PDA

View Full Version : Almost an Accident but still a problem

dalinxz
12-26-2005, 08:34 PM
so today I was coming home from an empty road going 120km/h when i saw an area of the road that wasnt plowed and was full of snow i tried slowing down didnt lock brakes or anything but it was too late i started spinning in a 360 and ended up going into a ditch i couldnt get out i tried everything then i flagged someone down they tied up a hook to the bottom of my car and pulled me out the damage i think that i may have suffered is it veers to the left a bit easier and turns there if you let go but barely not enough to notice and i think it was always like that. My back mudguard on the right side is also out and scrapes against the wheel but i know how i can fix that my problem is the heat shield underneath the cat or at least thats what i think it is its a silver aluminum piece i believe its hanging on the floor looks completely ripped up and has a piece still hung on dangling tight so I basically want to know what should i do?

shepherd79
12-27-2005, 06:58 AM
simple, fix the problems starting with steering. take it to a shop to get alighnment checked out and adjusted if need it.
repair mudflap or get a new one. jack up the car and look at hanging under the car.

Honda-Master
12-27-2005, 10:45 AM
first off i think you should slow down,,,,,,,,,,,why in the hell would you be going that fast when the roads are slippery ??? you might not be so lucky next time................once you drive safer so you don't kill yourself or some poor innocent people ,,than take Sheperd advice.. have car aligned you might have some bent suspension parts

lostforawhile
12-27-2005, 01:32 PM
how fast is that in MPH anyway? EDIT: 75 MPH in the snow? your lucky you didn't bend parts of yourself. if you had hit that snowbank you might have flipped your car or who knows what.

Acid X
12-27-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm guessing somewhere around 90..

Oops. Google tells me its 74mph.

lostforawhile
12-27-2005, 01:42 PM
what are you driving anyway? this is especially bad if you have a hatch,they don't like slippery surfaces.

dalinxz
12-27-2005, 03:32 PM
no it was a 4 door but the roads were all good all paved and everything but one part was unplowed and i didnt have time to slow down the car im a safe driver but i was being stupid and there was no one on this road its an empty part of town

lostforawhile
12-27-2005, 03:36 PM
well I'm glad you're ok,and i'm glad your car is mostly ok too. could have been bad might have caught a wheel on the ditch and flipped.

dalinxz
12-27-2005, 04:24 PM
thanks so i just saw i think its the heat shield thats ripped off and dangling should i replace it or just tear it off the guy at candian tire said just tear it off but canadian tire = crappy tire.

lostforawhile
12-27-2005, 04:31 PM
the one on the bottom or top? the one on the bottom keeps things you park over from catching on fire like grass. the one on the top keeps your carpet from catching on fire.

dalinxz
12-27-2005, 06:13 PM
I think its the one on the bottom because its just a sheet that s from the lining underneath the car right beside the cat.

lostforawhile
12-27-2005, 08:01 PM
that one is still important,it keeps stuff that acdentally touches the converter from igniting,also stuff under it,

gp02a0083
12-27-2005, 09:07 PM
yah hatchies + slippery road + curb = bent frame and poor hatchie :(

but yah our cars are allright in bad conditions its jsut ppl are going too fast or something and they end up loosing grip ( in my case my tires were in need of replacement so i allmost had "slicks" on a wet road, i know not smart)

MrBen
12-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Holy grammar skills! You think you could use some capitalization and punctuation now and then? I can barely understand what you're saying :squint:

Bglad420
12-28-2005, 02:05 AM
I like my hatch in slippery conditions.....weeeee!:rofl:

lostforawhile
12-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Holy grammar skills! You think you could use some capitalization and punctuation now and then? I can barely understand what you're saying :squint:english class is in sesion now. :)
http://galleries.sinfulteachers.com/fileko082503/images3/thumbs/LC_st019.jpg

Hondaisok
12-28-2005, 05:40 PM
There is a plastic splash guard that bolts on the front, covering the belts, etc. that is easy to tear up or off if you hit a curb, snow bank etc. I would bet that is what you are seeing. Honda sells them for about $90.

dalinxz
12-28-2005, 06:13 PM
its not that asked my uncle mechanic an its the heat shield he said just rip it out i asked him if i could go to the jy and he said its not worth it because it will have to be welded off and on since its all one piece he said not to worry its no biggie, other than that the car seems fine as for going to fast i admit i was and stop flaming me i asked for help i knw whos to blame

lostforawhile
12-28-2005, 07:00 PM
just don't park over any tall grass,theres a warning in the original book about that heat shield being damaged. that converter get a whole lot hotter then the exaust does and it stays hot for a long time after you shut the car off. it can easily reach 1500 degrees while operating. thats the reason for the heat shield being there. they had a lot of problems in the early days of converters that didn't have the shields setting stuff on fire. i remember some of the old datsuns had converter overheat warning lamps to prevent damage to the floor pans.

dalinxz
12-28-2005, 07:09 PM
really interesting to know that but what about short grass that should be okay and as long as its not dry grass i should be fine thanks for all your help Ill have pictures of my 3gee soon for everyone to see.

lostforawhile
12-28-2005, 07:53 PM
you could have a piece of sheet metal welded over the bottom of the converter,I just threw one of those shields away last week too:uh: it just needs a coupe of spacers at each end to keep it off of the converter itself. not too hard to do,that converter case is stainless so it will probably take a mig welder. you should be fine as long as you don't park over anything too flammable, and nothing touches the converter. one of the reasons these converters get so hot is they are a three way converter,they eliminate more kind of polutants then the old converters. thats also the reason for the complex carb controls,it requires a precise air fuel mixture to function correctly.