PDA

View Full Version : how to fill holes after removing emblems

lostforawhile
12-25-2005, 12:26 PM
how to fill holes after removing emblems.
1.after removing emblem clean area around holes down to bare metal
2. take a small center punch and use it in the center of each hole to make a shallow depression around the hole,this is to give the filler something to key too,the small hole in the center is not enough surface area for the filler to attach to. if you don't make a shallow impression aound the hole,the edges of it will keep reapearing.
3. use a good quality filler to fill the holes and a couple of inches around them
4.rough sand this area with 80 grit paper you will still have shallow impressions at this point where the holes were
5. repeat steps 3&4
6. now finish sand with 180 grit paper,if you still have low areas you might have to fill again,but they usually disappear after the second coat of filler.
7. use a good self etching primer on the bare metal to protect it
8.finish sand and paint

bullard123
12-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Does this same process work for shaving side moldings?

lostforawhile
12-29-2005, 05:05 PM
Does this same process work for shaving side moldings?there is a body line under the side moldings, the only way to fill that right is by welding in metal and filling,I'm talking about the small holes left after taking emblems off.

HondaBoy
12-29-2005, 05:50 PM
yeah, welding in a new piece would be best if you want it to look good. because if you just fill it with bondo or whatever it'll show, really bad.

Bglad420
12-29-2005, 06:44 PM
Why not do it th3e right way, and weld up the hoes grind them flat and prime it.....just dot heat the metal up too much...warpage:thumbdn:

bullard123
12-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Wow this thread is rolling now. But yeah I know bondo always starts to crack over a period of time. I've learned never to use it in visible places. Welding or sanding works a lot better.

lostforawhile
12-29-2005, 08:31 PM
well it works good on those small holes,ones like where the antenna was i welded up to fill them

HondaBoy
12-30-2005, 03:54 PM
i think bondo works the best when its used correctly. like you said, works well on smaller holes. but not so well to fill larger holes or dips. like take for instance filling a large dent in a rear quarter pannel. that could go bad eventually. i found this pic of what i'm talking about. this is what over use of bondo is.
http://www.67camaro.net/my67/67camaro6.jpg

Bglad420
12-30-2005, 04:22 PM
I was working on a cars quarter panel and their was plywood in their to hold the bondo!!!

lostforawhile
12-30-2005, 05:44 PM
you have got to be kidding right? the only place there should be wood on a car is if it's at the middle of something made of fiberglass as a former. plywod? were there lots of beer cans rolling around in te car too? just a clarification on the dent repair,i'm not talking about a nail set,but a center punch,you put it in the emblem hole and LIGHTLY tap it for a very shallow dent. just enough for the filler to key to. also bondo brand isn't worth a crap,try the nappa brand ultralight fillers,or any good filler from a body shop supply company. the only thing i use bondo is the two part glazing putty it's pretty good. ask anyone who does body work for a living for a recomendation what they use, they always use good brands because they don't want to have to do the repair over again for free. this method works excellent for holes that are about 1/8 or smaller. i think the reason so many people have problems doing those holes is because they are trying to fill a hole on a flat surface,and there is no where for the filler to go. when you try to sand it the holes keep reapearing because there isn't enough surface area for the filler to adhere to. putting that shallow dent there gives the filler plenty of area to stick too. when i can get a picture tomorrow i'll show you how the holes in the front of the hood filled. it only took two coats and they disappeared.

lostforawhile
12-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Wow this thread is rolling now. But yeah I know bondo always starts to crack over a period of time. I've learned never to use it in visible places. Welding or sanding works a lot better.
theres nothing wrong with filler if used correctly,the reason it usually cracks is that the underlying metal has not been repaired. if you just fill a dent with filler and don't repair the dent, it's got pressure areas in it from the collision or damage. these areas want to return to their original form and the filler will continue to crack. the reason for doing metal work is to relieve the stress on the area and return it close to it's original shape. the filler is to finish the repair not make the repair. thats the mistake so many people make. even the "bondo" people have incorrect directions on the can. they even sell bondo in a spray can now,no kidding,thats not a joke it's a real product. you spray it in the dent,and park in the sun to activate it. then sand it. I'll bet that works great.:uh:

Bglad420
12-30-2005, 06:02 PM
I own a auto fab shop, and I prefere welding anyday to filler...when I do use filler I like USC brand..It dries fast, and is easy to sand, and it doesn't clog! Saves $$$$ Sandpaper is EXPENSIVE!! But He is right when he says center punch it and fill it...It will work with good results..but I'd rather weld (probally cuz I like welding, and hate sanding!!):bowrofl:

lostforawhile
12-30-2005, 06:12 PM
yea i try not to use too much filler,pretty much everything on the car has been metalworked,with filler to just finish it off,nothing more then a sixteenth inch thick anywhere on the car. I just used it on the emblem holes because i didn't want to drag out the welder and get sparks all over my freshly painted bumper. I might do a how to on this because i am going to replace my hatch anyway,so it won't matter if i fill the emblem holes up. working in a fab shop I figured you might get a kick out of the bondo in a spray can. I haven't seen it in a while,but i might get a can just for a joke, a lot of people didn't believe me about it,but i laughed myself sick when i saw it. I didn't have much respect for them anyway,but after that i lost any shred of respect for the bondo company. anyone who puts out a product like that has no intrest in real body repair.

Bglad420
12-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Yeah I laughed when I saw Bondo in a can too....go figure I saw it a WAL-MART:bowrofl:

lostforawhile
11-13-2008, 02:41 PM
holes are still fine with no signs of cracking whatsoever. :)

mykwikcoupe
11-13-2008, 05:21 PM
bglad you live up in northern washington right like bellingham mount vernon area right. Let me know what youd charge to de emblemize my coupe, shave the antenna and a nice paint job. Something with some clear. I can wetsand but cant paint for junk. No dents a few small dor dings that would need a light coat of bonda and smoothed otherwise perfect.