PDA

View Full Version : thinking about painting dash... ideas?

AccordEpicenter
01-06-2006, 11:31 PM
I was thinking of painting the lower half flat black... possibly incar? Do you think i can mask it off good enough? Ehh i dunno. What you guys think?

http://www.fourgasmmotorsports.com/interior1.JPG

AccordRacing21
01-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Dude I've been thinking about painting my dash black too. Let me know how it turns out.

HondaBoy
01-06-2006, 11:49 PM
use krylon fusion paint and make sure you clean the hell outta the plastic. as for in-car painting, no. doesnt turn out that great. IMO, i think its better to take the dash out, i did. also, you'll most likely have a nice amount of overspray on everything if you do it in the car.

lostforawhile
01-07-2006, 08:53 AM
if you are going to go to the trouble to paint it,don't use the krylon paint, look up www.eastwood.com get the good stuff,you also need a proper vinyl dash primer for a base, and a vinal prep to open up the pores on the vinal. fushion is for painting plastic deck furniture and stuff like that. if you go to all that trouble to pull the dash, get some quality paint and do it right. if you go to an automotive paint suplier they can sell you some 3m plastic cleaner,that will remove all the years of armour all and stuff from your dash. don't use flammable metal prep products for this,they evaporate very slowly and are very dangerous on large plastic surfaces.

Bglad420
01-07-2006, 09:48 AM
You don't need any primer...waste of time and $$$ WAx and grease remover clean it real good....IE the fact that its plastic not vinyl ( the bottom half) Get cheap Wal-mart paint, and go to town....(Stay away from Rustoleum)
Trust me you'll be :)

AccordEpicenter
01-07-2006, 11:07 AM
hmm why ive had great results with rustoleum. Thats what i did my chargepipes and exhaust mani and front bumper after that cheapass paint chipped/flaked off. Stuff works nice??? Did you have problems with it on plastic?

Bglad420
01-07-2006, 11:12 AM
hmm why ive had great results with rustoleum. Thats what i did my chargepipes and exhaust mani and front bumper after that cheapass paint chipped/flaked off. Stuff works nice??? Did you have problems with it on plastic?
Cause you were painting metal, nt plastic...trust me on this one rustoleum+plastic=shit...........:deal:

lostforawhile
01-07-2006, 11:16 AM
well the rustoleam isn't for flexiible surfaces, the dash expands and contracts a lot in different tempratures and the paint will crack,plus it's flexible. if someone wants to put walmart paint on their dash,go right ahead,i havn't found an easy way to remove it yet once it starts flaking and fading in a couple of years. i've been painting plastic stuff for years, if you use cheap ass paint you'll pay for it later. for all the hassle to get the dash out,get the quality paint and don't worry about it anymore. and yes you should primer,that way you know the paint will stick. as for grease and wax remover,it has a slow evaporation time and it's flammable,do you know what happens when you try to wipe off a plastic dash? it creates static, the plastic cleaners have an alachol base which evaporates much faster and is far less dangerous. if you want to go the cheap route you can use rubbing alachol. think i'm kidding about the danger? people have been burned to death using petroleam based cleaners on plastic, especially in cold dry weather,lots of static

Bglad420
01-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Too bad wax and grease remover is non petrolium based.....I've been building and restoring cars for 10 years my dad for 35 years, and neither of us have been blown up.....scotch brite the area to get adhesion If you are that worried about it, Use plastiprep by dupont.

AccordEpicenter
01-07-2006, 12:57 PM
well im just saying i used rust oleum satin black on my front bumper and it works killer, no cracks no nothing. I just wanted to paint the lower half of the dash, not the vinyl part

lostforawhile
01-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Too bad wax and grease remover is non petrolium based.....I've been building and restoring cars for 10 years my dad for 35 years, and neither of us have been blown up.....scotch brite the area to get adhesion If you are that worried about it, Use plastiprep by dupont.thats what i was talking about,the plastic prep. and most wax and grease removers i've seen all have flammable warnings and do not use on a large surface warnings all over them. I wasn't trying to put you down or anything,what brand of wax and grease remover are you using anyway? if it's non petroleam based i might look into it. I forgot to mention about the scotch brite, you just have to really get it clean because ammour all is really hard to get all out and it will cause fisheyes. another really good product that might work good on the lower half of the dash is the duplicolor bumper coating, i used it first on my back bumper years ago and haven't had any problems other then the occasional rock chip. thats also what i used on my front bumper recently. it has that nice satin black finish that matches the dash trim plastic really well. if you want to get a laugh there were a couple of episodes of pimp my ride where the tried to paint the dash without even cleaning it. :bowrofl: what a f--cked up mess.

JFreddy
01-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I had the same dash as you, and I painted mine in my car, well just the bottom half anyways so it was all black, if u mask it off and take ur time to mask it, it turns out fine for me. For paint i just cleaned it real well and used Vynl paint from Canadian Tire lol. meh may not be amazing but its been great to me for 2 yrs now, no scratches or anything.

military mase
01-07-2006, 05:14 PM
I used Folia-tec. Got if from a company in Canada. It works wonders. I'v had mine painted for 3 yrs now. I can't remember the site but you should be able to find it.....

