PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for disconnecting vacuum hoses?

visionguru
01-07-2006, 08:47 PM
I was trying to disconnect some vacuum hoses, but found them very tight to be twisted off.
The last time when I disconnected the vacuum hose to the hot air motor, I broke the hose and had to cut it shorter.

What's the proper tool and technique to safely disconnect vacuum hoses in our cars? Any special tools?

Please share your experiences.

Thanks.

A20A1
01-07-2006, 08:55 PM
needle nose pliers... just be very very gentle though when you twist the vacuum tube on the vacuum port... some ports are plastic and will snap off. Then you're screwed.

Sometime you can pinch the hose right after the port, so you don't crush the vacuum port but it's close enough so that when you spin the tube it will loosen on the port.

small needle nose, but long nose with relatively deep teeth in the mouth of the pliers... sometimes the finer smaller teeth pliers will work, but then they might slip more too.

If the tube comes apart, it's okay, most vacuum lines can be replaced with a 5/32mm hose.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-08-2006, 12:11 PM
As a last resort you can also carefully slice the hose lengthwise (just don't score the connector) and peel it off. Then replace the hose. Also, if you come upon a stubborn one, use the needle nose pliers just before the connector and then move up a little until you loosen the hose all along the connector length. Hope this helps.