PDA

View Full Version : Size: 3G accord vs 8G Civic

Brons2
12-25-2005, 09:04 PM
I drove a 2006 Civic the other day and it seems that the Civic has grown to the point to where it's as big as the older Accords.

Case in point:

3G Accord 4dr specs:

Length 179.7 in
Wheelbase 102.4 in
Width 67.4 in
Height 52.7 in

8G (2006) Civic 4dr Specs:

Length 176.7 in
Wheelbase 106.3 in
Width 69 in
Heigth 56.5 in

The cars are very similar, but the 06 Civic does have the advantage of having more advanced, slimmer seat design and a more reclined seating position. Trunk size is similar for both. The engine compartment is definitely more cramped on the Civic.

Your thoughts?

A20A1
12-25-2005, 09:13 PM
The accord wins. :)

AccordEpicenter
12-25-2005, 09:39 PM
do you have weight specs? Those new civics i heard were real heavy... i wonder what they make for power too. Im not sure since all i cared about was the Si

Brons2
12-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Weights range from 2,593 pounds to 2,877 pounds for the 8G Civic. HP is 140 for DX, LX, EX and 197 for Si.

snoopyloopy
12-25-2005, 09:58 PM
i'd prefer me 3g accord to an 8g civic. i don't know how much i'd save in gas, but i think the increase in insurance and a car payment would more than eat up any savings from gas.

Brons2
12-25-2005, 10:09 PM
but i think the increase in insurance and a car payment would more than eat up any savings from gas.

the auto is rated at 30/40 but most def, payments and full coverage are going to cost some $$$.

I love my truck, but having 528 payments, 100/mo ins and getting 15 mpg...well...it costs a ton of money. lol.

Vanilla Sky
12-26-2005, 07:09 AM
wasn't the 7th gen civic bigger?

88accordhb
12-26-2005, 10:01 AM
wat kind of motor are the other trim civics running, is it still d-series?

Reptile
12-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Yeah I noticed this a few years ago when I got the rare chance to line up the 89 LX I had at the time next to a 7G Civic Si. There was like just a few inches of difference with the 3G Accord being longer.

I still remember thinking how things have come full circle now. The Accord was a mid-sided sedan for the time, but now the compacts are the same size. And if you look at the performance the older Accords and newer Civics pretty much are the same stock.

Really I am trying to make up my mind on which to buy next spring to replace this ageing Corolla, a 3G or a newer Civic. I will be looking to spend no more than $5000 and have another $1500-2000 for upgrades to get started. I am tired of having shitty salvaged title cars; I want something at least semi-nice for a change.

theDougler
12-28-2005, 01:41 PM
Really I am trying to make up my mind on which to buy next spring to replace this ageing Corolla, a 3G or a newer Civic. I will be looking to spend no more than $5000 and have another $1500-2000 for upgrades to get started. I am tired of having shitty salvaged title cars; I want something at least semi-nice for a change.

you should buy a 3gee then if you want you will have a bit more mula to put into it. and the fact that everyone wants a civic

Reptile
12-28-2005, 01:51 PM
you should buy a 3gee then if you want you will have a bit more mula to put into it. and the fact that everyone wants a civic

Yeah, I am thinking more and more of going with the 3G. If I do that though I have some things I want on it. It has to be an LX-i (year does not really matter but I would prefer a 89) and it has to meet certain criteria.

No more than 150,000 miles on it. (I can be a little flexable here if need be.)
Has to be an auto tranny.
No rust or as close as I can get to it.
Exterior must be black or the interior must be a color that can go well with black such as brown/tan.
Fully loaded, I want every major option that could have come on the 3G.

Power Mirror
Power Sunroof/Moonroof
Power Door Lock
Power Brake
Power Steering
Power Windows
Cruise Control
Radio/Cassettes
Working AC and Heat.
Rear Window Defroster.

Probably a four-door sedan, not a hatch or two door. This is simply because I like having all four doors on my cars, it just makes them overall much more accessible and in some cases can give the vehicle a look of a little more class than being a two door or hatch can.

This car must be in good running condition because regardless of where it is I am driving it home from the seller even if they are in a different state than my own Missouri.

Realistically speaking how much do you think that would cost?

russiankid
12-28-2005, 02:16 PM
3g looks better

my86dx4dr
12-28-2005, 02:48 PM
god i feel like a trader, i would take a new si in a heart beat..

i personaly want an srt-4 also... bah...

87AccordsterLx
12-28-2005, 02:54 PM
3G, hands down, best Accord ever! Gotta have love for the 3rd gen!

Brons2
12-28-2005, 04:47 PM
Yeah, I am thinking more and more of going with the 3G. If I do that though I have some things I want on it. It has to be an LX-i (year does not really matter but I would prefer a 89) and it has to meet certain criteria.

Don't blame you...the carbs can be troublesome after they get 8-10 years on them and they are a pain to rebuild and expensive to replace. IMHO Honda should have gone all FI in this generation. I believe that when the new gen 88 Civics came out they were all FI, and that the 1989 DX and LX were the last carbed cars sold by Honda.

I'd go by condition more than anything...of course mileage can be a great indicator of condition.

Autos are more troublesome than manuals on all Hondas, IMHO.

Exterior must be black or the interior must be a color that can go well with black such as brown/tan.
Power Mirror
Power Sunroof/Moonroof
Power Door Lock
Power Brake
Power Steering
Power Windows
Cruise Control
Radio/Cassettes
Working AC and Heat.
Rear Window Defroster.

All LX-i/SE-i came with all that stuff...of course after 16 years whether they're working or not is a question that bears asking.

