PDA

View Full Version : PCV valve grommet

visionguru
01-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I noticed some oily deposits around the PCV valve grommet. Because it has never been replaced before (PCV valve has been replaced several times), I assume that the grommet is old/hard and cannot form a tight seal.

Has anyone replaced the grommet? Will a hardened grommet (a slight leak) affect idle?
Any tricks?

Moodybluesr
01-03-2006, 07:07 PM
A hardened grommet may cause a slight vaccuum leak which may result in some driveability/idle issues. If you replace it just make sure you are careful that the old one doesn't break apart and fall down into the hole. :D

DBMaster
01-04-2006, 08:46 AM
I tried to replace mine and found out that I don't actually have a grommet. It is more or less a special end on the rubber hose that comes from the breather box. I messed it up pretty badly trying to get it out so I bought a brass barbed hose coupler and shoved one end down the tube where the PCV used to go. I used a small length of fuel hose and put one end on the barbed fitting and put the PCV in the other end. So far, so good.

Moodybluesr
01-04-2006, 02:57 PM
The fuel injected Accord doesn't use a grommet; the carbureted one does.

DBMaster
01-04-2006, 03:16 PM
So I learned - THE HARD WAY. Funny thing is that Majestic Honda's parts diagram for the LXi shows a grommet. When I received it, of course, it did not look like anything under MY hood.

Strugglebucket
01-04-2006, 06:58 PM
the majestic parts diagram is kind of wierd. you have a rubber grommet(#4)that goes on the breather box opening, and also a plastic coupler(#2) that connects the grommet to the "L" shaped pcv hose(#5).

the coupler and the grommet are usually hardened and fused together so when you try to remove it and it breaks apart and falls down the breather box, it seems like it was one piece. make sure you get the coupler AND the grommet. and the hose too, because it probably broke if you tried to take it off the intake manifold.

Cap'n Carageous
01-04-2006, 07:14 PM
I tried to replace mine and found out that I don't actually have a grommet. It is more or less a special end on the rubber hose that comes from the breather box. I messed it up pretty badly trying to get it out so I bought a brass barbed hose coupler and shoved one end down the tube where the PCV used to go. I used a small length of fuel hose and put one end on the barbed fitting and put the PCV in the other end. So far, so good.

Hat's off to you! I have the same problem but doing THAT didn't occur to me. :uh: Thanks!!!

DBMaster
01-04-2006, 08:36 PM
And to think my ex-wife said I wasn't creative. :P

Cap'n Carageous
01-05-2006, 04:36 PM
And to think my ex-wife said I wasn't creative. :P

Perhaps you wasn't shoving the right thing down the correct tube!:kekeke:
Lord, I apologise. I didn't mean to say that!

DBMaster
01-06-2006, 08:23 AM
I am still laughing, Cap'n. I'll have to remember that for future relationships, though I have received nothing but high praise from my post divorce "firends."