PDA

View Full Version : Quick Ratio Steering Rack!?!?!?!?

Bglad420
01-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Did some searching didn't find anything, the question is what steering racks bolt up to our cars, any aftermarket racks??? I hate the ratio on my accord, just not nimble enough...so what will fit, any ideas??????

A20A1
01-01-2006, 11:13 PM
get a smaller steering wheel.

Bglad420
01-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Allready have that.....http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/2556/brent0093pq.th.jpg (http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=brent0093pq.jpg)

A20A1
01-01-2006, 11:22 PM
I was thinking 10"-12" diameter... real small like the dinky arcade game ones.

Do your tires have enough air pressure... that'll make it seem slow... also if you Power Steering isn't good.

and I haven't heard of anyone swaping racks before.

Bglad420
01-01-2006, 11:32 PM
Power steering is perfect my rack is perfect, and my tires are brand new...I just dont like how far I have to turn the wheel to manuver the car, it has too much rotation

A20A1
01-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Ask a hot rod type supplier to build you a custom rack, they do those kinds of things all the time. $$$$$

Might get an odd eye when they ask what it's for. :)

Or cut a stock rack open and play around with it.

Honda-Master
01-02-2006, 01:19 AM
get yourself a 4 wheel steering prelude .......

AZmike
01-02-2006, 08:02 AM
No aftermarket racks are available. When I was looking a few years ago custom built manual racks were $400-600.

lostforawhile
01-02-2006, 08:19 AM
has anyone looked at the factory manual rack yet? I'm going to get one myself anyway,generally most manual racks are faster ratio then power standard.

Bglad420
01-02-2006, 10:51 AM
I don't want manual....expecially out of a 2g....talk about steering wheelborrow of bricks.

Bglad420
01-02-2006, 10:52 AM
And 1000 more pounds!!!!!!:uh:

lostforawhile
01-02-2006, 02:22 PM
I don't want manual....expecially out of a 2g....talk about steering wheelborrow of bricks.
you go to autozone and you can order the manual rack for this car off the shelf. over 15 miles an hour the rack converts to manual anyway,it's speed sensitive. it's just a comprimise between a manual and a power rack, once you get moving a manual rack is where you get so much more road feel,it's not hard to drive one with the car moving. a lot of peole don't know the power assist cuts out over 15 anyway. it's just for parking mostly. I used to race these,back in those days it wasn't hard to find a manual rack, it's a world of difference,i'll be glad when i can convert this car over. the main reason they came 99 percent with a power rack is that americans have gotten lazy, the first generation accords and second generation had manual steering,power was optional if you wanted it,but they were great handling cars with the manual rack and pinion. thats the reason so many european cars have manual options vs. american cars don't have them. they enjoy driving over there and enjoy a car where you can feel the road really well. a lot of people think that driving a manual steering car is like the old american cars with conventional steering with center link type steering, now thats like driving a load of bricks if the power unit fails. a manual rack and pinion is easy to steer when it's manual

Bglad420
01-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Trust me I have driven my share of manual steering cars.....nothing handles like my 1928 Ford Roadster....Oh yeah baby all original...No I'm talking about a real quick ratio rack..not a manual...IT will still have the same ratio...

Bglad420
01-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Looks like I'll just have to get out the milling machine and fab up a new one. MY car will turn faster than my go kart! LOL

88Accord-DX
01-10-2006, 01:00 AM
You guys crack me up.

I was thinking 10"-12" diameter... real small like the dinky arcade game ones.

I like them chrome chain link ones you see on real "low-riders" driven by Hispanics. LOL

:lol:

Bglad420
01-10-2006, 10:10 AM
I like them chrome chain link ones you see on real "low-riders" driven by Hispanics. LOL
:lol:
All hispanics don't drive lowriders....thats racist.....:ugh:

88Accord-DX
01-10-2006, 03:17 PM
All hispanics don't drive lowriders....thats racist.....:ugh:
NO SHIT.... That wasn't a racist comment. So be quiet. I was referring to the type of steering wheel that they have. What else should I call them? I could think of some racist comments, HELLO!
Edit- At least I don't go around messing with people on their car modifications. :flip:

Bglad420
01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
I was referring to the type of steering wheel that they have. What else should I call them? I could think of some racist comments, HELLO!

No that is racist You could have left out hispanics.....your implying that only hispanics drive lowriders, and they all have chain steering wheels...

88Accord-DX
01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
What should have I said then? Did you see that in the previous post?

Bglad420
01-10-2006, 08:07 PM
All you needed to say was...........

"I like them chrome chain link ones you see on real "low-riders""

88Accord-DX
01-10-2006, 08:22 PM
I like mexican chrome better. Sounds non-racist.

lostforawhile
01-10-2006, 09:48 PM
what is wrong with a lot of hispanics driving low riders? they are a passion amoung many hispanic people, often times the entire family is involved in working on a car,and is pased down through generations. I'm not into that particular style,But I have a lot of respect for them becaue many low riders are old school craftsmanship and i know it's not easy to build a beautiful car. I would much rather have the old school lowriders around then these young punks driving riced up civics. you make it sound like saying that hispanics liking lowriders is something to be ashamed of.

buds302
01-11-2006, 02:52 PM
http://www.quaifeamerica.com/suspension/suspension.htm

check that site. maybe they can do a custom one for you? i dunno

touring 1
01-11-2006, 07:50 PM
you know why the mexicans have those little bitty chain steering wheels? So they can drive with their handcuffs on. cheech Marin, "Still Smokin'"
You know why babdists make love standing up? They don't want nobody to think theyre dancin." Cheech marin, same movie.
For the wheel deal, the smaller wheel is the way to go. On my vette I got a piece of polly made into a round handle like on the real race cars. Then when I'm on the track, I choke it, no not like that, like a baseball bat grip. then I gots me own short shifter. wheel deal same principle, esp for fwd.