Here's the site i got mine from http://www.ppsonline.net/foliatec_spray.htm

AccordEpicenter
01-07-2006, 08:20 PM
got pics jfreddy? How does it look?

guaynabo89
01-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Well I myself painted the lower half in car and it came out great.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid195/p4f05df5c7fe45b5262b9a8e7609917eb/f156d1d4.jpg

My dash was all burgandy and I had paint made to match the inserts in my seats at a local paint shop for like 20-25 dollars. I got some quality plastic adhesion promoter for like 10.

I used dish washing soap to clean the dash in the car then made sure the dash was dry. masked off the whole dash and interior with tape newspaper and drop cloths, sparayed the adhesion promoter according to the directions then proceeded to paint. came out great

take secial attention to the change bucket, the removable lower dash panel and nooks and such. cleaning and prepping these area is key.

I haven had any problem with chipping excepst a small scratch where I dropped a heavy screwdriver.

and if you ask why dish washing soap, it removes virtually all grease. its worked better for me than most surface preps. (only quality dishwashing soap no dollar store stuff)

AccordRacing21
01-08-2006, 10:49 PM
What size LCD is that? I've been thinking about doing that w/my LCD!

3rdgenhatchDX
01-09-2006, 08:09 AM
I'd guess its 5" maybe 7"....

w00tw00t111
01-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Tim I'm with you. I do alot of dealings with an auto paint supply store and I've asked them as well as 2 professional painters and they said what you're saying. I think the key is what type of job do you want. 1. A mediocre job that is quick or 2.A proffesional level job that takes quite a bit of time and is somewhat of a pain. For pro level I would suggest:
Degreasing the whole surface *vinyl or plastic prep degreaser depending on the material youre using* then take out some higher grit sand paper and scuff it up. Then degrease some more and then get an even higher grit sandpaper. Fully clean and degrease it. Then spray plastic primer or vinyl adhesion promotor. Sand *if priming* Then get SEM or PPG brand interior paints. Paints MADE for this purpose. Just because it can be used on plastic doesn't mean that it's the best thing for plastic. Usually you'll have a glossy look w/ normal spray paint and as Tim said most normal sp is not made to flex as the SEM and PPG brand paints are.

This is just my .02c if I'm going to spend the time to do something I want it to look right.

guaynabo89
01-09-2006, 05:00 PM
its a wide 7

youmight try flexible bumper paint in either flat black or semi gloss if your going the cheap route

lostforawhile
01-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Tim I'm with you. I do alot of dealings with an auto paint supply store and I've asked them as well as 2 professional painters and they said what you're saying. I think the key is what type of job do you want. 1. A mediocre job that is quick or 2.A proffesional level job that takes quite a bit of time and is somewhat of a pain. For pro level I would suggest:
Degreasing the whole surface *vinyl or plastic prep degreaser depending on the material youre using* then take out some higher grit sand paper and scuff it up. Then degrease some more and then get an even higher grit sandpaper. Fully clean and degrease it. Then spray plastic primer or vinyl adhesion promotor. Sand *if priming* Then get SEM or PPG brand interior paints. Paints MADE for this purpose. Just because it can be used on plastic doesn't mean that it's the best thing for plastic. Usually you'll have a glossy look w/ normal spray paint and as Tim said most normal sp is not made to flex as the SEM and PPG brand paints are.
This is just my .02c if I'm going to spend the time to do something I want it to look right.yea I used the nappa brand tech-niques flexible bumper primer on my bumper,it worked great, it's for semi rigid surfaces like trim bumpers rtc,not sure if it would work on the soft vinal parts. it has the adhesion promoter built in to it. i coated the bumpers with the duplicolor bumper coating,for a spray product i've had excellent results,i did the rear bumper several years ago with the same product. other then some chips from going down a gravel road,haven't had any problems at all. I just did some of te window trims with the same products waiting for them to dry, I would say always use something like dupont plastic prep, I cleaned them with good dish soap before,but when i sprayed them with the plastic prep,you wouldn't believe the stuff that came off.
it really is hard to remove old car wax and armour all. if you look at the eastwood link i put up,they carry some excellent vinal paints,and are really reasonable. i've ordered stuff from them for years everything has always been top quality. their buisness is restoration products and tools,and with their reputation in the car world,they can't afford to carry junk.

A18A
01-11-2006, 03:52 PM
black is kinda dull/boring, i wanna paint it white now lol, i like the dash in pearldrops old car

aerokid1987
01-13-2006, 04:44 PM
PLEASE don't paint it black, The tan looks so sweet! Always has always will! :banned:

lostforawhile
01-13-2006, 09:15 PM
yea i was going to paint mine when i had the dash out for the heater core but was really short on time. and why do you have a banned thingy on your post??

gfrg88
01-13-2006, 09:26 PM
:werd: i was wondering the exact same thing, whats with the banned smily thingy????

Trick87Accord
01-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Yeah man i painted my dash inside the car, and i did a good job all you have to do it make sure you take your time, and check every little crack and crevis how ever the hell you spell it. I did it and it turned out great just make sure you have some laqure thinner in case you get some on the windows and anywhere else you dont want the paint to go. Good luck post pics after you get it done.

Shadowkat
01-25-2006, 04:51 PM
:werd: i was wondering the exact same thing, whats with the banned smily thingy????
I think he's banning you from painting your dash. . .?