PDA

View Full Version : 10s or 12s?

wallyyfm
01-11-2006, 02:21 AM
I work at UPS, and I get an amazing discount on all infinity's stuff. I'l building a new system for the new accord ('86). So, I have the option of getting

Infinity Kappa Perftects, either 12.1Ds, or 10 DVQs

what do you think is more fitting for the accord, 10s, or 12s, i'm leaning toward 10s...i think the 10s would be cleaner and tighter given the small trunkspace

these will be pushed with a 90's rockford 800a2 @ 2 ohms, both the 10 and 12s are 350 RMS

all I've ever un is 12's, but this was also in a buick lesabre...

I'l also be doing a custom installation using a sealed enclosure, no bandpass for me, to match the subs recommendations of 1 cubic foot

this install will be very pro, clean, ie detailing the entire trunk properly, not throwing a box in there like some and say thats it

let me know your thoughts

l3aLLa
01-14-2006, 08:29 AM
Well put it this way, do you want clean clear bass or do you like the fact of having bass that hurts your ears? I would prefer 10's only because you would get 10x's clearer bass. That and like you said, its smaller and will leave you some trunk space if you ever needed it. If you do use infinity, I would personally use infinity all the way around, it sounds much better if you go infinity everything, besides the amp since it doesnt matter. Post up some pics when you get things going!

FyreDaug
01-14-2006, 12:43 PM
I would prefer 10's only because you would get 10x's clearer bass.

bullshit, dont listen to him.

The key differences between 10's and 12's are size and weight. Which result in different frequency responses. The 12's will respond just about as fast as the 10's but they will go lower, so you will get more bass. The sub is 20% larger, so its obvious you will get more bass out of it.

If you want good punch get the 12's. The only thing you will get better with the 10's is a little more crisp bass on songs like Stiff Upper Lip by acdc and stuff like that where its hard bass quickly. But personally I would still go with the 12's. Theyll hit it just as good.

So 12's.

EDIT: And with the 12's you dont need THAT MUCH more space in your trunk. Get someone who knows what they are doing to build and tune a box for you. Itll be 10% larger with the 12's. If this was a debate between 12's and 15's Id say take the smaller ones, but 12's are the all around good sub. I had a single type R 12" in my car powered by a 500w RF amp, and it would make you go deaf. But ofcourse I had the trunk dynamatted and no back seats. Your choice really.

spnrx
01-14-2006, 01:17 PM
We have lots of space in our carsQ My friend for a day or two stored his 2 12" Kicker solobaric L7's in my trunk w/ a monsterous box. I'm thiought maybe of getting 4 12's and 2 15's and when I'm finished......ya know.

Later,
Spnr X

HondaBoy
01-14-2006, 01:26 PM
being that i've had so many subs, i would say go with 12's or even a single 15.

shadow lxi
01-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Ive got 2 kicker comp 15s in my trunk and i still have room to put stuff in . I put my two amps on the back of the fold down seat for easy access and built two sealed boxes faced them together and connected them with four strips of wood to keep them appart and they hit loud as hell it just took some amount of force to put them in there but well worth it much better than 12s but heavyer .

FyreDaug
01-16-2006, 12:13 PM
15's sound like crap though, sure they can hit hard... I dunno, im not much of a bass freak, I prefer my music to sound good. But it does go loud (single type R at 134db)

Cheeseburger
01-16-2006, 12:45 PM
dam wallyyfm thats sweet man....

wallyyfm
01-16-2006, 05:46 PM
dam wallyyfm thats sweet man....

if you guys saw what i pay, i can get the 12.Ds for 60 bucks ahhaahha

anyway, im building a very simple yet custom setup

first, im taking out the flooring and doing a MDF base floor, with a hinge system to access the spare, then creating an MDF border around a box and all sides of the trunk, in here will be 2 infinity ref 311A mono sub amps wired to 2 rockford digital caps running into the 12.1Ds @ 2 ohms, in a normal sealed enclosure, with 1 cu/ft per sub, however, with the border im constructing around the box, it'll look like all one piece of MDF, this is all behind the seats

OR

I'm going to take 2 truck boxes with the proper dimensions, and install them in the left and right areas behind the wheel wells, opposite each other for distortion, create a false floor and line the rear of the seats with 3/4 MDF and then mount the amps on a hinge system connected to the rear seats, thus making them still useable as fold downs...i'm unure at the moment how I want to do this...

jigga225
01-17-2006, 09:43 PM
get a pair of 12's man. Ive had all kinds of trunk setups. I had 2 12 Kicker Comp VRs and they were nice all around
just my .02
peace.

