PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Manual Choke Install Results...

12-29-2005, 06:44 AM
I did the vacuum removal about a year ago and have enjoyed better performance; bare bones, Stage 4(?), removing everything including the choke and plate. The only issue to work out was rigging a manual choke since the car tends to stall the first few minutes of driving.

I fabricated a plate and rod (lost the original) and routed a choke lever in the cabin. I tested it last night and today. When closed, the car would not run. Too rich. With the plate 3/4 open, the car runs great and doesn't stall, like a choke should do. This is puzzling b/c the only thing there to restrict air is the 3/4 opened plate, except for a screw hole where I mounted the cable restraint (wouldn't think it would be open to air though?) With the plate open, it's about 15 degrees short of perpendicular over the flat primary venturi surface.

This is all great, except that since it seems fully open, I'm gonna be running rich. I can adjust the plate so it's 90 degrees and only closes w/ a 15 degree opening or so, but you'd think it would need to be fully closed to work, right? The only other thing I can figure is that screw hole actually goes into the carb and putting a screw there blocked more air, causing me to run rich.

Anyone have similar exeriences w/ a manual choke?

One thing I did differently than the stock choke plate was mount it so the larger side of the flap is on TOP of the carb, rather than hanging down just over the venturi and gas injection nozzle. I wouldn't think that makes a big difference but maybe it does.

FyreDaug
12-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Im totally confused, hopefully someone can help with your problem. Would it always stall when it was fully closed? What about fully open when warm?

lostforawhile
12-29-2005, 02:23 PM
why did you remove the factory choke? it would have still operated fine. there is a choke opener diaphram attached to the factory one that pulls the choke partway open when you first start the car. this could have also been rigged to run without all the other vaccume stuff. it opens the choke partly to make the car able to run with the choke operating,all it needed was a vaccume source.the electric choke heater would have opened the choke the rest of the way when it heated up. all it needed was power from an ignition source to operate properly. this choke is no different from the chokes on holleys and other carbs,it jus had that opener to make it run better under choke. your car is going to run rich anyway,the carb is set that way, the computer control system is what leans it out to a proper mixture.

12-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Yes, it stalls now when fully closed. Now, fully open it runs, probably rich. Before I put it in, it would stall while cold (no choke).

I'm not sure why I removed it, but I can't find it now.

lostforawhile
12-29-2005, 03:02 PM
i'll try to remember to look for an assembly in my parts i'm sure i've got one,but i don't have the top hat itself with the choke in it,I sent my last one out, anyone if i send him a choke coil and stuff anybody got carb top hat with a choke plate and linkage in it? oh yea the choke opener thing, i had to repair mine i'm sure i don't have one,but you could just rotate the choke heater cover so it's always partly open if you wanted.

12-30-2005, 12:10 PM
I think I can work with what I've got. i want to see if that hole where I screwed the mounting bracket in is blocking air. Otherwise, it's just tuning the choke plate. I can live with it not working, but I'd rather not run rich. I can also try to readjust the A/F mix if necessary.

lostforawhile
12-30-2005, 01:10 PM
if you can find a junk carb i can help you to set the choke again,your fast idle can be hooked up too since it's mechanical,that way it'll be easier to drive your car in cold weather. as far as mixture if you disconnected the air jet controler there is no way to adjust your mixture other then idle mixture,it's all computer controlled.

01-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Cool. I will look around to see what I can find, but probably won't spend much on parts. It's not worth it to me, but if I sell the car, it would be nice for the new owner to have a choke.

I have two cars now, only need one. I'll probably wear the tires down on the accord though. They're pretty new, so it'll be a while and I may decide to do the choke. I put this thread out just to see if anyone had worked with a choke like this.