PDA

View Full Version : Headlight low beam probs

Forgar_88
12-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Hey I am having some problems with my low beams on the 87 Lxi. I had the car since June and just recently it started blowing out the low beams. The highs work just fine, but about once a week now they are killing the new headlights. Anyone got any clues on this? By the way, nothing has been done to the car.

Strugglebucket
12-21-2005, 09:14 PM
look for a short on the wiring that is routed around the pop up assemblies.

88-89 had a plastic retainer that held the wire loom to the pop up, but 86-87 doesn't so it's more likely to get chewed up over time from opening and closing the headlights.

Honda-Master
12-22-2005, 05:17 AM
look for a short on the wiring that is routed around the pop up assemblies.
88-89 had a plastic retainer that held the wire loom to the pop up, but 86-87 doesn't so it's more likely to get chewed up over time from opening and closing the headlights.

good call ,,,,,,I have repaired a shit load of those wires coming apart and shorting to ground,, thus blowing the fuses ...
remove the lamps, remove the pop up cover and look at the wiring back there , you might have to peel the harness back a bit to locate break in the wires ..

3rdgenhatchDX
12-22-2005, 07:28 AM
yes it's a short. def.

(don't you hate shorts?)

Forgar_88
12-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Alright thanks for that info, but they have been stuck in the up position since I got it. So they havent been moved or anything

Honda-Master
12-22-2005, 01:54 PM
you don't have the switch on the dash pushed in do you ???

Forgar_88
12-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Hey Honda-Master, I am smarter than that dude....when i bought the car the previous owner had rearended a pickup and rearranged the whole frontend, so the headlights are stuck in the up position. And yes, I did check the wires and nothing is even uncovered