PDA

View Full Version : Camber correction

smufguy
01-06-2006, 07:50 AM
I was wondering a few things about the front camber correction for our cars that can be grafted onto our 3g from like the 4th gen or something. The parts listed below are all from a 4g accord.

Adjustable Ball Joint - Alignment Kit - Sliding Ball Joint - Front - Does One Wheel - Camber Adjustment Range +1.5 to +3.0 degrees

http://129.33.208.36/L0761501.jpg

Control Arm - Alignment Kit - Uprights - Front - Does One Wheel - Camber Adjustment Range 1.75 to 3.0 degrees - For Cars Lowered 1.5" to 3.0"

http://129.33.208.36/L0761372.jpg

The control arm would only work if the shaft bolt size is the same and the length of the actual arm bolt is long enough to go thru the full length of the strut tower.

Lets see what things can be adapted to our cars. I know this topic has been discussed before, but its been dead and gone a long time back.

Deadhead
01-06-2006, 08:04 AM
well, to correct my camber problems, I used 2nd gen prelude upper control arms.

There is a how to in the "how to" section.

they are cheap, fast, and easy to do.

Oldblueaccord
01-06-2006, 04:15 PM
I use the specialty products kit thats listed for our car. its ok. I'm getting about -2 degress camber with it. It has holes so its not infintely adjustable like that ball joint is. I thought about swaping the parts left to right I think I could get 4-6 degres negative that way if there is room behind the arms and the body. its very close.

That first picture is it the lower ball joint?

and the second pic. I think the holes in the frame where the upper arms bolt up thru dictate if that would work or not. Bolted together if its wider it wouldn't work. But I like how it looks.

wp

smufguy
01-06-2006, 08:52 PM
i have a third gen prelude control arm. and with 2" lowered im getting -2deg of camber even after alignment.

The first one (pic) is the upper balljoint that goes into the stock upper control arm of a 4g accord. If the diameter is the same as the stock 3g, then we can get it pressed.

the second pic is the side bolts that hold the upper control arm in place. The shaft bolt goes thru the hole in the picture and as u turn the dial on the outside, the hole spins either towards or away from the car and corrects the camber. i would defenitely go with the second picture set up, if the shaft bolt diameter is the same. i do not have a 4g upper control arm with me, i wish i did. If anyone have it, please compare it.

Strugglebucket
01-06-2006, 09:10 PM
if you elongate the slots in your prelude arms you should easily be able to get rid of all negative camber with a 2" drop. i drilled mine out about 5 millimeters and i have it set at -0.5 with room left over with a 2¼" drop.

the sliding balljoint i think would slip easily. the control arm i've never seen before. what is it that adjusts/holds in place the silver part? an internal gear?

guaynabo89
01-08-2006, 05:06 PM
the sliding balljoint i think would slip easily.

Actually it dosnt slip at all. I use this type on my 6th and fourth gen Accord.

The 4th gen sliding ball joint doesnt fit the third gen. You can mod the upper A arm to fit it though. I did this to my accord only to find out that the adjusting bolt sitting on top came into contact with the underbody because it sits higher than the stock ball joint so it didnt work.:thumbdn:

smufguy
01-08-2006, 06:45 PM
i prefer the second set camber correction better. the one where the whole arm i adjusted. I have to find out the differences in the stock 4th gen and 3g shaft bolts, the Control arm width (im positive the 4th gen is a lot wider, but just to compare) and the side bolts (i wish i knew their name, ugh) and their length. last thing i wanna do is chew up my new tires. :(

guaynabo89
01-08-2006, 07:22 PM
i prefer the second set camber correction better. the one where the whole arm i adjusted. I have to find out the differences in the stock 4th gen and 3g shaft bolts, the Control arm width (im positive the 4th gen is a lot wider, but just to compare) and the side bolts (i wish i knew their name, ugh) and their length. last thing i wanna do is chew up my new tires. :(

the fourth en upper arm is shaped like a wishbone with two bolts/pivot points where it attaches to the car. as to the third gen that has a pyramid shpaed upper arm with one long through bolt. the fourth gen has two short bolts that hold it on.

