PDA

View Full Version : Question about tie rods...

offthahook
12-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Apparently, my inner tie rods are bad on the 84. I went to get it aligned, but the guy said it wouldn't help and the steering wheel would still be cocked. He told me worst case scenario was the tie rod would break/separate and I would lose steering in that wheel. No one had any in stock, but he said if I bring him the rods, he'll do those and a 4 wheel align. for $190. Doing it myself isn't an option and he told me he could knock it out pretty quick. The outers are fine. I've never replaced these, so I'm just getting some input to be sure. :)

cardoc33
12-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Well, I've never seen inner tie rods seperate, but it's a good idea to replace them if their worn. Tightens up the steering, keeps your tires from wearing funny.
My labor guide says 1.6 hr. for both times whatever the labor rate is out there + the going rate for a 4 wheel align. So, $190.00 sounds fairly close.
If you have trouble finding the tie rods, I can ship you a pair for $25.00+shipping. What's your zip code?

offthahook
12-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Well, I've never seen inner tie rods seperate, but it's a good idea to replace them if their worn. Tightens up the steering, keeps your tires from wearing funny.
My labor guide says 1.6 hr. for both times whatever the labor rate is out there + the going rate for a 4 wheel align. So, $190.00 sounds fairly close.
If you have trouble finding the tie rods, I can ship you a pair for $25.00+shipping. What's your zip code?

A pair? That'll work if it's $25 for the pair. I'm in 46143 for shipping. Hit me up! Dude said he has never seen a rod come apart (ball/socket setup) , but advised me not to cruise on the highway because it would be ugly if they did break or separate. He said in the city I could probably pull over if it broke. I called a few places and the labor was anywhere from $75-$108 per side. I'm doing both and the alignment (4 wheel) is $60

cardoc33
12-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Shipping for a pair would be $10.00. Total price, $35.00.
Go to my website and use the PayPal button near the top left.
When the payment clears I will ship them out.
Thanks,
Don

offthahook
12-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Shipping for a pair would be $10.00. Total price, $35.00.
Go to my website and use the PayPal button near the top left.
When the payment clears I will ship them out.
Thanks,
Don

No prob. But I did want to let you know that these inner tie rods are for my 1984 Accord and they are different than the 3G Accord tie rods. Soon as you say that you have the 84 inner tie rods, I'll do PayPal with you. :rockon:

cardoc33
12-28-2005, 06:35 PM
I was going to ask you about that, you beat me to the punch :)
And, yes, I did quote you for the 84 Accord.

offthahook
12-28-2005, 07:09 PM
You've got cash!

offthahook
01-03-2006, 11:48 AM
I got them and they look nice. Now, I understand the whole system better having seen them up close. Thanks.