PDA

View Full Version : possibilities of failure in our engines?

newaccorddriver
01-03-2006, 04:16 PM
im just curious what possibilities there are that can put our A20A motors in the junkyard for good. ive seen plenty of 3G accords at the local junkyard, most which still have unrusted bodies even for the alberta weather. im just curious at what can send them to there.

im just compiling a list of what can possibly go wrong in a motor so i know what i could expect from a motor with 320000km on it.

visionguru
01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
A well maintained A20A should last forever. A 3G ended up in a J-yard, engine failure may not be the sole cause of it. An owner may have abandoned the car because the car needed an expensive repair, such as:
Transmission failure
Needs suspension overhaul
Timing belt broke

Cant Stop
01-03-2006, 05:07 PM
ya 320,000k not that bad for a motor that is like 150,000m oil leaks are also common usually from main bearing and valve covers

88Accord-DX
01-03-2006, 05:44 PM
320,000 km. = roughly 198,000 miles, which is about the same as mine.
The A20A1 & A20A3 are pretty solid lower ends with the iron block. Some issues I've seen over the years on this board are;

Broken timing belts, with some damage done to the head, some without.
Overheating
Transmission problems
Head & gasket issues
Oil leaks
Carburetor problems
Vacuum leaks
Steering rack & suspension
Passing emission laws
Manual tranny going out
Wheel cylinders leaking
Wiring issues

It depends on how you drive & your maintenance to which problems that could or not occur.

Anyhow, this car is like any other car. If you don't get it towed cause it breaks down & you can't fix it on the spot. The junk yard will part it out if you don't come & get it.
Also, if the towing & cost of getting it fixed is worth more than you paid for the car, Hello junkyard!

Hash_man_Se_i
01-04-2006, 06:46 PM
My mechanic has an 87 Lude with an A20a3, and he put well over 400,000km on it before he had to rebuild the motor. I believe it was burning oil pretty badly at that point but otherwise nothing was wrong.

AccordEpicenter
01-05-2006, 03:05 PM
check for overheating/blown headgasket. That and running the car low or out of oil. Compression tests can help identify both

lostforawhile
01-05-2006, 03:31 PM
most people junk them because they just don't care about them anymore, they don't want to put the time and money onto one like most people on this board do. they are really a great car,but people just don't care. most ones i've seen at the junkyard have had obvious terrible maintinence,oil leaks bald tires,dents,trashed interiors. people buy them cheap and when they quit running they junk them. i took the oil plug out of one i saw and black mollasses came out. it was disgusting,if they had just changed the oil it might still be running. that one had a thrown rod, probably because the oil pump couldn't pump that crap anymore.

Soundy
01-05-2006, 07:00 PM
3G engines never die. :) The rest of the car might rust away around it though :)

A20A1
01-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Rod or Crank Bearring

Keep an eye on your fluid levels and filters and such.

bigbrat41
01-06-2006, 11:29 AM
I have an '88 DX setting around because of the high price ($1200.00 ) of a transmission rebuild. The rest of the car is pretty solid. I plan on cannibalizing it for anything I might use on my '89 Lxi. Headlight motors, wiper motor, fuse boxes, etc. I'm even going to cut the door panels for sheet metal when I do my shaved door conversion.

88accordhb
01-06-2006, 12:02 PM
i blew the head gasket once. it sucked.

lostforawhile
01-06-2006, 02:30 PM
I have an '88 DX setting around because of the high price ($1200.00 ) of a transmission rebuild. The rest of the car is pretty solid. I plan on cannibalizing it for anything I might use on my '89 Lxi. Headlight motors, wiper motor, fuse boxes, etc. I'm even going to cut the door panels for sheet metal when I do my shaved door conversion.are those doors with manual window cranks? cripes don't cut them up i'll buy them from you. if you need some steel for the shaved door handles give me the dimentions and i'll send you the pieces. is it a hatch?

newaccorddriver
01-06-2006, 05:52 PM
right now im just wondering what eletrical things could go wrong with the 3G. i wouldnt be surprised if it lasted forever, but the eletrical system seems iffy on these cars...

Cant Stop
01-06-2006, 06:26 PM
seems to me typical honda problems brake lights blow out for no reason.

lostforawhile
01-06-2006, 07:57 PM
usually the combination switch,the key switch(the electrical part),the main relay in fuel injected cars(can sometimes be repaired),the ignition module. i really haven't had many electrical problems,I suspect a lot of the problems are corrosion in the circuits,probably caused by the same things that cause them to rust. haven't really had any rust problems eithier.

get_deez_nuts69
01-06-2006, 08:00 PM
i have an 89 lxi and my windows wont roll down or up unless i take out the relay fuse and connect 2 holes with a wire.

lostforawhile
01-06-2006, 08:28 PM
the fuse or the relay itself?

Ludi Mali
01-06-2006, 08:37 PM
i recently had a problem with the driver side window not going up and down all the time. It turned out to be some of the solder connections in the little black box inside the door. patched those and it works perfectly now.

keruhas184
01-06-2006, 09:35 PM
My hazards sometimes won't come on, you have to wiggle the switch to get them to work. Also, my headlights go out for a second when i turn on the left blinker, but i think thats because some assholes who tried to steal my car broke apart the steering column and some wire is loose.

newaccorddriver
01-06-2006, 10:36 PM
i recently had a problem with the driver side window not going up and down all the time. It turned out to be some of the solder connections in the little black box inside the door. patched those and it works perfectly now.

mine wont go up or down all the time, im gonna take my door apart and try that. its annoying when all the other doors work perfectly and i gotta wait for the damn buttom to work

get_deez_nuts69
01-06-2006, 10:53 PM
i put a peice of wire where the relay fuse is supposed to be in order to use my windows... fuckin ghetto but it works, but then my car wont shut off sometimes, i can take the keys out and it will keep running till i take the wire out.

AccordEpicenter
01-06-2006, 11:39 PM
lol that is really ghetto... Nice name too! DEEEEEZ NUUUUTZ