PDA

View Full Version : 89 DX tranny options

StupidSheet
01-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Ok here's the deal, I have a beater 89 DX. I blew fifth gear in it but I've still been driving it on the highway back and forth to work. With revving it so high, the valve seals are now gone. If I can find a tranny for it what trannys will fit. I have searched the forums and realize that the 85-87 Prelude tranny bolts right in but are there others?

Also since the valve seals are now gone, I was thinking it might be easier and faster to just find another beater and do a full motor and tranny swap if I can find something cheap enough. What vehicles could I look for to get a suitable donor. (i.e. Civic, Prelude, different year Accord?) Thx in advance for your help.

Bglad420
01-10-2006, 09:14 PM
A couple guys took the G! teg trans and put the guts in the accord case, The teg has lower gears......

StupidSheet
01-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Ok I looked around and there are two available. One is a 90 Accord and the other is from a 87. Will either of these bolt right in?

Bglad420
01-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Ok I looked around and there are two available. One is a 90 Accord and the other is from a 87. Will either of these bolt right in?
The 87 will bolt right up, not the 90 though they have a completley different motor and trans.

HondaBoy
01-10-2006, 10:34 PM
86-89 accord trannys will fit. and the 85-87 prelude ones fit. but unfortunately nothing else just bolts up.

StupidSheet
01-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Ok thx guys. One more question though, do I have to pull the motor to replace the tranny? This is the first front wheel drive I have ever owned so I'm not sure whats the best or easiest way. I've done alot of trannys in pickups and 4x4s but not FWD.

Bglad420
01-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Ok thx guys. One more question though, do I have to pull the motor to replace the tranny? This is the first front wheel drive I have ever owned so I'm not sure whats the best or easiest way. I've done alot of trannys in pickups and 4x4s but not FWD.

No you dont have to pull the motor just jack up the car high enogh to get the tranny down and out, and up and in, undo the lower ball joints and remove the cv axles, and I remove the passenger radius rod, and the cross member that crosses from the front of the car to the fire wall...

Immeraufdemhund
01-14-2006, 06:35 PM
i found that by just hitting the side of the control arm with a big hammer with no pressure on the ball joint and it will pop out on its own. It has to do with the tapered end i think..but it works everytime. just hit a good few times on both side and then it just gives in..it's cool...

and the tranny is fairly easy to take out even being fwd. I found it easy to remove the battery tray and battery to get access to some of the front bolts, although not necessary it is kinda nice.