PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake for Carb

86accordc
08-18-2002, 10:15 PM
I got an idea for a cold air intake but would it do anything for a carb. My friends and I been:argue: about if it would help. SO if you could help me out with this

A20A1
08-18-2002, 11:13 PM
http://www.geocities.com/accord89lx/index.html

check my website above for carb intake pics...

but it's not cold air.

I have ram air which is the best i think, but most people don't like the idea of holes in the hood. ram air pics are mixed in with the carb intake pics.

Site
08-19-2002, 04:56 AM
Your ram air is so sweet! One of the best carb mods I've ever seen! It's so freaking bold. I'm having a hard time deciding whether I want to set up ram air once my DCOEs are installed, or whether I'm going to do a blow through setup. Either way I'm building a box around them. Your setup is so sweet - everyone with a Weber DG conversion should do it!

staticpat
08-19-2002, 09:38 AM
my cars slow as crap, so i cant prove it, but get a noticeable increase in power (low end especially) with my short intake.
<-------- thats what it looks like.

89accordtre
08-19-2002, 07:55 PM
Ive successfully made a cold air intake for the carb. However i placed in a wierd positon....and still debateing if its picking up cold air or not. But i did notice a nice adjustment in power after making it. I will try and post pics of it tomorrow. (have to borrow friends digital cam). These will be the first pics of my car and my engine i hope you enjoy.

smufguy
08-21-2002, 04:05 PM
tell me again why u have a cold air for ur carb???? we use cold air for efi, not for carbs. carbs need either ram air like mike or just air from ur engine bay. or do u mean cold air as in the pic that staticpat has. if so, its not cold air. cold air comes only from the hose that goes under the bumper, which is not true in summer but true in winter.

Experimental_Honda
08-21-2002, 07:30 PM
staticpat and a20a1, i was wondering what you all used to make the fitting to put your short ram in?? they both look a hell of alot nicer and most likely work better than the random shit we used to make mine. btw i have a dc sport dac intake for a 92 civic under the hood (but the i dont think im getting the most of it because the fitting is so rigged). oh yeah a20a1 i like what you have done with your car much respect.

A20A1
08-21-2002, 08:05 PM
I think the maximun height is 2.5" or maybe it was 2.25" for the carb to intake pipe adapter.

If you use bolts to hold down the carb intake then maybe 2.25 is best.

I wrote down the diameter of the carb adapter but I'm not sure where... and the diameter is larger if you decide to use the rubber gasket off the original intake... I didn't use the rubber gasket so i think the diameter was around 3.5"

matrixdrrrrr
08-22-2002, 05:55 PM
hey, i don't know much about these cars (only have seen the engine bay of one once) but can you not just get a filter such as http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/kn3.htm and just bolt the thing on to receive a bit more juice? From what i remember the filter on the accord was tiny, and looked like barely any air could get in... Please don't hesitate to reply in rage to my stupidity, I really would like to learn how to grab some cheap power.

Reptile
08-23-2002, 05:03 AM
A20 will those links on your site give me the parts i need to make my 89 lx have ram-air like yours? I want the same set up as you have, plz tell my where to get all the parts and a new hood to make my car ram-air.

staticpat
08-23-2002, 07:23 AM
i used 4" tubing on the carb, and kept the rubber gasket, fits perfect.

Mike's89AccordLX
08-23-2002, 07:32 AM
A20A1 or staticpat what is the little circlular thing that fits on the top of the carb and connects to the air intake?

Reptile
08-23-2002, 06:24 PM
A20, all I have to say is that your site kicks ass. Thank you for those excellent links to reputable parts retailers. I've been all over the net looking for a site like yours and you have no idea the kind of favor you have done me.

86Accordian_EXi
09-09-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
http://www.geocities.com/accord89lx/index.html

check my website above for carb intake pics...

but it's not cold air.

I have ram air which is the best i think, but most people don't like the idea of holes in the hood. ram air pics are mixed in with the carb intake pics.

Hey dude, i love the thing u did with ur tail lights. Plz plz plz plz could u plz tell me how u did that ? I wanna have the same kinda lights if i can. do u have ne how-2s on it ? I would also like to konw the thing u did 2 the hood, gives it a kewl look.

Thanx in advance.