I think it would be rather hard to adapt those. I have the ingalls in th efront and they dont give me enough camber correction so i was thinking of either adding a prelude ball joint to the accord a arm, or using the prelude upper arms but weld in the accord rear shaft with the ingalls kit to get enough camber correction.

plus one more thing once you start adjusting the upper arm out it will eventuaaly hit the underframe of the car which you might have to massage out of the way with a heavy hammer.

Oldblueaccord
01-08-2006, 10:01 PM
I really don't think -2 degrees front is a problem. I have run it for about 2 years now thru many sets of 205/50/15 Falken Azenis sports tires with very very even wear. If any thing it keeps the outside edges in great shape all the way down to the wear bars on the tire.

wp

smufguy
01-09-2006, 08:13 AM
i know -2 is not a problem, but my left is more negative than the left. So i need something to fix the uneven camber so that my car wont be retarded on a turn. Besides, my left upper control arm is gone to shit from using the metal washers. Shit rusted and now is creeks. I already had the old one punch thru my strut tower and had to get two plates welded in. But now i run urathane bushings, and still i feel some chatter. I dont know if the 2nd gen and 3rd gen prelude arms are any different in length, but my 3rd gen one is not as good as i expected.

Oldblueaccord
01-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Mines (cambers) not same left to right either. I dont think it matters. Its not as sensitive as say your toe adjustment.

On my car the holes the upper arm bolts to arm oval so I get some looseness for time time or more like a rattling noise. I thought about reinforcing the holes with a plate but i never get around to it. plus the thru bolts arn't very long anyway kinda sucks.

Good luck getting it straighten out.

wp

smufguy
01-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Okay i came across this today. Ingalls camber kit for a 3rd gen prelude. Dont know how far its true, but here is the link. If think thing works, then i am better off getting a lude control arm and keeping the money. Cause this camber kit is only $70 (around) for a a pair. http://www.iconautoparts.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=35650_FRONT&type=store

Here is the installation sheet: http://www.ingallseng.com/Instructions/35640-35650.pdf

http://www.iconautoparts.com/mas_assets/full/35650_ex1.jpg
]http://www.iconautoparts.com/mas_assets/full/35650_ex1.jpg

http://www.iconautoparts.com/mas_assets/full/35640.jpg
http://www.iconautoparts.com/mas_assets/full/35640.jpg

JFreddy
01-26-2006, 11:01 PM
I see everyone talking about their -2 degree camber problems... is that in total or on each wheel? and on my car I got a -2.7 degree camber on each side... well ones positive and ones negative but thats besides the point. With prelude upper control arms will it fix this? because it only took one summer for me to run down my Kumho Ecsta tires on my 17's... and thats not doing many burnouts either.

88Accord-DX
01-27-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm dropped 2 1/2" in the front & didn't have a 2 degree camber problem with the prelude arms.. . Might have just got lucky. Had to adjust them all the way out though. I was going to drill them out if they didn't work. Did you end up getting a set of them camber kits?

smufguy
01-27-2006, 07:25 AM
-2 deg is for each wheel.

Dereck. I have not purchased the set yet. I am still working on going to the dealership and getting my upper control arms. then i have to call this place up and see if they have the kit available.

Deadhead
01-27-2006, 08:56 AM
I see everyone talking about their -2 degree camber problems... is that in total or on each wheel? and on my car I got a -2.7 degree camber on each side... well ones positive and ones negative but thats besides the point. With prelude upper control arms will it fix this? because it only took one summer for me to run down my Kumho Ecsta tires on my 17's... and thats not doing many burnouts either.

at the very least, it will help. You may not be able to get your positive camber back to zero, but it will certainly help, you could also extend the slot a bit.