PDA

View Full Version : dont know where to post this, so here it is

crazykamper
12-21-2005, 02:20 PM
i have an 89 lxi coupe, as many know, and i was wondering if there is ANY way whatsoever to install power door locks, and how hard with this project be, im sick of having to reach all the way across the car to lock or unlock, and this way, if i did need it, it would be very easy to install an alarm. let me know, thanks!

Hash_man_Se_i
12-21-2005, 02:59 PM
If you want you can get them installed with an alarm... all you need is 4 actuators.

lostforawhile
12-21-2005, 03:04 PM
summit part number via-80157 73.69$ these are by vpa and are made to retrofit cars with manual door locks,I'm going to get a set for my hatch after i found out the door is too narrow for the factory power locks.thats for a two door, they make a four door too. i think it cost just a little more.

crazykamper
12-21-2005, 07:17 PM
ok, thanks for the info. would it be possible to go to the jy, and find auto door locks from a 4door, install them? and have as oem? or is that not really possible with 2 door, thanks for all the help!

russiankid
12-21-2005, 07:41 PM
ok, thanks for the info. would it be possible to go to the jy, and find auto door locks from a 4door, install them? and have as oem? or is that not really possible with 2 door, thanks for all the help!
just find a coupe at teh junkyard...or just take the the parts from a 4door but from the front doors

lostforawhile
12-21-2005, 08:18 PM
if the coupe has doors like the hatch they won't fit,the factory power door actuators attach to the end of the door latch mechanisms,but won't fit inside of the door. I had already tried this,I suspect this is why the coupe and hatch didn't have power door locks. the actuators in those kits attach inside of the door and pull or push the door lock rods. That kit is supposed to also work with most alarms.

crazykamper
12-21-2005, 08:56 PM
ok. thanks for clearing that up. ELI-95120 will those work?? they are a better model, its also at summit. I was thinking these, cause they have remotes, and i really dont like the cheap switches the other one comes with. if anything. i will custom wire something together..... thanks for the help

lostforawhile
12-22-2005, 04:08 AM
hmmm can't find my catalog,are those the ones from electric life? let me see a link

Shadowkat
12-22-2005, 10:47 AM
so the coupes and hatches didn't come with power locks? i thought that was just an lxi thing, not a 4 door thing. did the power locks come on 4 door dx and lx models too?

crazykamper
12-22-2005, 12:04 PM
http://store.summitracing.com/ it dont give its own personal link, but use that, and just put in the item numer on top. ELI-95120

russiankid
12-22-2005, 09:10 PM
go to the j/y and take a unlock/lock switch from a 3g, so you could put into yours so it would look like factory, im pretty sure you can wire it up to work with that switch

gfrg88
12-22-2005, 09:43 PM
^^they wont fit into the coupes and hatch, they only came in the 4 doors

Soundy
12-29-2005, 10:52 PM
summit part number via-80157 73.69$ these are by vpa and are made to retrofit cars with manual door locks,I'm going to get a set for my hatch after i found out the door is too narrow for the factory power locks.thats for a two door, they make a four door too. i think it cost just a little more.

sunuvabitch, $73 for doorlock actuators???

Mine cost like $7.50 each! Generic units, hooked right in, piece of cake, wired into my '94-vintage Clifford alarm.

lostforawhile
12-30-2005, 01:31 PM
sunuvabitch, $73 for doorlock actuators???
Mine cost like $7.50 each! Generic units, hooked right in, piece of cake, wired into my '94-vintage Clifford alarm.
thats a complete kit,not just the actuators,got everything you need to retrofit it over to power door locks.

Soundy
12-30-2005, 08:45 PM
thats a complete kit,not just the actuators,got everything you need to retrofit it over to power door locks.

