PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak from under the car.

maxcrx
01-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Greetings fellow 3geers,

I have a siutation with my car on the terms of oil leak. I was changing my oil and noticed a leak somewhere near the the driver under the car. It is not from the oil pan, but somwhere near the timing belt cover near the left driver area. There are times when I am driving that I can smell smoke and actually see it coming from under the hood. I hope that this is not a big problem to the engine, but I do have to refill the oil every 500-1000 miles. It leaves a few drops after I park the car and so.

Anyone have ideas of what to do.

88Accord-DX
01-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Valve cover, head gasket maybe. Cam seal could leak too, but would be leaking down pass the timing cover on the bottom. Might need to pop off the top timing cover to check it out. Just remove the valve cover & top timing cover to investigate.

dvaughan
01-07-2006, 12:22 PM
i have the same prob. i think its the cam seal cause we just changed the head gasket and bought a new bolt for the oil pan...

Oldblueaccord
01-07-2006, 03:13 PM
If you think is down low its prolly the oil pump. It leaks pas the shaft and mist oil all over. it will be hard to tell.
pretty common on our cars according to my parts buddy at the Honda dealership. Of course I didn't listen to him swore it was the front seal and after changing 3 of them heh I did the oil pump.

wp

maxcrx
01-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Do any know the run down on how hard to fix the problem. I know changing the timing belt is a hassle on these cars due to limited access without dropping the engine. How much does it cost for parts also. I'm ok with a tool. I changed brakes and suspension,but not the other stuff.

As people suggest.
I should change the valve cover, then the oil pan gasket. but is the crank seal or cam seal hard to do??

Oldblueaccord
01-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Just like ddudes posted I would go from the top and work my way down. Assuming you have no clue where the oil is coming from. Valve cover and distributor oil seal is very easy. Cam seal a little harder. oil pan gasket mid way. Timing belt/oil pump/ frnt seal more difficult and I would say the rear main the hardest.

I have also recommend this before try using a oil dye and black light to see where the oil is coming from if your unsure. Or try and find a shop that does it.

http://www.autobarn.net/tratp3400060.html

wp

russiankid
01-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Just like ddudes posted I would go from the top and work my way down. Assuming you have no clue where the oil is coming from. Valve cover and distributor oil seal is very easy. Cam seal a little harder. oil pan gasket mid way. Timing belt/oil pump/ frnt seal more difficult and I would say the rear main the hardest.
I have also recommend this before try using a oil dye and black light to see where the oil is coming from if your unsure. Or try and find a shop that does it.
http://www.autobarn.net/tratp3400060.html
wp
this also puts crap into your engine

Bglad420
01-07-2006, 06:50 PM
this also puts crap into your engine

No it doesent.........

russiankid
01-07-2006, 06:54 PM
No it doesent.........
color aditive that you poor into the engine,hm....

Bglad420
01-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Trust me it doesn't.....

russiankid
01-07-2006, 07:00 PM
Trust me it doesn't.....
why wouldnt it? if it pretty much stains the oil so it will be colored, making it go all over the engine, and leaving behind alll that color inside the engine, clogging up the oil filter and oil pick up line, IMO not a good idea

Bglad420
01-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Its not color,its a solution. you pour a little bit in and hold a light to the engine and the solution will glow indicating your leak. IT dosen't contain annything that would fuck your engine up....would you use octane booster???

Bglad420
01-07-2006, 07:08 PM
These Dye Lite fluorescent dyes are specially formulated for oil and petroleum based fluid systems.

touring 1
01-07-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm gopng to try replacing the oil filter base rubber gasket. That was mentioned in another thread, hard to see the leak. Remove the airbox to get to it(I'm PFI)?

russiankid
01-08-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm gopng to try replacing the oil filter base rubber gasket. That was mentioned in another thread, hard to see the leak. Remove the airbox to get to it(I'm PFI)?
yes that can cause a leak, PIA to replace, but after you replace you will be happy,lol