PDA

View Full Version : Problem Starting (hard start)

Timaculent
12-28-2005, 04:16 PM
when i try to turn on the car the starter goes through a hard start. it clicks and whirres. if i connect a wire from the battery to the starter (jump it) it starts up like a dime. is there a loose wire or something that is not taking to each other when i turn the key. (help)

3G Jester
12-28-2005, 04:18 PM
uh oh! double post! whore thread!

russiankid
12-28-2005, 05:32 PM
when i try to turn on the car the starter goes through a hard start. it clicks and whirres. if i connect a wire from the battery to the starter (jump it) it starts up like a dime. is there a loose wire or something that is not taking to each other when i turn the key. (help)check all the wire harness coming from the battery and to the starter, check for cracks

Mac
12-28-2005, 06:12 PM
Which wire are you jumping to the battery, the big one(held on with a nut) or the smaller one(that clips on)?

If it is the bigger wire, check the connection on the battery and starter. Make sure both are tight and clean.

If it is the smaller clip on wire, look at the ignition switch.

Timaculent
12-29-2005, 02:20 PM
its the smaller ignition wire is what I am jumping.

Mac
12-29-2005, 06:49 PM
If the contacts in the ignition switch are corroded this could be your problem. It also could be the cause of your battery light in your other post(might be a stretch but you never know). Do you have a multimeter? You can disconnect the plug for the switch and do some contiuity checks.

Disconnect the plug and use meter on the ignition switch side:
In the off position there should be no continuity on any wires.
In the III(start, you will have to hold) position White, Black/Yellow, and Black/White wires should all have continuity.

fraza
12-29-2005, 10:04 PM
i would guess the solder joins on the back of the ignition barrel have broken down, pull the colom housing off and have a look

Timaculent
01-14-2006, 08:26 AM
fixed I decided to run a new wire from the ignition switch to the starter. now it starts everytime the first time. and perfect with the remote start.
I also changed my alternator.

Anyone wanna rebuild an alternator.