PDA

View Full Version : stupid oil filter location

ZackieDarko
12-22-2005, 12:26 PM
yeah..i'll say it..the location of our oil filters is stupid and i hate it that sounds like what a 2nd grader would say but it seems right because only a 2nd grader would decided to put an oil filter in the spot that it is in

in conclusion i hate the location of our oil filters, thanks

-Zack

crazykamper
12-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Thank You! I Hate The Spot Of Our Oil Filters, Its A Pain In The ***

Robs89LXi
12-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Try a remote filter mount kit.

Selfmindead
12-22-2005, 01:03 PM
It’s the way the Honda Ninjas designed it, we shall honour and obey them :)

AccordEpicenter
12-22-2005, 02:39 PM
ive seen much worse on some american cars. Its not that bad

frankie89
12-22-2005, 02:53 PM
oil filters own..but they are needed so dont complain. besides ya only have to deal with it every three months or 3000 miles...

MIK3
12-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Anyone have an techniques for not completely soaking the garage floor with oil? I've gotten better at it over the many changes I have done. But I do agree that the location is rather inconvenient.

Vanilla Sky
12-22-2005, 07:41 PM
it's funny that i've never had a problem changing the oil filter on any car other people have seriously bitched about. maybe i just have a second elbow?

Oldblueaccord
12-22-2005, 08:02 PM
Anyone have an techniques for not completely soaking the garage floor with oil? I've gotten better at it over the many changes I have done. But I do agree that the location is rather inconvenient.

well on EFI pitch the air box and you can do it from the top. First thing I did on my car when I got it. Use a filter cone or a CAI.

wp

SiR
12-23-2005, 01:06 PM
Its an art form that i have mastered! Ninja arms my friend!

my86dx4dr
12-23-2005, 01:27 PM
on 4th gen celicas its as easy as pie
right smack dab in the front, and the best part is, the motor tilts back, so hardly a drop of fluid comes out(weather it be coolant or oil :rofl: )when you take it off
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/may271986/red.jpg

i dont remember what it was like on the a20, never changed the filter, just dumped a quart in a day, so it was like a never ending oil change,

:uh:

Underdog
12-24-2005, 12:22 AM
I work at an oil change place and those Toyota filters are easy to get to but if you touch the exhaust manifold while trying to loosen the filter..... I think I've seen my skin smoke.... The ones where the engine is tilted back aren't that bad, but the motors that have the oil filter in the same place but the engine isn't tilted....those are the fun ones.

halxi
12-24-2005, 11:49 AM
ive never had a problem with my filter location... i dribble a little bit of oil down my arm and onto the floor, but thats about it. Biggest problem i have is getting the new one to start threading lol

russiankid
12-24-2005, 12:07 PM
i watch my bro change the filter in his LX, he seems to have no problems what so ever

A20A1
12-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Damn your celica... the corolla has it close to the same area but the exhaust manifold covers the filter slightly so it's not as easy.

Still remote mount + oil cooler is the way to go on the A20 :)

lostforawhile
12-24-2005, 01:44 PM
I never have a problem,i just put a pan under it and drop the filter from above,don't even need to jack up the car. fill the new filter up partway and screw it on from above:)

2drSE-i
12-24-2005, 03:19 PM
with my CAI i can get it from the top. that was the only thing my dad liked about the CAI lol. even before tho i never had a problem with it...

Brons2
12-24-2005, 04:45 PM
I had an LX and I was able to get it out from the top. I snaked my hand and arm through the maze of wires and hoses until I was able to reach. I am 6'7" and do have very long arms, so I don't know if that made it possible for me when it wasn't for others.

If the filter got stuck...I have a large pair of channel locks that I bought at the time that are perfect for the job. I still use them to this day for stuck oil filters :D

On a side note...I have used about every kind of oil imaginable in the A20. Valvoline All Climate, Valvoline Racing Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobil Drive Clean, Mobil 1, Chevron Delo 400,etc in 5w30, 10w30, 15w40, 15w50 and 20w50 grades. Ran fine on all of them, although was a bit sluggish on the 20w50. Why such thick oil, you might ask? I used this car for 4 summers of pizza delivery and I wanted thicker oil for the extended idling that I was doing. Anyways, It doesn't seem to care that much what you put in it. It usually wasn't even black when it came out around 3,000, but it seemed like the thing to do at the time to change it every 3K.

It never burned one drop of oil in my use and never budged on the dipstick. 258K glorious miles. Yay Honda!

lostforawhile
12-24-2005, 06:21 PM
I went with the twenty 50 because it gets reallly hot here in the summer and the traffic is getting terrible. plus i drive pretty hard. there is a chart in the original book for the conditions you drive in and it does say twenty 50 for severe use eg hot as crap and dusty back roads like where i live.

speedpenguin
12-25-2005, 08:38 AM
well what should you use if you do a lot of freeway driving?
btw if you can't get your filter out you're a wimp. just climb under there with your filter wrench and pull it out. it's really not that hard.

