PDA

View Full Version : Terrible noise from right wheel

getready
12-30-2005, 09:49 AM
So everything was normal with my car yesterday, until i was leaving a friends house and driving home, and my passengerside front wheel started making a terrible noise. The best way that i could describe it at the time, was kind of like someone attached a slinky to my wheel and i was dragging it. The intensity of the sound increased with the speed i was going, but it stopped pretty quickly, like 2 minutes. Then i was driving later to go get food, and the sound came back, and had the same characteristics as the first time, but stayed a little longer, probably 5-8 minutes. I was getting really worried. Well, i was going to work like 20 minutes ago, and the sound came back, and it was really bad. I had let the car warm up, and it was ready to go, then i backed up and hit the road. The sound was immediatly present, and stayed with me for at least 10 minutes. So i drove it back home, and made this post. I have no idea what it could be, and i'm scared to drive it, i'm going to drive my girlfriend's car to work! Any help would be awesome. :)

AZmike
12-30-2005, 10:04 AM
My first guess would be a bad bearing. Jack that corner up and see if there's any play in the bearing. Use the other side as a reference. Take a look at the brakes too just to rule them out.

gp02a0083
12-30-2005, 11:15 AM
could be the berings if it was more of a clicking noise this i would have said its the CV joints, you might as well check them too

getready
12-30-2005, 11:52 AM
so i jacked it up and took the wheel off to see what was up, like AZMike said, and i took a couple of pictures for you.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_78_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/2165000-2165999/2165114_79_full.jpg

I didnt want to take off the brakes, because i've never done that before, and probably wouldnt put it back together the way its supposed to be. My dad can come over to my house and probably help me out, if those pics dont help out at all. I think i should get new brake pads.

lamontlamont
12-30-2005, 01:09 PM
a sound like that is caused by either, the splash shield rubbing against the rotor, bend it back by hand if that is the problem. take a look make sure its not touching the rotor. also a bent brake pad wear warning tab could cause it, last would be a bad bearing. if lets say the right side bearing is bad, if you left turn at speed it should get worse if u make a right turn it should sound reduced because you are putting more or less stress on it during those turns.

HondaBoy
12-30-2005, 03:37 PM
mine made a sound like that with the brake shield, it was easily bent back into place. if i may ask, where's the screws for your rotor? that wouldnt have anything to do with the noise though. another though was maybe one of the brake pads is worn and scraping the rotor? mines made sounds of what you described when that happened. pads are one of the easiest things to replace too. 1 bolt, swing the caliper up and swap the old pads for new ones. just might want to use a torque wrench to tighten that bolt. its really best to.

Bglad420
12-30-2005, 04:12 PM
Sounds like a bearing...MY brake sheild rubbed for 3 weeks (I was lazy) much quieter now!

AccordRacing21
12-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Jack the front of the car up and with the tire on, shake it up and down, and then side to side. You shouldn't have much play. You'll know it if you have too much. Also, put the car in neutral and spin the tire while it's in the air and see if you hear that same noise. Let us know what you find.

Oldblueaccord
12-31-2005, 06:48 PM
How thick are the brakes pads?

You should be able to see thru the brake caliper . The very very minimium the pads should be 1/4" thick. There looks like there is a scratch on the rotor is why I'm asking towards hub. Pad change be easy one bolt and the caliper flips up the other bolt acts like a hinge. Squeeze the caliper closed and slap a new set of pads on there bolt the caliper back on. takes longer to take the tire off then to do the brakes.

wp