PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel question

bock207
12-20-2005, 04:20 PM
I have a simple problem I can't quite figure out. The center section of the steering wheel isn't connected on the top right side and I can't figure out how to take the thing off to try and fix it. Its just a minor thing, but the rattle from it gets annoying.

Robs89LXi
12-20-2005, 05:40 PM
The "H" emblem needs to be popped out. This will reveal the 17mm (I think) nut that holds the steering wheel on.

DBMaster
12-20-2005, 05:40 PM
There are screws on the back of each of the "spokes" of the wheel. Removing them all allows for removal of the whole center cover. BTW, that is a better way to get at the center nut than prying out the H emblem.

88Accord-DX
12-20-2005, 05:57 PM
I just want to add something, regardless if you pop it off or take the srews out. (which I did when removing the steering wheel)
If your taking the steering wheel off. Alighn the wheels straight forward & alinghn the "H" horizontal before removing it. Mark a slice on top of the steering column shaft & steering wheel with a sharp chisel or punch. That will keep things copisthetic when installing.

Honda-Master
12-20-2005, 09:31 PM
There are screws on the back of each of the "spokes" of the wheel. Removing them all allows for removal of the whole center cover. BTW, that is a better way to get at the center nut than prying out the H emblem.

you got to be joking man ..why go to all that trouble?? and NO it is not a better way to get to the center nut ........shit it takes 2 seconds to pop out the center cover with a small scrwdriver and get a socket (19mm ? ) in there and remove the whole steering wheel..

DBMaster
12-22-2005, 07:37 AM
Well, I have seen several post on here over the years about breaking the H emblem and not being able to get it to stay in after prying it out. Anything I can do to avoid prying on 17 year old plastic parts I do.

bock207
12-30-2005, 05:28 PM
Well I wasn't trying to take the center nut off, just fix the cover. It was missing a couple of the screws in the back, thanks for the help.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
12-30-2005, 08:55 PM
I ordered the screws from Honda and fixed a similar problem in my 3G. Steering wheel removal is not necessary. You just need to get the screws and turn the steering wheel accordingly to allow for a screwdriver to be used. Took me about 10 minutes to secure my center piece. Hope this helps.