PDA

View Full Version : sub position prob.....

crazykamper
12-20-2005, 11:02 AM
i installed 2 12' rockford fosgate subs the other day, or maybe a few days ago, and i wired everything. It works great, just had a few questions. i was wondering how people place them, right now the box is ported and i have the front where the ports and the subs are facing the front of the car, for some reason, i cant hear the subs very well, before, in my bro's truck, same amp everything, it sounded like it was too much. now it sounds like nuthing. you can not even hear the bass from outside the vehicle now. but, as soon as i open up the trunk, i can hear it like crazy, i am wondering if it will make a difference if i place the subs facing the back of the car. will it help at all??? thanks. sorry bout the stupid q, but i have no time at all to play with it..... just trying to get some feedback, will post pics very soon, already took them.... just need to upload....

B16KILLA
12-20-2005, 11:11 AM
same thing happend to me, i thought it would be a good idea to face the sub towards the back seat so when i have my seat down i can have louder bass,but it didnt work at all with the seat up . if u turn the box around (ports facing trunk lid) you will notice a big difference.

3rdCoast
12-20-2005, 11:56 AM
u might get more trunk rattle facing them towards the back. i had mine facing the front and it too away from the trunk rattle and was still loud. my box is sealed so im not to sure about ported but i do know ur gonna get more trunk rattle facing them towards the back

FyreDaug
12-20-2005, 12:33 PM
You will "hear" the subs better if its facing forward, meaning you can tell the tones better. If you face it back so it reverberates against the trunk it will be much louder, it will hit harder and shake the crap out of you. Facing them forward in a car isnt the best idea, unless you have lots of power and lots of subs, but then it just sounds really good. The best in between is to face the sub up, and possibly have the ports facing back (or up, aswell as the subs).

Argue with me all you want, but its true.

3rdCoast
12-20-2005, 12:47 PM
i did that once i had my subs facing up and it gave me bad rear deck rattle.

crazykamper
12-20-2005, 03:25 PM
facing up? i will try as soon as i can get the car in the garage.... my amp has been having issues, (sony xplode 444 *yes i know it is crap, but it gets the job done...*) the battery + works, but its not working on the amp most of the time, so i move it a hair, and the amp dont power!! any suggestions of what i should do? if it fits up i will do it like that, if not i will try goin twords back.. thanks for the help!

FyreDaug
12-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Yes faced up, but its important to not have the ports facing you, itll sound bad with the cancellation. If you play with how far the ports are from the back of the trunk (by moving the box towards the back seats, or towards the trunk) you can get it to sound just as good as having them facing you, AND facing back. I havent been able to do this in my 3g, but Ive got sound deadening stuff all over my trunk, and my sub sits real low so its no good to do that. This also is determined on the dimensions of the box, its tuned freq and I suppose power rating aswell.

Answer me this: How dyou want your bass to sound? Do you want it to be crisp as if it were out of a speaker and you can hear distinct tones? Or do you want it to shake the shit out of you at certain freq's when you crank it.

I'll do my best to answer these questions as I think I know what Im talking about

crazykamper
12-20-2005, 08:01 PM
i would rather shake the shit out of me. the louder the better. lol. if i get sick of it, whats the other way to do it¿¿¿ to make it sound crisp? thanks for the input, im uploading pics in the process, will have them in a few min of the box.....

crazykamper
12-20-2005, 08:10 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/alexirkhin/Cars/Pedro/IMG_3844.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/alexirkhin/Cars/Pedro/IMG_3845.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/alexirkhin/Cars/Pedro/IMG_3848.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/alexirkhin/Cars/Pedro/IMG_3849.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b162/alexirkhin/Cars/Pedro/IMG_3850.jpg

will take some better pics later. sorry bout the quallity

FyreDaug
12-20-2005, 08:55 PM
Hmm, I dont think thats a very good box, unless Im seeing it wrong. Is each sub seperated? Like the left sub will not move any air in the right one right? First off I dont think that box is big enough... is the back panel thats visible through the plexi the actual back of the box?

