PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Day awakening... 88 Accord EXi

Alanidrum
01-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Hello and Happy New Year to all:

New Year's eve. here in Toronto.
I'm driving my 88 Honda Accord EXi, two city blocks from home and the engine coughs to a halt.
I attempt to start the engine to no avail. (the starter works, yet engine/valves/cylinders do not engage)
Being a holiday, (garages not open) myself and a friend, (thankfully was in nearby) push the car back
to an outdoor parking lot beside my condo. building.
My friend suspects its the timing belt. I've replaced it once before, but over 150,000 km. ago.
He asked if I noticed the speed of the starting mechanism turning faster than before. (excuse my lay-person lingo) I answered that I hadn't really noticed, but it certainly is the case now!
Q: Any comments? (Since I haven't had a mechanic check it out yet)
Are my suspicions accurate? And if it is a timing belt issue, have I incurred grest damage to the engine?

Thanks, PF

:sad2:

lostforawhile
01-02-2006, 04:27 PM
if the pistons are moving it wouldn't be the timing belt,wierd,if the pistons move and the valves/dis don't it's the belt. mine did this and broke a belt,but did no damage.

Honda-Master
01-02-2006, 04:31 PM
you can do this 2 ways, either remove the distr cap and crank engine if rotor does not turn t-belt is broken........or the easy way remove the oil filler cap have someone crank the engine and you look at the rocker arms if they do not move bekt is broken ,, if they go up and down belt is not broken..

88Accord-DX
01-02-2006, 05:17 PM
I doubt you done any damage to the valves or pistons if the timing belt broke. Even though Honda & shop manuals say it's an Interferance engine, some people get away with no damage done when the belt breaks. I personally don't see the valves opening up far enough to hit the top of the piston.
Anyway, taking the distibutor cap off & seeing if the rotor turns is probably the easiest way to see if the belt is broken.

Alanidrum
01-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks all: I'm feeling a bit more optimistic.
I'm towing the car tomorrow to a mechanic.
Will use your responses as a resource for ensueing conversations.
I'll keep you posted.
ps: Those of you lucky enough to live in a climate where there's no salt on the roads, I envy you. I've had to do extensive body-work over the years.
Including a major hole in the shock tower.
Regardless, its a great driving car. Runs great at 327,000 km.
sooner,
PF

Bglad420
01-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Good luck

Honda-Master
01-02-2006, 07:23 PM
ps: Those of you lucky enough to live in a climate where there's no salt on the roads, I envy you. I've had to do extensive body-work over the years.
Including a major hole in the shock tower.
Regardless, its a great driving car. Runs great at 327,000 km.
sooner,
PF

ehy i use to live in wisconsin for 18 years ,,,,,,do you know what i did to solve that problem,, ?? it was really easy .........

I MOVED TO ARIZONA

Alanidrum
01-02-2006, 08:48 PM
::: yes, Arizona, I'm as far south as I can go in the fair Great White North,
So, I might eventually move to Vancouver Island in British Columbia, to avoid the rust, or embrace the wonderful country to the south and move to California. (If you'll let me)
Cheers,
PF
w/fingers crossed....thanks all

dalinxz
01-02-2006, 09:02 PM
im from toronto too weve got tons of 3geez here but were the ones who keep them unriced and clean :-) salt really eats up the body fast

AZmike
01-02-2006, 09:09 PM
I usually just pull the upper timing belt cover to check the belt.