Hash_man_Se_i
01-18-2006, 10:02 AM
It's all preference, personally I like the sound of 10's much better... but most of my friends hav 12's... some of them sound good.

ghettogeddy
01-18-2006, 04:05 PM
It's all preference, personally I like the sound of 10's much better... but most of my friends hav 12's... some of them sound good.

i agree its all preferance but there is a dif in size 8's have really tight bass 10's are tight and carry 12's carry and 15's are just rediculs

FyreDaug
01-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Personally I would have 4 8" subs in the rear deck and a big 15" with some good power in the trunk

fraza
01-26-2006, 03:56 PM
ive got 1 12" and it hammers, people in the back seat are always complaining that its too loud and there face keeps vibrating. and ive got alot of space left in the trunk, i would say go a 12, and get a ported box tuned to about 32 hz,

FyreDaug
01-27-2006, 08:09 AM
32hz is too low it wont sound very good, your rattle the shit out of you car and vibrate everything but it wont sound very good. 45-50 would be a better choice

bobafett
01-27-2006, 11:51 AM
i went from 2 10"s, to 1 10", to 1 12"... i liked the sound of 2 10"s the best... the 12 really doesnt sound very good, i dont like it at all, even though i have a much better amp powering it... :(

Wrayza
01-27-2006, 10:12 PM
FyreDaug I designed Fraza's box and I don't think 32Hz is too low.

You made a very good post at the beginning that I can't agree more with, but I disagree with this.

The sub is a Pioneer 306c, plotted in WinISD pro the 32Hz tuning gives a perfectly flat response and drops away after 30Hz. Any higher and you would get large peaks and less low end response, no matter what sub it is. Some people like the sound of a gigantic peak at 45-50Hz, but to me it's unrealistic.

I guess it's personal choice, but nothing is wrong at the end of the day as long as you like it.

FyreDaug
01-28-2006, 01:03 PM
No man, peaks are bad. But if it has to be ported then I would much rather have it tuned higher than 32.

Id rather have good punch than good rumble, and thats what you are getting at 32hz. Hell if it didnt sound so bad for everything else other than 60hz, Id keep a box tuned at 60. You get great bass on rock songs, but thats about it, it sounds like ass otherwise. And 32 is the other extremety, your 60s will sound weak and rock music wont sound so good. Overall for a general sound system when people listen to pretty much anything around 45 is the typical norm. It does somewhat depend on the sub too, but box design is crucial.

Maybe it is personal preference, but 32 is definately too low.

An ABC construction box built goo would sound nice, tuned at 35, 55. I only heard one of those with a 12" older Rockford but it sounded nice and clean.
ABC would be the way to go if it didnt take 3x the space lol

Wrayza
01-28-2006, 06:57 PM
Ok, fair enough we're both on the same page here.

But as I said, in this situation with the mentioned 306c sub tuned to 32Hz the response is perfectly flat when plotted on a graph by WinISD. Being perfectly flat, recordings will sound the way they were intended to when mixed, be it rock or anything else. Natural peaks generated by the cars cabin not withstanding.

If you tune your box higher and get more output around 60Hz (the peak), then you would of course hear more in that frequency range. It's not the way the recording was meant to sound, but its the way you like it.

So why is it wrong to hear the track as the artist wanted it? Some people prefer boosted low end and others like it accurate. There really is no wrong tuning for a ported box.

I'll stick with a flat response and extended low end.

FyreDaug
01-29-2006, 09:37 AM
:werd: then

2drSE-i
01-30-2006, 10:13 AM
if the 10s are DVQ id say go with them

FyreDaug
02-07-2006, 12:19 PM
Oh and just for clarification, it does depend on the sub. Like Wrayza said flat response is what you want, and I whole heartedly agree. But most of the time tuning really low, or just building a box via schematic with whatever sub will sound differently, all ahrdware must be compatible for the best sound. And when people usually tune their subs low its because they want to shake the crap out of their car. For me though, I noticed that 45hz is best in the back of a 4dr dynamtted no-back-seat accord with a Type R (not sure what the dimensions of the box are exactly) the only thing is the low's eventually started to drop off once you got really down there, and it rose up a little around 45hz, it sounded good, and is currently in my gf's 93 cav, doesnt sound nearly as good in that car.

onehotaccord
02-09-2006, 07:25 AM
$60 is a good price for those subs..kappa perfects right? they were around $300 a piece through crutchfield a few years ago!

gp02a0083
02-09-2006, 10:04 AM
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5880/dsc002144xs.th.jpg (http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc002144xs.jpg)

those are my 12"s one is a alpine type -s and the other is a pioneer the alpine gives more of the low end of the bass and the pioneer gives better mid range they work great and the bass isnt sloppy at all

aerokid1987
02-09-2006, 12:59 PM
I just wanted to say that I had a box with 4, 8" jbl's in my old explorer and I absolutely loved the sound it had. It was really clear and tight. My dad is very knowledgeable about speaker wiring and he wired them so the two on one side would be pushing out while the two on the other side were pulling in. I had pioneer amps powering it and I wish I had kept it instead of selling it with the car. The box was custom made by yours truly and I made it sealed which gave it a really tight deep rumble.

86-accord-lxi
02-09-2006, 04:22 PM
www.powered4sound.com
Watch the videos !
A 12", or 15" may play deeper, but not always louder than a 10", 8", or even 6 1/2"
Try two 10's with two 12" passive radiators and a sealed box ! Or vis versa!