Ah, well, I didn't add console switches, I just wired into the existing alarm; the previous owner already pulled wires into the doors for locks, windows and speakers. Still, seems kinda much when you could pick up generic actuators for less then $10 each and probably get the console buttons for $20 from a wrecker...

lostforawhile
12-30-2005, 09:05 PM
well i could do that but some people aren't good with wiring and everything,for them it's eaisier to use a kit

catalin
12-31-2005, 10:03 AM
Aftermarket actuators are the easiest way to go, the're pretty cheap and reliable. Tough part is to hide the wiring the wire loom through the door grommet.

lostforawhile
12-31-2005, 05:52 PM
well i have wiring for my electrical gauges attached to the door,my tach,my power mirrors,speakers,and wiring put in for door locks and an afr gauge to go in in the future. al run through the original loom on the door.

crazykamper
06-19-2006, 09:09 PM
wow. so what kinda aftermarket actuators am i looking for?? and how would i wire everything up? (sorry to bring back from dead..)

Soundy
06-20-2006, 07:44 PM
Well, you can get a kit like this - Parts Express lists it at $38:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=330-013

I just used two simple generic $4 actuators like this in my hatchie:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=330-010
(that's a US supplier - mine cost me CDN$7.50 at Lordco)

Wired them into my Clifford alarm, and added a DPDT (ON)-OFF-(ON) rocker switch (look for the "ONs" to be in parentheses - that means they're momentary contacts) like this for manual activation:
http://www.rpelectronics.com/English/Content/Items/SS1116-BG.asp

Wiring up the actuators and the switch alone is easy. The actuators have two wires - one blue, one green on mine. Connect them to power one way pulls the plunger in, connect the other way pushes it out.

Now assume the switch terminals are laid out like this:

1 | | 2
3 | | 4
5 | | 6

Connect power to 3 and ground 4. Then connect 1 and 6 together and run them to the green wire of both (or all 4) actuators, and connect 2 and 5 together and run to the blue actuator wire(s).

That's it for the wiring. Which way is lock or unlock will depend partly on how you mount the actuators and attach them to the lock mechanisms - if you find it's "backward" you can either flip the switch over, or just reverse the wiring on terminals 3 and 4.

There's a thread somewhere else with some good pictures of mounting and connecting the mechanicals...

lostforawhile
06-20-2006, 07:52 PM
the reason the factory ones won't fit is cars with factory door locks have a notched area in the side door beam. this is clearance for the lock motor

crazykamper
06-20-2006, 11:06 PM
with the directions u posted, would that be for the first link?? or for the second and third? i would like to do this asap if its cheap...

edit : soundy, could i wire this into my car WITHOUT having an alarm?? cause all i really want is keyless entry and lock.... maybe later, way later, i will get alarm with remote start and whatnot....

edit : lost, thanks for the info, now i finally know why! lol.

Soundy
06-20-2006, 11:35 PM
The way I posted it there is to wire up the switch (third link) to the actuators (second link) - that's all you need. The first link is the complete kit.

Figure $4 each for the actuators, that's $16 if you have four doors... another $12 for the switch, and your're at $28. At that point it MAY be preferable to just get the kit, so you also get all the wiring and instructions. If you only have a two- or three-door, or only want to put power locks in the front doors, it's definitely cheaper to go with the separate components.

Keyless entry is a whole different matter though - you need something to control the actuators from outside the car. Most alarms have that capability built-in (some require external relays as well, consider that when you're shopping). The only other option would be a hidden switch or something, but that's too likely to be discovered.

crazykamper
06-21-2006, 09:20 AM
wait, so if i was to buy 2 acuators, and do everything like u explained, i would NOT be able to do keyless entry???

Soundy
06-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Well how would you expect to control the actuators from outside the car? All you have wired at that point is a switch that you'd mount in your dash or console to work them from inside. If you want remote control, you need some kind of remote receiver in the car, no?

lostforawhile
06-21-2006, 12:32 PM
just buy the kit with the control unit,then you can tie in your alarm with power door lock control

Soundy
06-21-2006, 12:56 PM
He doesn't have an alarm.

ck, you can probably find a stand-alone keyless-entry system, with a basic remote, receiver, and doorlock relays, but a basic alarm system would probably cost less, and there will be a lot more choices available...

crazykamper
06-21-2006, 02:14 PM
oh. ok. i sorda get it now. so, i would be best off just getting a kit with everything all in one??

thanks!!!

crazykamper
06-21-2006, 02:14 PM
oh. ok. i sorda get it now. so, i would be best off just getting a kit with everything all in one??

thanks!!!

crazykamper
06-21-2006, 02:16 PM

thanks!!!