PDA

View Full Version : exhaust cut out valve=I'm scared

Shadowkat
01-09-2006, 06:53 PM
A friend of mine has a really nice Integra GSR and he's in the process of making it a nice sleeper. So far he has some good sleeper-esque bolt-ons such as lightweight pullys, headers, intake, V-TEC controller and things to that nature, and he plans on installing a supercharger soon after more planing and saving. Of course in true sleeper fasion, the outside is completly stock, except for the removed V-TEC badge. His most recent bolt on however really has me interested. It's an exhaust cut out valve, with an electronically controlled valve, so basically, he flips a switch in the interior and it opens a valve right after the headers and it allows the exhaust to flow straight out from there. First of all, I think it's really cool because it's loud enough to send me running scared when he revvs to only 3000 rpm, so i can't imagine how some ricer would react when they think they challenged some idiot with an integra and suddenly they can't hear themselves think. Also, I think this is the perfect sleeper exhaust mod because it goes from quiet, very restrictive, max power stealing to extremly loud, completly unrestricted, min power stealing with the flip of a switch. I know this is a long post, but what it all boils down to is this, I want to know what you guys think of this type of mod, and if anyone would consider trying it on their 3g? (just a question, i don't plan on trying this, just interested in opinions)

AccordEpicenter
01-09-2006, 07:37 PM
bolt ons in a teg... I bet it moves but i doubt its gonna really surprise people, there are tons of kids all around with i/h/e tegs. Tell your friend he should go turbo. Ahh yes, cutouts do work, but they tend to stick/malfunction after a few months. Even really high priced electric cutouts.

Shadowkat
01-09-2006, 07:53 PM
bolt ons in a teg... I bet it moves but i doubt its gonna really surprise people, there are tons of kids all around with i/h/e tegs. Tell your friend he should go turbo. Ahh yes, cutouts do work, but they tend to stick/malfunction after a few months. Even really high priced electric cutouts.

I believe my friend has some kind of warranty on his, if he doesn't, then I hope it doesn't go bad because it's really cool. Also, like I said he's going the way of his supercharger, which would probably be the true surprise in his sleeper. I asked him why he decided to go supercharger over turbo and he gave me his reasoning, unfortunatly i can't remember what he said.

lostforawhile
01-09-2006, 07:58 PM
well I have an open exaust with a cherry bomb so i doubt it could get much louder,but with that valve where it is you wouldn't have any low end torque at all,you need some exaust velocity. that would work good with an rpm switch to just operate in a certain rpm range. it's best at higer rpms. at low rpms you need velocity in the exaust system to scavenge the cyl head.

touring 1
01-09-2006, 08:16 PM
There's a few guys with Vettes, and I imagine, others who run the cutout. I don't but it's just a personal choice. it does sound nasty!

Shadowkat
01-09-2006, 08:36 PM
well I have an open exaust with a cherry bomb so i doubt it could get much louder,but with that valve where it is you wouldn't have any low end torque at all,you need some exaust velocity. that would work good with an rpm switch to just operate in a certain rpm range. it's best at higer rpms. at low rpms you need velocity in the exaust system to scavenge the cyl head.

What is this cherry bomb that you speak of? is it some sort of resonator? Also, I had thought about the exhaust velocity thing as well, but since my friend is going to supercharge his motor wouldn't that cover the loss in low end torque enough so that you don't lose too much ground when getting up to high rpms in a racing situation?

lostforawhile
01-09-2006, 10:48 PM
What is this cherry bomb that you speak of? is it some sort of resonator? Also, I had thought about the exhaust velocity thing as well, but since my friend is going to supercharge his motor wouldn't that cover the loss in low end torque enough so that you don't lose too much ground when getting up to high rpms in a racing situation?it's an open glass pack muffler,the whole system all the way from the manifold to the exaust tip is open. with no converter i mean AHEM-with a "test" pipe. it would still work best with an rpm switch so it would be closed at low rpms. I've heard of systems like this that opened progressivly as the rpms went up,thats the best way. at high rpms the cut out works best.
cherry bomb:
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_276_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2050000-2050999/2050019_257_full.jpg

lostforawhile
01-09-2006, 10:48 PM
What is this cherry bomb that you speak of? is it some sort of resonator? Also, I had thought about the exhaust velocity thing as well, but since my friend is going to supercharge his motor wouldn't that cover the loss in low end torque enough so that you don't lose too much ground when getting up to high rpms in a racing situation?it's an open glass pack muffler,the whole system all the way from the manifold to the exaust tip is open. with no converter i mean AHEM-with a "test" pipe. it would still work best with an rpm switch so it would be closed at low rpms. I've heard of systems like this that opened progressivly as the rpms went up,thats the best way. at high rpms the cut out works best.