PDA

View Full Version : braking performance

b20a86lude
01-09-2006, 10:20 AM
whats the best braking system u can do with out going higher than 15 inch wheels i just cant stand 16 inch and above its so ugly can i get a performance calper for 15inchs

bobafett
01-09-2006, 10:54 AM
well the current 'thing' seems to be trying to adapt integra brakes onto our cars... readup in the brakes section for more info

if you want a simple simple setup, like off the shelf stuff, i would (and i dont know if this applies to ludes) get 88-89 lxi front brake setup and sei rears, then get greenstuff pads in the front, whatever the best pads u can find for the rear, and then some SS braided lines and good fluid, without ABS its super easy to lock up the brakes, so unless u have super sticky tires this is probably more than enough brakes. also u can get EBC slotted dimpled rotors for cheap. :)

Ludi Mali
01-09-2006, 12:24 PM
if you can lock up you brakes already is there a point to upgrading them to have more holding power. as you said, without abs or stickier tires you'll just lock them up faster which is potentially more dangerous.

Bglad420
01-09-2006, 12:31 PM
They won't lock up once they get hot.....JDM accords had dual piston calipers they might work...I know they use the smaller 86-87 rotors though.

guaynabo89
01-09-2006, 03:05 PM
whats the best braking system u can do with out going higher than 15 inch wheels i just cant stand 16 inch and above its so ugly can i get a performance calper for 15inchs

jdm dual piston calipers like the ones i have.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/p3aa6c36fd07f411bcd439b56d6094b62/f773cc17.jpg

for sale right now if interrested:deal:

Bglad420
01-09-2006, 03:06 PM
jdm dual piston calipers like the ones i have.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/p3aa6c36fd07f411bcd439b56d6094b62/f773cc17.jpg
for sale right now if interrested:deal:

Will those bolt up to my 88 LXi hatch if so I will buy them

guaynabo89
01-09-2006, 03:27 PM

if you have the smaller rotors yes. if you have the larger brake setup then no.

reason ihavent put them on is cause i have the 89 sei brake setup all around.

so they wont fit the hubs

cardoc33
01-09-2006, 08:06 PM
if you can lock up you brakes already is there a point to upgrading them to have more holding power. as you said, without abs or stickier tires you'll just lock them up faster which is potentially more dangerous.

Read up on a technique called "threshold braking". A skilled driver doesn't need ABS.

3gn86lxi
01-09-2006, 08:59 PM
I would just upgrade to 88-89.
Thats what I am doing, I have the knuckles, mstr cylender, and proportioning valve that I am goint to install. Along with cross drilled rotors and carbon metallic pads.
Speaking of which, does anyone know where to get wheel bearings cheap??

88Accord-DX
01-09-2006, 09:14 PM
O'Reilys should have them I think. The front bearings need the hub pressed off the knuckle & bearings pressed out of the knuckle.
The rears just pressed out the hub.

Oldblueaccord
01-10-2006, 01:45 AM

What pad do those use?

Ours use the D409.

wp

cardoc33
01-10-2006, 11:10 AM
+For extra points, learn how to modulate braking using your left foot.
Really good to know how to do at track days. =)

Try left foot braking during an autocross, thats a real dance;)

cardoc33
01-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I would just upgrade to 88-89.
Thats what I am doing, I have the knuckles, mstr cylender, and proportioning valve that I am goint to install. Along with cross drilled rotors and carbon metallic pads.

I can get you front wheel bearings for $36.00 each plus shipping. Also, if your interested, PBR/Axxis Ceramic front pads for $41.00.

3gn86lxi
01-10-2006, 09:08 PM
I can get you front wheel bearings for $36.00 each plus shipping. Also, if your interested, PBR/Axxis Ceramic front pads for $41.00.
Hmmm, p.m. me with details about the bearings please cardoc33. I did check locally and the best my guy can do is around $50 each.
Thanks

Ludi Mali
01-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Read up on a technique called "threshold braking". A skilled driver doesn't need ABS.

True, but 95% of drivers aren't skilled drivers. and theres also the physics involved. you can only stop so fast as your tires don't skid. your tires have the same amount of friction with the road regardless of brakes so they will lock up as the same amount of pressure is being applied to the disks. I'd say wider/stickier tires would give you better stopping power before bigger brakes would. And then in that instance you could use bigger brakes to overcome the extra inertia that is created by using a larger, heavier wheel and tire combo, but if you can bring them to the "threshold" with smaller brakes what advantage do you gain with bigger brakes.

Oldblueaccord
01-12-2006, 11:51 PM
True, but 95% of drivers aren't skilled drivers. and theres also the physics involved. you can only stop so fast as your tires don't skid. your tires have the same amount of friction with the road regardless of brakes so they will lock up as the same amount of pressure is being applied to the disks. I'd say wider/stickier tires would give you better stopping power before bigger brakes would. And then in that instance you could use bigger brakes to overcome the extra inertia that is created by using a larger, heavier wheel and tire combo, but if you can bring them to the "threshold" with smaller brakes what advantage do you gain with bigger brakes.

You make some good points.

I think with improved brakes you have the pontential to brake much better. This is very evident at high speeds with a better brake setup.

I use what I call the F1 style of braking . I try to brake the hardest I can at high speeds and slowly taper off as the speed decreases. That way your minimizing brake lock up which occurs mostly at lower speeds. So as I roll up to a stop sign for example I'm not nearly using the brake pedal as I was say a 100 yards. Its oppsosite of what your taught and takes some pactice.

F1 type cars rely on down force for there taction so they brake accordingly. Hard at fast speeds and low at slow speeds since there's little downforce to give them big tires traction.

Also just to confuse things I downshift when I stop but thats a whole another story.

wp

cardoc33
01-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I use what I call the F1 style of braking . I try to brake the hardest I can at high speeds and slowly taper off as the speed decreases.

This is threshold braking. The idea is to keep the tires at the limit of adhesion. You would use this technique as you approach the corner, then taper off the brake as you feed in steering input, still keeping the tires at the limit. That is called "trail braking". When you reach the apex, you should be finished braking and applying throttle, this is where left foot braking comes in handy. Check this out.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0962057312/103-9171545-7908665?v=glance&n=283155

bobafett
01-13-2006, 11:12 AM
yeah oldblueaccord i brake the same way. i quickly roll onto the brakes agressivly, then decrease pedal pressure until im stopped or slowed down appropriately.

i find that you come to a smoother stop this way. i hate the feeling of riding in a car when someone doesnt get on the brakes until the last second and they jam them lol