PDA

View Full Version : Car starts, then dies...

Coitis1
08-19-2002, 01:17 PM
ok, i was at a friends house and i was about to leave. i started the car and it died after about a sec. So i'm there crankin it for awhile and now it won't even start. i call my dad and tells me to let it sit for 15 min. He said it was probably the fuel pump regulator b/c that happened w/ his old van. I let it sit and come back to start it and it actually starts, but dies. This happens a few more times then my friends dad comes out and has me pop the hood( he is an older guy and it looked like he knew some stuff about cars, had a couple of old, old chevy's sit out). We looked under the hood for a couple min. and he says its probably the fuel line filter. Well i get back in the try it one last time and it starts and then the rpm's started dropping and i started pumpin like crazy. It eventually stayed on and I got home. I just wanna know if n e one has some suggestions to what the problem is?? thanks

shepherd79
08-19-2002, 01:32 PM
i think the old guy may be right. it can be that your fuel filter i dirty as hell or your pump doesn't pump enought fuel. get fuel pressure tester and see if you get any fuel puming.
plus did you look under the seat for blinking light.
read the code and than you should get your answer.

ACCORD EX
08-19-2002, 02:48 PM
i would change both filters ! and follow ALex advice on blinking ECU !

MIKE

rocky2
08-19-2002, 03:29 PM
See if it'll run on starting fliud,thats the 1st thing I grab when engines won't start. Narrows troubleshooting down fast.

Coitis1
08-19-2002, 07:36 PM
well i had to go to practice after this all happened and it started fine both times i tryed to start it, thank god. but i'll go ahead and try to replace the filters and the check the ecu. thanks for everything.