PDA

View Full Version : Distributor oil leak : has anyone actually fixed the problem?

visionguru
12-20-2005, 09:07 PM
My distributor has been leaking a little bit oil (oil can be found inside the distributor cover) since long time ago. From what I've read online, it points to an O-Ring outside the distributor housing, AND an OIL SEAL inside the housing.

This seems to be a common problem for 3Gs. Has anyone actually fixed it? Mind share the experience?

Honda-Master
12-20-2005, 09:27 PM
the biggest problem is trying to find the replacement seal.for the inside . other than that job is easy.....remove distr and take the inside all apart to get to seal ,pay close attention how u take things apart

Kabuki
12-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Yep... I've got the seals and O-Rings (both the Tec and Hitachi styles)... Unfortunately, I've been unable to find bearings for these particular units.... If anyone wants them, let me know. I stock them, all the time.

visionguru
12-20-2005, 11:47 PM
the biggest problem is trying to find the replacement seal.for the inside . other than that job is easy.....remove distr and take the inside all apart to get to seal ,pay close attention how u take things apart
Any special tools or tricks that was involved?

Xulfiqar
12-24-2005, 02:29 AM
I have, we have oil seal and bearing speciality shops here, so I just took the bare housing with everything removed, they just measured the seal and gave me a replacement for Rs 120/- equal to 2 dollars, along with the rear O ring,

Its pretty straightforward to overhaul. hasnt leaked in 4 years now.

russiankid
12-24-2005, 08:52 AM
my bro changed that little o-ring, and every since it hasnt leaked, im not sure if it leaked in the first place, but he has changed it, and it isnt leaking, just when you do go and change it, mark the postion of the distributor, using a marker or white out, draw a line so u can then line it back up with the head, so you dont screw up the timing

lostforawhile
12-24-2005, 09:10 AM
I have, we have oil seal and bearing speciality shops here, so I just took the bare housing with everything removed, they just measured the seal and gave me a replacement for Rs 120/- equal to 2 dollars, along with the rear O ring,
Its pretty straightforward to overhaul. hasnt leaked in 4 years now.hey where are you,if send you a seal and some money could you send me some of those? i've been looking for one for years already have a disassembled dis. do they have the bearing too?

Xulfiqar
12-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Im in Pakistan, and have an A16A1 accord,

You can PM me the bearing number and oil seal number stamped on them along with the makes, Im pretty sure they'll be available here. If they are I'll send them.

IN_ONE_ACCORD
12-27-2005, 12:28 PM
I found the O-ring seal at the Honda dealership of all places for about 3$. Guy was real nice and told me not to sell the old accord if the VIN's first digit is a "J". Means it was made in Japan. Also said most parts on new honda's are not Japanese, that's why newer ones are not superior to American cars as they were in the 80's.

lostforawhile
12-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Im in Pakistan, and have an A16A1 accord,
You can PM me the bearing number and oil seal number stamped on them along with the makes, Im pretty sure they'll be available here. If they are I'll send them.
all right i'll do that i have to find them first they are somewhere in my junk,thanks,i can't seem to find thm here. i'll get the info to you and see how much i need to send you. are there any problems sending money to the middle east with all that is going on? or is it something i can western union to you. I really appreciate your help.