PDA

View Full Version : which intake to get?

nebztal82
08-18-2002, 07:47 AM
Alright i've decided that i'm going to get an intake but i'm not sure which one i should get....i don't want to spend a whole lot but should i just go with a dirt cheap APC one or spend a little bit more and get somthing like an AEM or Injen..anyway i just wanted to know what the best intake is for the money...any info would be helpful thanks

shepherd79
08-18-2002, 08:27 AM
well, i always said you get what you pay for it.
i think Injen is good but i has tendensy to attract heat as the AEM stays preatty cool. it has somekind coating on it.
so if you have money for with AEM but if you want some thing that looks like crome go with injen.

1988starter
08-18-2002, 11:10 AM
Get a 92 civic intake from either I really like my AEM one.

2Fast_Fiero
08-18-2002, 12:22 PM
AEM has crome and AEM is the best for Import Intakes.
My engine on my civic usualy stays cooler with the AEM, the Injen is too hot, but very good looking.

smufguy
08-18-2002, 12:39 PM
well why not make ur own?

StUpiD8000
08-18-2002, 04:10 PM
can we mod the tru cold-air ones to fit? The ones that go in the fender

1988starter
08-18-2002, 04:14 PM
I think you can mod an 93 teg intake

89bumblethumper
08-18-2002, 06:40 PM
go with the 92 civ short ram AEM intake...it is only like $120 shipped from nopi.com

2Fast_Fiero
08-19-2002, 11:48 AM
Nah, SCREW THAT! Spend 70 bucks and get the best cold air intake ever. Check this..........
Finally, some of you have been curious about the ceramic paint vs. the AEM vs. the Iceman. I had an AEM intake for 2 years, and I have a friends with Icemans. We did a test, which involved driving in stop and go traffic for about an hour in 70F degree dry weather. Once the under hood temperatures were good and hot, we popped our hoods. We felt the upper-most portion of the pipe, because that is the section of the pipe exposed to the most heat. The AEM pipe was VERY hot, almost so hot it hurt to touch. The Iceman was hot as well, but nowhere near as hot as the AEM. My intake system with the ceramic paint on the outside and inside was cool to the touch - I am not kidding. The exact words my friend (with the Iceman) said after feeling my intake was "damn, that's cold!" I don't know if it was that cool because the piping is steel or because it is double-coated, but basically I am telling you this so you are not hesitant to use the steel piping because it will "get hot". It won't.
http://www.teamdelsol.com/howto/coldair/diycoldair.htm That is the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life!

Experimental_Honda
08-19-2002, 01:59 PM
dont get the aem get the dc sports DAC intake for the 92 civic they are alot better than the aem

1988starter
08-19-2002, 02:21 PM
What makes them better

2Fast_Fiero
08-19-2002, 03:03 PM
You guys waste your money, I know what to go with :flipa:
I'm gettin my TRU Ceramic Cold Air Intake, which is better then DC Sports, Iceman, K&N and way better then the #1 Intake company AEM. :werd:

2Fast_Fiero
08-19-2002, 03:24 PM
The AEM Intake uses only one coat of Ceramic, Iceman and DC uses 2, AEM is the best company suposedly, and they do have good intakes, but not good enough, they all still have exposed steal piping inside the intake, this intake I'm puting on my car has about 3-4 coats of ceramic on the outside and inside, so it is better to keep the heat away from the air, I'm trying to come up with something to make this Ceramic cold air intake.........Better, like another type of heat sink, some sort of heat sheild on the outside to help the ceramic repel the heat away from the air. I belive any engine on earth can handle any ammount of horse power, its just finding a way to get the car to handle and put out that much power. Chevy designed a kit that you can buy and install onto your Chevy Cavilier that is guarenteed to add soo much hp, that you'll be at around 650 - 700hp on a 4cyl, thats AMAZING, Also Chevy's, Chevy Cavilier (NIRA Drag Car) is pushing 1500hp on a 4cyl, WOW:bow: Chevy!

Experimental_Honda
08-19-2002, 08:16 PM
you are getting your true ceramic cold air intake, but i have my dc sports dac intake right now. i never said dc sports is the best or any thing but they make a damn good intake and they have been making good shit for honda's as long as i can remember. they have also been in the game alot longer than most companys. what kinda filter are you putting on this thing???

