PDA

View Full Version : Flip Up Lights

AccordRacing21
12-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Before I got my car the right front corner was hit. The previous owner put a headlight assembly from a junkyard in, but it still doesn't close right. I've been looking at it for months and it doesn't look like it's the right light. Is there any difference in the headlight assemblies between the years of the 3rd gen, or the model? It's an 89 LXi Coupe. I know the front bumpers are different between the 2 and 4 doors so I was thinking the headlight assembly may be as well?

lostforawhile
12-29-2005, 02:15 PM
it sounds like it's one from a prelude or something,did he change motors? have you looked at the linkage to see if it's bent? a lot of them from different hondas look the same but aren't. maby a first gen integra too. in my crash cart parts i've got a set of buckets from an 89 lxi and they are the same as my 86 dx.

AccordRacing21
12-29-2005, 02:49 PM
No, he used the original motor. I think I'm going to replace it. I hope that will fix my problem. Anyone have a right headlight assembly for sale?

HondaBoy
12-29-2005, 02:52 PM
do you have a picture of what you are talking about? the 86-89 headlights are interchangeable. also coupe, sedan, and hb are the same in the headlight for the 4 years.

Soundy
12-29-2005, 10:27 PM
No, he used the original motor. I think I'm going to replace it. I hope that will fix my problem. Anyone have a right headlight assembly for sale?

There's a knob on top of the motor that lets you raise and lower the lights manually... if turning that provides the same effect as the motor running, then the motor likely isn't your problem. It may be the linkage, or as someone else suggested, it may be a light assembly from a different model (I think the Prelude lights are similar, but not the same).

Agreed, a picture would help.

lostforawhile
12-30-2005, 01:34 PM
There's a knob on top of the motor that lets you raise and lower the lights manually... if turning that provides the same effect as the motor running, then the motor likely isn't your problem. It may be the linkage, or as someone else suggested, it may be a light assembly from a different model (I think the Prelude lights are similar, but not the same).
Agreed, a picture would help.
make sure you pull the motor fuse under the hood before you turn that knob,or the lights will keep going back to the position they started in. and watch your fingers,got a severly bruised finger from one of those sobs

AccordRacing21
12-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Okay, I found the problem. The linkage on the one that works right is nice and tight and on the one that doesn't close is all sloppy. When it's shut you can grab it and move it up and down like 2".

HondaBoy
12-31-2005, 05:42 PM
oh, i should have said something also. if those motors decide to open or close you'd better make sure you dont have a finger in there. i've seen what they can do to wires and even a piece of metal that was stuck in mine. not a pretty picture. take the fuse out forsure. also, i dont see how a prelude headlight would fit. thats like trying to get an RX-7 light to fit in there.

AccordRacing21
12-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Yeah, it's the headlight off of a 86-87. The trim doesn't match the rest. I think I'll go to a JY (unless someone has one they'll sell me) and buy a 88-89 headlight and start fresh.

lostforawhile
12-31-2005, 05:48 PM
the headlight assembly is the same 86-89 all you have to do is change the trim,I have headlight assemblies in my junk from 89 lxis and they are the same as my dx.

AccordRacing21
12-31-2005, 05:51 PM
I think mine is messed up though. Would you be interested in selling that headlight w/the linkage?

lostforawhile
12-31-2005, 06:57 PM
I think mine is messed up though. Would you be interested in selling that headlight w/the linkage?
well these are my spares but i'll tell you what i'll do,we have a junkyard that always has three geez sedans in it, i'll find out how much one costs and pull one for you when i get the chance. also check on the site someone almost always has a second car they are parting out. these ones have been modified a bit too for one of my secret projects i'm working on,like my round headlights,shhhhhh!!!!

AccordRacing21
12-31-2005, 11:05 PM
Alright, sweet, let me know when you go junk yardin. Thanx

AccordRacing21
01-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Okay, I found one of the problems. I feel like a complete idiot, but one of the bolts that mount the headlight assembly to the car was really loose. I tightened it up and it almost closes perfect, it just needs a little more adjustment in the motor, even though it's fully adjusted.

Cant Stop
01-02-2006, 08:14 PM
Sorry but DUHHH! first rule of diagnosing is to check for loose stuff,fuses broke hoses etc.
hey at least it was a cheap fix.

AccordRacing21
01-02-2006, 09:56 PM
yeah but it's a long story. It's been messed up the whole time I've had the car, and it used to be tight. When I was messing with it before I guess I didn't tighten it up all the way. It just needed a little adjustment, which I did before, but didn't tighten it so it looked like it did no good at all. Long story hopefully you know what I mean but probably not. Oh well, I know I look like a complete idiot, but it's ok.

lostforawhile
01-03-2006, 05:21 PM
well at least you found it,i'm glad it wasn't anything expensive, you would have looked worse after geeting another light,going to put it in,then finding the loose bolt. I think everyone on this board has been there done that at one point :bowrofl:

AccordRacing21
01-25-2006, 11:21 AM
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2636/car2aq.th.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=car2aq.jpg)

Update: I've screwed around with this thing quite a bit and have it pretty close to looking right again. The large gap inbetween the hood and the headlight is because the hood is bent/a little crooked from being hit. I'll start messin with that now.