PDA

View Full Version : Don't do the 88/89 intake conversion

Accordtheory
08-18-2002, 02:18 PM
After working on my 87 car for days to adapt the vacuum lines, wiring, throttle linkage, pcv, brackets, etc to the 88/89 2 stage intake manifold, my piece of shit will only go 105mph...WTF? I don't know if the manifold is 100% responsible for this, but this is still really pissing me off. However, I was committed to doing this modification, since I had already modified a 2 stage manifold from pick-n-pull to accept 4 additional 450cc injectors from a turbo eclipse. (For my turbosystem) By the way, it was an unbelievable pain in the ass to do this, as NO ONE makes injector bungs for these injectors. It is also slightly more difficult to add injectors to the 2 stage manifold. I see people doing all kinds of stupid shit with their injectors, like adding lucas disk injectors before the throttle body, or aiming injectors upstream, opposed to the airflow. I totally recommend test firing your injectors with gasoline, so you can actually see their spay patterns, and how to aim them. When you add injectors, the phrase to keep in mind is "tangent to the airflow." This means that with most manifolds, additional injectors aimed at the intake port from a location down the runner will not be parallel with each other, necessitating individual fuel lines. Maybe I will post pictures if you guys are interested...?

carotman
08-19-2002, 06:46 AM
are you sure that the second set of butterflies are open ar high rev?

1988starter
08-19-2002, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by carotman
are you sure that the second set of butterflies are open ar high rev?

I was just thinking the same thing

AZmike
08-19-2002, 09:56 AM
Do you notice an increase in power around 5k? Even before I knew I had a two stage intake I could feel the extra pull in 2nd gear above 5000 rpm. It could at least give you a hint whether or not they're opening before you tear the intake apart again.