PDA

View Full Version : How would I wire this up???

blahblahblah
12-25-2005, 12:27 AM
I'm getting white neons to put in my door pockets..I got the mini 9" streetglows...They have one transformer to power both...But I need them them to come on at different times..I want to make them come on when you open the door..With the light in the door already...How would I make this work...I don't think there just 12v or I would just wire into that light and add a relay....any help would be great

smufguy
12-25-2005, 02:46 PM
running a standard relay to control your neons via the door trigger is the best bet since u can use the relay to divert direct 12V from the main line rather than hack up the Stock wiring. May i ask you why you got the neons? i think they are cool too.......... but on a deli window.

blahblahblah
12-25-2005, 07:36 PM
What would you get?...I havent got them just yet...I just wanted somthing to light up my audio stuff on my doors...somthing clean..somthing I can hide..Those neons are really small and would go in the bottom of the pockets...I have no other lighting on the car..I got one more neon under the back deck that turns on when you open the trunk..like the stock light but better....these are just white..not some stupid funky color too....

smufguy
12-26-2005, 07:19 PM
oh in that case, i think its cool. As long as u dont see the light itself, but just the illumination, i think it will be nice. thats what i want to do with my car too, Just illuminate the trunk area, but not just have the bulb itself seen. As long as they dont run all the time, i think it will be nice.

Soundy
12-26-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm getting white neons to put in my door pockets..I got the mini 9" streetglows...They have one transformer to power both...But I need them them to come on at different times..I want to make them come on when you open the door..With the light in the door already...How would I make this work...I don't think there just 12v or I would just wire into that light and add a relay....any help would be great
Assuming your car has separated door switches (which it should, if it has the separate door-open indicators in the dash), and the switches are standard negative-ground trigger (which I think all G3s should be), this should be easy to rig up with a couple of standard Bosch-type automotive relays.
First, install your neons' transformer, and mount your tubes in your door pockets and run the wiring back near the transformer. Pick up a couple of relays of this type: http://www.caraudiohelp.com/images/relay.jpg
and mount them near the transformer as well.
Now here's how to wire the thing up:

Connect the transformer ground wire normally, and connect the positive lead and the #85 terminal on each of the relays to 12VDC power (constant power if you want the neons to come on when the car isn't running, like a standard dome light).
Now run a wire from each of the relays' #86 terminal to the individual door pins. When a door is open, that will activate the associated relay.
Cut one of the two wires running to each neon (they should be a pair of wires, possibly moulded together); wire each end of the cut to terminals #30 and #87 on the relay: these are the actual switched terminals.
That should be all it takes to make it work. Note that the transformer WILL be on all the time this way, and depending on how much idel current it consumes, it could drain your battery (do you have any specs on this neon system?). Two options to control that could be a switch on the transformer power feed, or another relay that will turn on the transformer when either door is open.
The relay is the best option for automated switching. To rig that up, grab a third relay, and wire the power feed to the transformer through the #30 and #87 terminals. Connect the #85 terminal to the 12V power as well, and run a wire from #86 to the ground wire on the dome light (you should be able to find that wire under the dash running to the dash module - a wiring diagram for your car is a big help here).
Now, when you open either door, the third relay will turn on, powering the transformer. The separate relay for the opened door will also turn on, powering the individual neon tube.
It's a little work, but it should do the trick very nicely. If you need it, I can scribble up a schematic for the setup, and if you know of somewhere your car's wiring diagram is available online, I can probably tell you which color wires to tap into.

blahblahblah
12-26-2005, 08:35 PM
wow...Thx a lot...that was what I had in my head so for..But I didnt know if the relay would work with the 12v switch and the lower voltege neons...so...yay..more wires..lol...Thx again for all the help

Soundy
12-26-2005, 08:38 PM
The relay doesn't care what the voltage or current is across its switched contacts (well, within the design limits of the relay - I think they'll handle at least up to 120VAC at 15A). You might want to check what the actual voltage is that the neons run at, and the spec for the relay contacts, but I doubt there'll be an issue. The coil will just be running at 12VDC regardless, so there's no problem there.

89T
12-26-2005, 08:43 PM
why not get an extra transformer tap each door pin for ground,and wire you'r hot wire's to the batt.
no current draw while the door is closed.

blahblahblah
12-27-2005, 01:11 AM
I ask streetglow how much for a 2nd transformer..But never got a reply...

89T
12-27-2005, 08:05 PM
see if they have a 800 # call and if not go down to you'r local stereo shop and ask the guy's in the back if they have a spare one. you might get one cheap.

fraza
12-30-2005, 03:26 AM
do you have welcome lights, if you do wire them up in paralel with them, thats asuming you get another trans, or just look for different white neons