Dont get me wrong, itll still pound you, but it looks like a type of box best buy/futureshop would sell.

Either way, for that setup, try facing them back, about 6-10" away from the back of the trunk, itll be the "loudest". Just get some decent component speakers to make up for the rest of the lost bass. Its good enough. Id say cross those subs over at 90hz (dont let it hit higher notes than that)

halxi
12-21-2005, 12:11 AM
bandpass boxes suck. period. lol

i have dual 12's at about 600w for the 2 (1200w mono channel directed wired in parallel) in a dual chamber dual ported box, they face my trunk and have plenty of bump to them.

A few pics:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/775000-775999/775231_159_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/775000-775999/775231_158_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/775000-775999/775231_157_full.jpg

A little "tech" tip, when facing the subs forward into the cab, the soundwaves move about more freely and cancel each other out, thus seemingly creating less bass.

crazykamper
12-21-2005, 09:44 AM
double post. sorry, school computers are laggin!

crazykamper
12-21-2005, 09:47 AM
well, for the price i got everything, i think its an allright setup, I payed 15$ to fix the subs, (cause they were blown, replaced the rubber rings or whatever they are, sound better than new!) i payed 20 for the amp, and 50 for the stereo, Its not the best setup, but it does the job for cheap.... i took out all the paneling for the trunk last night (weight saving, jk *BIG puddle in trunk after rain.....and im tryin to figure out the prob*) i will flip the subs today, if i get a chance after 1, i will post pics, and sound difference.... thanks for all the help!!!

3rdCoast
12-21-2005, 10:21 AM
i hope ur box didnt get wet cuz if so its trash now..... i cant wait to get my system put it in im gettin tired of lookin all my stuff sittin there collecting dust

halxi
12-21-2005, 01:52 PM
i hope ur box didnt get wet cuz if so its trash now..... i cant wait to get my system put it in im gettin tired of lookin all my stuff sittin there collecting dust

i watched mine collect dust from january through october

FyreDaug
12-21-2005, 02:19 PM
A little "tech" tip, when facing the subs forward into the cab, the soundwaves move about more freely and cancel each other out, thus seemingly creating less bass.

Huh?? Thats not right man, the reason it creates "less bass" is because more of it is audible, when you face them back you arent hearing the subs, you are hearing the reverberations, facing them forward gives a more distinct sound, which guaranteed will sound 100% better, but you lose more than half the punch. Unless youve got 4 subs and have over 1600w I wouldnt face them forward for the punch, because the sound waves are free, they arent all directed into the body. Sound waves will bounce off of things remember, so the sub will need room to reverberate, dont put them too close to the back of the trunk

halxi
12-22-2005, 12:55 AM
thats what i meant

meh, my fault for making myself look stupid... shit happens :uh:

3rdCoast
12-23-2005, 10:31 AM
i dunno like i said in my old 88 lx 4dr. i had mine facing inside the car and it got plenty loud i tried all box postions except downfire. and facing them up or towards the back did nothing but cause more rattling and less clean bass. i almost always had the seat down though cuz the 3rd brake light housing just bounced off the glass and sounded pretty bad. i guess everybody can say different things about which way u should face ur box. i say u should just figure it out urself try all postions and see which one u like better...

crazykamper
12-23-2005, 12:22 PM
aight. i will be selling my amp on ebay very soon. if anybody needs one. its a Sony Xplode 444, its a really nice amp, just need something bigger, cause im gonna do a bigger system..... its pleanty power for my subs, just no need for it anymore... i will post a link of it when its up!

crazykamper
12-24-2005, 12:45 PM
well, my subs have been sold, and now my amp needs to go, i need to fund some stuff, and this is the only thing i can probaby sell, either computer or amp and subs. so you know. anyhow. amp is for sale on ebay. i will post the link in the marketplace....