2drSE-i
12-25-2005, 08:50 AM
yea seriously, wimps :D actually i dont even use a filter wrench cuz i dont have one that works very well....i have a universal one but its more of a chore to use than anything else. i just use my bare hands (with a rag on it cuz its hot as hell)

ZackieDarko
12-25-2005, 10:05 AM
i just wanted to make the point that the location of the thing is not the smartest idea that honda has ever had, thats all

speedpenguin
12-25-2005, 08:13 PM
and i'm just raggin on y'all for fun
i just think honda figured that it was best for the overall layout for it to be there.

Deadhead
12-25-2005, 08:41 PM
wow, you guys have to use a goddamn filter wrench to get yours out? I've NEVER had to do that. Your supposed to oil the seal before you put it on, make it snug, then turn it 1/4 turn or so.

When I go to change mine, i drain the oil, let the engine cool off, that way i don't burn my arm on the exhaust, then unscrew the filter, plug the new one on, fill it with oil, and i'm set. I never get oil on my hands let alone arms. I'm not to fond of hot oil running down my arm thank you very much.

Good idea with the whole CAI and reaching behind the intake manifold to get to the filter, I like that idea.

2drSE-i
12-25-2005, 08:45 PM
yah hehe, ive never used a filter wrench, even with the stock intake. its really just easier to use your hand. its impossible to get it that tight guys!

Busted_Blue
12-25-2005, 08:52 PM
the reason those filters are in the back is because its easier when the car is on a lift to remove them. As for not spilling on the floor. have an Oil drain pain sitting right under the filter area and then remove the filter. It should drip into the pan and you just have to clean up the top of the oil pan and the axle area.

Oil changes aren't too difficult but if you really want, you can get an Oil Filter Relocation Kit and reroute it to somewhere more convient. If you do, be sure to add more oil as the lines take up extra oil too.

jigga225
12-25-2005, 10:36 PM
I liked those fram filters with the rough edge, i could grip em easily.
But I heard Fram isn't that good so i just use a red rag to grip the Purolator

lostforawhile
12-26-2005, 09:41 AM
the reason those filters are in the back is because its easier when the car is on a lift to remove them. As for not spilling on the floor. have an Oil drain pain sitting right under the filter area and then remove the filter. It should drip into the pan and you just have to clean up the top of the oil pan and the axle area.

Oil changes aren't too difficult but if you really want, you can get an Oil Filter Relocation Kit and reroute it to somewhere more convient. If you do, be sure to add more oil as the lines take up extra oil too.while we are on the subject has anyone run one of those kits to relocate the filter and what kind of pressure drop did you get? i'm going to run my cooler before summer and going to put it where the battery is now. that might give me an idea about the pressure drop. going to run an accumulator also to keep the pressure up if the pickup becomes uncovered during hard cornering.

mykwikcoupe
12-30-2005, 12:19 AM
bad is my 91 for supercoupe. you can tell when the engine mounts are bad because the engine sags trapping the filter on the front crossmember. Theres about a 1/4 gap there. I knew my mounts were bad when i had to jack up the engine to unscrew the filter all the way.

easy is my 1st gen civic. under the car on the front of the engine on the right side. no where close to the exhaust. takes about 3 minutes to change the oil and most of that is waiting for it to drain. I do mine with the engine hot since the oil is thinner.

Oh and a rule of thumb. always put most of the filter back up with oil before reinstalling it. It taakes some practice not to spill but you find the line. Itll take a second to wet the paper and drain through so I usually fill mine 2 times and ends up at the perfect fill mark. If you dont the engine has to fill it up on initial startupp and thats a second where the engine gets no oil.

87accordlxi
12-30-2005, 07:22 AM
I had to remove a tire in order to change the oil filter on my Iron Duke Ciera. Even then it wasn't easy to get to. The Intrigue is real easy.
The only problem I had with the 3g was the stupid drain bolt plugs & washers. Even with an enlarged plug, the damn thing kept leaking until I started using a cork washer.

Brons2
12-30-2005, 07:59 AM
Oh and a rule of thumb. always put most of the filter back up with oil before reinstalling it. It taakes some practice not to spill but you find the line. Itll take a second to wet the paper and drain through so I usually fill mine 2 times and ends up at the perfect fill mark. If you dont the engine has to fill it up on initial startupp and thats a second where the engine gets no oil.

:rolleyes:

So what say you about all those engines that have run hundreds of thousands of miles without ever prefilling a filter?

I'm not doing it, now or ever.

russiankid
12-30-2005, 09:23 AM
:rolleyes:
So what say you about all those engines that have run hundreds of thousands of miles without ever prefilling a filter?
I'm not doing it, now or ever.
lol...i agree, plus you still have old oil somwhere in the engine when u crank it,lol