr
12-23-2005, 01:45 AM
Glad to hear they work for you as they did for me:)

PortugalFocus
12-23-2005, 04:54 AM
I use NGK's and Autolites. Autolite's in the domestics and NGK's in the imports. They just do very well in the applications I have used them in.