2Fast_Fiero
08-19-2002, 08:53 PM
AEM, I'm not dissin on them don't worry, I love DC Sports, but this shit I just discovered is fenominal, The intake manifold stays cold, unlike the AEM, AEM is suposedly the best and I don't know why, cus after I saw this home made Ceramic Cold Air Intake blow the doors off them and the Iceman intake, my jaw droped. the reason why I'm sayin this ceramic true cold air intake is better, is because it is colder then these AEM and DC Sports intakes and its 1/4th the price.

Red88Hatch
08-19-2002, 09:28 PM
so where the hell can we buy one???

Accord7SE_i
08-19-2002, 09:53 PM
LOL im going to be diffrent i say jsut go with teh one you buy at auto cone for 40 bucks cut it and stick a k&n air filter on it. It stays cool to me. doesnt burn my fingers!!!!!:bandit:

2Fast_Fiero
08-19-2002, 10:42 PM
It will burn up your engine like that, our engines need cold air, if you wanna know why, go turn the heater on in your car and close the windows, time how long you can last inside your car with the heat on full blast, and you don't buy it, you buy the parts and make it, its very simple, just read this on how to make a AEM Style Cold Air Intake, and read the results. Team Del Sol (http://www.teamdelsol.com/howto/coldair/diycoldair.htm) <~~~Click there and read it and weap, I know a guy that did that with his del sol here in Albuquerque and its amazing how cool it stays.:omg:

1988starter
08-20-2002, 10:22 AM
www.nopi.com

Pepboys

www.carparts.com

Experimental_Honda
08-20-2002, 09:18 PM
i ran my car for a good long while today and my dc intake got warm but it was not burning up. it does not get as hot as my friends aem in his 91 accorn lx, he is about to just rip his out and go with the dac intake as well. they will only run ya about 160.00 or so on nopi, thats how much it is for the 92 civic intake any way.

2Fast_Fiero
08-20-2002, 09:26 PM
Well I'll post the performance specs that happens when I install this Cheap Ceramic Cold Air Intake.

87pimpsterdocious
08-21-2002, 12:20 AM
Experimental Honda, MSI's intake is cold air, while yours is ram air (I think since you refered to the 92 civic intake). His is about 3 times as long for about 1/4 of the price and it draws in cold air. That's the important thing. If you're going ram air, you're not going to keep it that cold anyway, so there's no point in getting any particular brand really.

Experimental_Honda
08-21-2002, 09:47 AM
i know they are 2 diffrent intakes, i could make a cold air cheaper than his (not as good) and i have, all you need is some dryer hose and run it to your wheel well. but the bad thing about most cold airs are, you cant run your car in the rain because it will be sucking water up into your intake manifold. but there are ways around that.

anchovies
08-21-2002, 11:31 AM
okie dryer hoses is not the way to go. The grooves on the pipe will add restriction to the air. If none of the cai is made for our cars, then the air flow or bounce from turn to turn on the intake will be affected. Why AEM is rated so high is because of their design and curves for the CAI which gives max flow for the air into the TB based on that engine it was built for.
IMO you "don't really" have to worry about sucking in water unless there is a puddle deep enough that the filter will be submerged partially. How often is that?
I've ran my CAI with the filter on the fender liner which trapped water for a while, nothing happened, but it's dangerous.

2Fast_Fiero
08-21-2002, 12:04 PM
Don't forget to mention how Ceramic helps keep the heat away from the cold air your bringing in on the CAI

Experimental_Honda
08-21-2002, 07:23 PM
true, i agree with what you all are saying but i know some 1 with a 500hp turbo honda civic hatchback(its a drag car) that uses dryer hose from time to time. its not the best but it does have a pretty good increase in lower end power. i have seen dryer hose used in alotta the bad ass cars in cal and a few of em where in mags.

2Fast_Fiero
08-21-2002, 08:08 PM
Dude, thats just directing the air, My friends 5.0 Drag Mustang has that, the Cold Air Intake is either inside of that or just around the air filter, it helps keep the heat away from the Cold Air Intake.

Experimental_Honda
08-22-2002, 02:40 PM
maybe so?? i have not looked under the hood of it real carefully.