Probably a four-door sedan, not a hatch or two door. This is simply because I like having all four doors on my cars, it just makes them overall much more accessible and in some cases can give the vehicle a look of a little more class than being a two door or hatch can.
This car must be in good running condition because regardless of where it is I am driving it home from the seller even if they are in a different state than my own Missouri.

I went to kbb.com and found this (assuming private party sale)....

1989 Honda Accord LXi Sedan 4D

Engine: 4-Cyl. 2.0 Liter
Trans: Automatic
Drive: FWD
Mileage: 125,000

Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Sliding Sun Roof
Alloy Wheels

Consumer Rated Condition: Fair
"Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running condition. This vehicle has a clean title history , the paint, body and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.

Private Party Value $1,475
Private Party Value is what a buyer can expect to pay when buying a used car from a private party. The Private Party Value assumes the vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than the continuing factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and vehicle donation purposes.

If I change the condition to "Good" with all other options unchanged I get this:

Consumer Rated Condition: Good
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects. This vehicle has a clean title history , the paint, body and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category.

Private Party Value $1,860

Deadhead
12-28-2005, 06:12 PM
not all the lx-i's came with all of those options....

I don't have power locks nor do I have a moonroof/sunroof.

other than that, My car has them, and they all work too :D

theDougler
12-28-2005, 06:31 PM
i don't blame ya for wanting FI way to go especially with a 3g carbs stink for traveling, not enough power for the uphills thats why i'm waiting for my bro's friend to buy mine so i can switch to a ex-i or se-i if i can find one by chance.

Reptile
12-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Don't blame you...the carbs can be troublesome after they get 8-10 years on them and they are a pain to rebuild and expensive to replace. IMHO Honda should have gone all FI in this generation. I believe that when the new gen 88 Civics came out they were all FI, and that the 1989 DX and LX were the last carbed cars sold by Honda.
I'd go by condition more than anything...of course mileage can be a great indicator of condition.
Autos are more troublesome than manuals on all Hondas, IMHO.
All LX-i/SE-i came with all that stuff...of course after 16 years whether they're working or not is a question that bears asking.
I went to kbb.com and found this (assuming private party sale)....
If I change the condition to "Good" with all other options unchanged I get this:

Actually I want the LX-i for a couple of reasons.
1. The FI is more efficient than the Carbs and I love efficiency.
2. The FI just had more power and overall better equipment, which makes it a better base to build from.
3. The LX-i was more or less the top of the line model (minus the SE-i if you want to count it) and that is what I want, the best I can get for this model.
4. I have owned both a LX-i and a LX in the past and honestly the LX-i just had a certain something that the LX lacked for some reason.

As for the carb thing in general, I remember a couple of times when I had the LX that mechanics and people in general were surprised to find out it had a carbed engine and wondered how Honda got away with making them as long as they did. And to my knowledge the low end Civics of the late 80s also had carbs but I will admit I could be wrong on that one.
And yeah, I am looking at total condition but I am going mainly be the body and mileage. Plus I have never owned a car with less than 160,000 when I got it and I want that to change.

The reason I chose an Auto is because I cannot drive a Manual and have little interest in learning.

I know that all LX-i's had those features as options but not all of them actually had them equipped as Deadhead pointed out. Remember I want one fully loaded so I am looking for one with all of them on it.

And thank you for the kbb info, I went back and put in the same and this is what I got.

1989 Honda Accord LXi Sedan 4D
Engine: 4-Cyl. 2.0 Liter
Trans: Automatic
Drive: FWD
Mileage: 125,000
Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Cassette
Moon Roof
Alloy Wheels
Retail Value Search Local Listings for This Car $3,290
The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer.

And my private party Good rating was at $1890.

I honestly think $3000 for the car alone is a more than fair offer if I can find exactly what I want especially since I am going to start looking around March and not right at this moment.

carotman
12-28-2005, 08:58 PM
In fact, there were Carbed 4th gen Accords in Europe. They had the F18A engine (yuck!)

SteveDX89
12-29-2005, 04:45 AM

That's cause you have a hatch. LX-i hatches and coupes did not have power locks or sunroof. Not even a factory option.

The Accord was classified as a compact car until the 6th generation when it grew to a sub-compact. Now they made the Civic bigger to fill that void so yes, the 8G Civic is the same size as our Accords. I like my Accord better tho.

Brons2
12-29-2005, 01:18 PM

I was speaking of the sedans, which do have the afforementioned options.

On some of the other points that people have made....when newer, the carbed engines were actually MORE efficent than the PGM-FI engines and had just as much hill climbing power. I always got 30 city, 35 highway with my LX. Drove up plenty of hills with it too. It would go up pretty much anything in 3rd if necssary, at 70mph and about 5,000 RPM.

snoopyloopy
12-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Power Mirror
Power Sunroof/Moonroof
Power Door Lock
Power Brake
Power Steering
Power Windows
Cruise Control
Radio/Cassettes
Working AC and Heat.
Rear Window Defroster.

i have exactly the car you're looking for. 89 lxi sedan, black w/ black/tan int, auto tranny, but it has 221k and counting miles, and the left side of the front end needs some help (needs new bumper + cover + insert, driver's light assembly, bumper and corner lights). paint has been better. my tranny has also been slipping like hell lately in every gear when it's cold. and my ac does not work, nor does the cassette player. but, no rust. however, shipping from california would almost certainly make it less than a good use of money.

Brons2
12-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Well, at least the A/C is a pretty easy fix...I've done it twice in these Accords. The Kehin compressor is more reliable than the Nippondenso, however, Nippondenso did release a revised edition of the stock compressor, the 10P15EA which is much better than the stock 10P15E.

Brons2
12-29-2005, 10:27 PM
argh duplicate post.