{"Peace"}

jjlj86
09-09-2002, 07:48 PM
I got tail ights on my 86accord if you want to look at them too
http://www.geocities.com/jjlj86/86accordDX.html

86Accordian_EXi
09-09-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by jjlj86
I got tail ights on my 86accord if you want to look at them too
http://www.geocities.com/jjlj86/86accordDX.html

Dudes that's really kewl, The tail light were ok, but the air intake thing is really a killer. So after u got that intake thing, do u feel ne difference in the performance ? Could you tell how it was done, n wat all things u used ? I'm kinda new bout this all. I'll try 2 do that if it boosts the performance.

Thanks,

{"Peace"}

PolarWhite3G
02-08-2014, 11:24 PM
If I were to put an intake on my carb, what would I do with the vacuum lines that connect to the breather? Do I just block them off?

gfrg88
02-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Not sure if you noticed, but uh this thread is from 2002...

Hazwan
02-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Well, at least he did a search haha

2ndGenGuy
02-13-2014, 10:04 PM
LOL exactly! And he's not on the Facebook group!

PolarWhite3G
02-15-2014, 11:20 PM
however old the thread is shouldn't matter as long as these cars still exist.

And it was a serious question. Because when I bought the car back in 2010, it had one hose blocked off (had a plug in it), another was connected in it's place (unlike the previous owner, I can read a diagram), and it had some serious idling issues. I replaced the carb and a few of the vacuum hoses and did a tune up, and she was good to go. The point I'm trying to make here is that even the slightest misplacement made the car freak out, so what would you do with the extra hoses? I want to know for purely educational purposes, because I plan on converting to EFI, but I still want to know everything I can about this engine.

lostforawhile
02-16-2014, 09:43 AM
I built one and it didnt do much good, the issue is these carbs adjust and just change the mixture, also they dont just heat the air in cold weather, they are very picky and designed to operate in a certain temp range, some of the big hoses also go to the frequency solenoid valves,which allow air into the manifold to change the mixture, they need a source of clean filtered air. If you do a webber conversion, a cold air intake makes complete sense, as you can tune the carb to take advantage of it. if you dont have emissions, pierce manifolds sells a complete kit including the carb, or you can buy the adapters and source the carb yourself this is my old setup before my current carb setup http://losts86hatch.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/772847-r1-01-24a_002.jpg this is my current setup i'm working on http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/picsforsuperhonda/IMG_0895.jpg?t=1373256295

Dr_Snooz
02-16-2014, 10:04 AM
however old the thread is shouldn't matter as long as these cars still exist.

And it was a serious question. Because when I bought the car back in 2010, it had one hose blocked off (had a plug in it), another was connected in it's place (unlike the previous owner, I can read a diagram), and it had some serious idling issues. I replaced the carb and a few of the vacuum hoses and did a tune up, and she was good to go. The point I'm trying to make here is that even the slightest misplacement made the car freak out, so what would you do with the extra hoses? I want to know for purely educational purposes, because I plan on converting to EFI, but I still want to know everything I can about this engine.

Generally, you want to route the old vacuum lines in a way that retains their original functionality. When I replaced the carb on my truck, I made sure that the old vacuum lines got plugged into ports where they got the right kind of vacuum signal so that the original smog systems continued to work. The PCV system got plugged into manifold vac and the distributor got plugged into ported vac. I did this partly because I have to pass California smog tests, but also because the smog systems do help the engine run better and last longer.

All that to say that the right answer to your question is that you want to re-engineer the vacuum system so that all the sub-systems continue to work. On your air filter, the vacuum lines generally have to do with the PCV system, so just make sure that the crankcase gases continue to be channeled through the PCV valve and into the intake and you'll be fine. The shorter, easier answer is that you should always block off unused vac lines. Otherwise, you'll have a giant vacuum leak that will have very interesting effects on engine performance.

Hope that helps.

lostforawhile
02-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Generally, you want to route the old vacuum lines in a way that retains their original functionality. When I replaced the carb on my truck, I made sure that the old vacuum lines got plugged into ports where they got the right kind of vacuum signal so that the original smog systems continued to work. The PCV system got plugged into manifold vac and the distributor got plugged into ported vac. I did this partly because I have to pass California smog tests, but also because the smog systems do help the engine run better and last longer.

All that to say that the right answer to your question is that you want to re-engineer the vacuum system so that all the sub-systems continue to work. On your air filter, the vacuum lines generally have to do with the PCV system, so just make sure that the crankcase gases continue to be channeled through the PCV valve and into the intake and you'll be fine. The shorter, easier answer is that you should always block off unused vac lines. Otherwise, you'll have a giant vacuum leak that will have very interesting effects on engine performance.

Hope that helps.

the only one that needs to be plugged is the one feeding vacuum to the air door control