PDA

View Full Version : Motor mounts, Idle adjustment.

pmpddytim
01-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Newbie here. I just got a 87 Accord and have some questions. I used the search but didnt find what I was looking for.

1. My car vibrates when stopped at lights. I think I need some new motor mounts. How difficult are these to install? I've never had to replace mounts before, but I'm pretty handy.

2. The car also Idles a bit fast (around 1100 in drive faster in park) how do I go about adjusting the idle speed?

If I missed some threads that contain this information please point me in the right direction.

-Tim :)

bobafett
01-01-2006, 10:40 AM
i have never replaced the mounts either, but they are pretty self explanitory, if you do them one at a time, just support the engine a bit and unbolt, replace or fill with 3m window weld as you see fit, and slap them back in.

as for the idle, if its fuel injected, there is a screw on the throttle body that you can tighten to lower the idle. it should be located on the upper left corner of the throttle body if you are looking 'into it'

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-01-2006, 01:48 PM
It would help to know if we are dealing with a carb or FI model here. Carburated models have an idle adjustment knob on the carb throttle linkage.

pmpddytim
01-01-2006, 03:35 PM
It would help to know if we are dealing with a carb or FI model here. Carburated models have an idle adjustment knob on the carb throttle linkage.

Ooops, sorry its a 2bbl.

Thanks for the responses so far!

-Tim

Honda-Master
01-01-2006, 03:51 PM
tell us if it is auto or 5 sp .. if it is auto tranny, there are a few more adjustment to make .....

pmpddytim
01-01-2006, 06:35 PM
tell us if it is auto or 5 sp .. if it is auto tranny, there are a few more adjustment to make .....

Auto. I wanted a 5 speed but I got a good deal on this one.

After further consideration I don't actually know if I need to adjust the idle speed.When I start it up it idles fast (Around 2000rpm) but after I start driving (or it sits for a bit)and it idles around 800rpm +/- 50. In park it idles around 1000rpm.

Mostly I want to fix its vibration problem when i'm stopped at a light. Its not too bad but I would like to get it taken care of (Thus my question about motor mounts.) It needs to be alligned but I don't think thats my vibration problem.

Thanks for all the responses, I'm really liking this site so far.

-Tim :)

Honda-Master
01-02-2006, 12:52 AM
the idle seems ok..........Most likely your rear motor mount is either broken or collapsed,,,,,raise car ,do a visual check , if not broken,, start car up, have someone inside car and put car in drive, from under car, insert a paper clip in the middle of mount , if it sticks , or hard to pull out, mount is collapsed, time to replace it... if you can pull it out with ease mount is ok .. the left side upper mount , do a visual inspection, ,, the frt mount ,wheels on the ground have someone inside car, put in drive with brakes on and have him ( her ) rev up the engine while you watch the mount , if the engine tilts too much , mount is no good..
you are correct the alignment is not your vibration problem.......alignment will wear tires or make car pull left or right ...

Cant Stop
01-02-2006, 08:11 PM
mounts are not too bad to do use 2 jacks and have all of them loose because front one you have to jack motor up high to clear it
i did all of mine and i still have a vibration when stopped at the lights it is more pronounced when a/c is on.also the back mount is easy to access from the drivers side of car.

pmpddytim
01-02-2006, 08:45 PM
mounts are not too bad to do use 2 jacks and have all of them loose because front one you have to jack motor up high to clear it
i did all of mine and i still have a vibration when stopped at the lights it is more pronounced when a/c is on.also the back mount is easy to access from the drivers side of car.

Cool thanks! I think I can handle that.

Is there a place that has a good deal on mounts? Are there only stock mounts available or are there some better aftermarket ones?

-Tim

Cant Stop
01-03-2006, 04:14 PM
pretty much stock that i am aware of.
some urethanes would be nice!
o and i took the side mount all the way off when i did the other ones, makes it easier