PDA

View Full Version : antifreez and oil mixing

88hondaaccordlx-i...
01-11-2006, 12:35 PM
wat happens when the antifreez and oil are mixing :sad2:

and how much it cost to get that fix

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-11-2006, 12:42 PM
That is usually a sign that your headgasket is blown. Fixing this requires the head to be removed and possibly resurfaced if it is warped. Cost varies depending on whether you do it yourself, or someone else does it for you. A gasket set is about $90. So if you do the labor yourself, you can fix the problem for $100-150. Paying someone else to do it for you may cost 3 or 4 times as much. Your best bet is to get a few estimates from local shops if you are not mechanically inclined. Hope this helps.

voiceinurhead05
01-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Headgaskets are a pain in the ass. It's not hard, just time consuming, and sometimes frustrating... be prepared to swear alot is all I'm saying. If you undo the head bolts in the right order, you won't warp your head. You also want to refasten the bolts in the right order and torque them equally. The first headgasket I did (in my accord) was a 2-day job, but If I had to do it again, I could probably have it done in 5 hours. When you're done, you want to be sure that you use fresh oil and antifreeze.