PDA

View Full Version : No 5th gear

djimass
08-18-2002, 07:26 PM
Hey guys,

Once again I have a little problem with my beloved 3geez amd I'm turning to you for help. I was driving back from montreal back to Sudbury, ON this afternoon and my 5th gear went out. It didn't pop out at all; it just stopped working. If I put in in 5th, the tranny will act like it's in neutral. What sucks more is that I bought that tranny in April, so it's not under warranty anymore. I want to know if it's fixable or will i need a new tranny. Thanks for your time and your replies.

Peace.

88LXi68
08-18-2002, 07:41 PM
the accord 5th gears are notorious for going. You will probably need a new synchro for 5th.

carobotics
08-18-2002, 08:29 PM
hmmm, well, welcome to my world a few months ago.
I had the same problem. There is a fifth gear cover on the side of the transmision. You can see what is damaged, or more likely, melted. 3rd gen accord transmisions are bad for this. Fifth gear sits higher than first gear, and if your gearbox oil is low, even a little low, you can melt things. This is why I know check the transmision oil level every time I change my oil. My entire fifth gear was melted. You will have two options. Pull the tranny and replace the clutch while you replace the tranny with a low milage used one. Or for about the same price, you can just replace the melted gears and/or synchro.
either way, prepare yourself for the worse when you take that cover off, or you might give yourself a heart attack.

carobotics
08-18-2002, 08:30 PM
p.s. That 5th gear cover can be taken off without removeing anything but the passenger wheel. There should be a bunch of bolts holding it on (10mm I think).

3rd GEN
08-18-2002, 09:57 PM
ok.. from my experience with the same thing.. it can be fixed...
it happened to me on my old car..I had a ford before, and I was going along and lost my fifth gear..first i took it to a transmision shop, they said i would have to replace my tranny... then i took it to my friends dad who is a mechanic at a Honda dealership.. he looked at it and went.. " ohh here's your problem, your screw is loose and came out".. I can't remember what the screw was called... but it had somethin to do with the fifth gear.. like it held it in gear when you where in that gear..

so he just poped that screw back in and wala....I have fifth gear again....

so check if there is a bolt on the tranny that looks like it came out or came loose

djimass
08-19-2002, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll have a honda mechanic look at this as soon as I have a chance.