PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tranny Overdrive Q

Beaver
12-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Alright, my car is an 88 LX Auto, the previous owner said he replaced the original transmission with a low-mi one that was rebuilt because it had the annoying problem of kicking in and out of overdrive when traveling at about 60mph (he had the paperwork to backup the swap). So I've been driving the car for about 6 months and everything has been great, but just recently, this newer tranny starts doing the same thing. So I'm puzzled, could it be something other then the actual tranny? I haven't driven this car hard at all, the fluids have been checked as well. Thanks guys.

voiceinurhead05
12-28-2005, 11:53 PM
What you're referring to is not an overdrive gear. It's a tourque converter. This behavior is completely normal. It does that because at say 55 mph your engine speed is something like 2100 rpms. But say you need just a hair more power to get up a hill or something... the tourque converter kicks in so the engine speed can raise to 2500-3000 rpms where there is more tourque available. It behaves this way because the a-series engine has virtually no power below 2500 rpm and barely any at 2500. The peak tourque occurs at 3500 and the peak horsepower at 5500. Once you get up to 65, that doesn't happen anymore because the engine speed is at 2500, so there's no need for the tourque converter anymore.

Beaver
12-29-2005, 12:08 AM
Hmm... so you're saying everything is operating normally and the engine is just weak-ass lol. That would make sense given all the uneven roads I drive.

voiceinurhead05
12-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Pretty much... your engine only makes 98 horsepower and 109 ft/lb of tourque. That's Why a GSR motor is going under my hood. :)

Honda-Master
12-29-2005, 05:34 PM
what you might experience is what ( voice ) touched on,, torque convertor hunting......but to make sure have the throttle cable (the 1 that goes to the tranny ) checked for proper adjument .......if adjustment is off you will experience what you are experiencing

HondaBoy
12-29-2005, 05:40 PM
mine does that, but it'll do it at differnt speeds. seems to be the overdrive. all accords with the hydrolic auto tranny seem to do this, being the o/d gear or torque converter. my uncle thats a honda mechanic had told me all about this little glitch that he's experienced with a bunch of hondas, not just the accords. but only on other cars with the hydrolic trannys. but whatever the cause, its doing that because it is trying to give you more power for going up a grade, sometimes even when you cant see a level change on the road. mine doesnt do it that much anymore though since i've been modding it some.

Swap_File
12-29-2005, 08:47 PM
what you might experience is what ( voice ) touched on,, torque convertor hunting......but to make sure have the throttle cable (the 1 that goes to the tranny ) checked for proper adjument .......if adjustment is off you will experience what you are experiencing

Mine used to do the same thing, and adjusting the throttle cable fixed it.

Beaver
12-30-2005, 12:26 AM
Where is the throttle cable located exactly? HondaBoy, what mods seem to have helped/changed it?